Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

47370 Views 279 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2012 7:44 AM by KD8FQM RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 Previous Next
  • HouseKat Amateur 17 posts since
    Dec 4, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Dec 9, 2011 9:21 AM (in response to lisabel2010)
    Any December 2011 starters?

I live in Southwestern Indiana.

Completed C25K W1D2 on Wednesday night.  Strangely, I found it to be harder than D1, even though it was the same workout.  After the first segment of running I was sure that I would not be able to finish, but I kept pushing on through until I was done.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Started C25K December 4th, 2011

Completed: W5D2 (4x)

• Kouripoulavi Expert 44 posts since
    Nov 28, 2011
    46. Dec 9, 2011 9:49 AM (in response to HouseKat)

Good Job Housekat...I always find day two and 3 harder...I think it's because I am more fresh on day one! Keep on going! : )

• KateInWI Amateur 21 posts since
    Dec 7, 2011
    47. Dec 9, 2011 3:15 PM (in response to Kouripoulavi)

Last Run: Yesterday W4D1 Run 3 min, walk 1-1/2 min, run 5 min, walk 2-1/2 min, run 3 min, walk 1-1/2 min, run 5 min.

Next Run: Tomorrow or Sunday W4D2

How I'm feeling: Proud that I finished W4D1. It wasn't easy for me...definitely a step up. Hopeful that it will start to feel easier at some point. After this run my legs felt very "twitchy" (for lack of a better word to describe it), and that had not happened during any of the previous weeks' runs. Anyone else have that? Also, my HRM said I was exercising at 90% of my maximum heart rate?? I also had to return my new minimalist "barefoot" running shoes today. I think they were half a size too small, and the store didn't have my size.

• ChallengeMarla Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 9, 2011
    48. Dec 9, 2011 4:23 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

I just started (W2D1). I'm also just starting to transition to barefoot/vibram running...and I love it!!! I think the Couch to 5k program is the perfect way to painlessly make the switch. It's been magical haha. No more foot and leg cramps, my arches are no longer rejecting the rest of my body, and no more shin pain. For the first time I actually love running...even if its just for 90 seconds followed by a 2 minute walk haha. But I did run a 1/2 mile at a good pace after I completed the program today. I know it says to stick to the program, but I felt like I wasn't done yet...is this terrible?

• txtnneon Amateur 29 posts since
    Nov 21, 2011
    49. Dec 9, 2011 5:22 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

I just couldn't wait to get back from my W3D1 and share with y'all.  I DID IT!!  I really did it.  I know many of you can relate.  I started this program struggling to just do 20 seconds.  Today I did the full session without stopping on any segment!  I really went slow, but I don't care!  I think the neighbors driving home thought i was crazy when I was waving my hands in the air like Rocky Balboa on the steps in Philadelphia!!!  LOL

I am doing a 5 mile Jingle Bell run on Sunday and will do the walk/run pace kinda thing.  So, I will probably do my hot yoga tomorrow and wait to do W3D2 on Sunday.  The hot yoga helps keep me stretched out and that is a very good thing.

My oldest son is coming home from college a week early,so I will have a buddy next week.  That keeps me so motivated.  He has lost 50 pounds this semester and I"m going to catch up to him this holiday.  I told him I initially wanted to lose 50 pounds by graduation in May and then another 30 by his wedding in 2013.  I'm now going to lose all 80 by his graduation and KEEP IT OFF for his wedding!!! 

Thanks for all the posting.  It really helps me stay focused and motivated.  Not many folks I work with understand this C25K struggle.  Thanks to each and every one of you!!!

• kyleos Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 7, 2011
    50. Dec 9, 2011 8:02 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

Hey, started running after a long hiatus.  Will be attempting W2D3 tomorrow morning.  I used to run in high school competitively but pretty much gave it up after a couple years in college.  Decided I have had enough of being out of shape and carrying more weight than I want.  I have already signed up for a Rugged Maniac race in April so I am committed to finishing this and moving on to a  bridge to 10k but I have to will myself to get through this.  I am trying not to push too hard though, you guys have the right attitude that it isn't how fast or far but finishing each interval.

• Katterin Amateur 13 posts since
    Nov 21, 2011
    51. Dec 10, 2011 1:38 PM (in response to Kouripoulavi)

Last run: Finished about an hour ago.  W3D1, second attempt after first incomplete attempt led to an asthma attack.  Warm up and most walks at 3.0 mph, some walking toward the end at 2.8, 90 sec. runs at 4.5, 3 minute runs at 4.2 except for the last 40 seconds of the second run at 4.0.

Next run: Monday, W3D2. Goal: stay at the 3.0 and 4.2 speeds without needing to slow down.

How I'm feeling: Great!  Today felt like such a success after Wednesday's struggles.  I know most of the difference was due to remembering my inhaler before running this time, as well as an extra day of rest, but it still feels good to do what I wasn't able to just a few days ago.

One nice thing about the 3 minute runs is they make 90 seconds seem easy! I couldn't believe how quickly the second one went by.

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    52. Dec 10, 2011 3:32 PM (in response to Katterin)

W1D1 a few hours ago. I had the confidence to take it out a bit faster than I had my two previous attempts at C25K. Yes, probably breathing a bit faster than I should have been but I'm trying to clear crud out of my lungs. I don't know why but I'm already gulping over 3 minute runs - even though I've done them before & they went fine.

I've got to stop doing that to myself.

Happy Sunday, everybody.

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• txtnneon Amateur 29 posts since
    Nov 21, 2011
    54. Dec 11, 2011 1:48 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

Just finished the 5mile Jingle Bell run. I did W3D2 twice during the run but then my phone battery died.  My legs were a bit wobbly during the second time. I walked the rest of the time to finish after my phone died. Unfortunately, my Nike+ didnt keep working in the background. Bummer.

Thank goodness it is going to be back in the upper 70's next week. I like that better, at the moment!!

Everybody keep up the great work!!!!!

• RaptorTC Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 11, 2011
    55. Dec 12, 2011 8:59 PM (in response to flatwatertx)
    Re: Any December 2011 starters?

Hi everyone. I just found this whole program today and realized its exactly what I've been looking for for a long time, I'm so excited to start and with the great little community we have here I hope I can keep it going.

I've always been jealous of people who can get out there and run like the wind, so I figured what better time than now to become one of those people. I bought myself a little early Christmas present of some Nike Free Run shoes and I'm all ready to go. I just wish the weather in Michigan was warm enough to head outside, but I'm hoping that I can reward myself with my first warm weather run being great.

I can't wait go get started! Good luck to everyone else and keep pushing through!

• clockersfancy Amateur 18 posts since
    Nov 30, 2011
    56. Dec 11, 2011 6:13 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

I started the program November 30th. I am so not a runner but because I travel a lot I need an exercise I can do anywhere. I try to get to the gym on my off days of the program and so far so good. My left knee is bothering me a bit--I am in Hawaii this week and running on concrete with more of an incline than I am used to so that may explain that problem. Just did W2D3 and I'm a little nervous about week 3 so I read the comments with great interest. I might have to do week 2 over again, but maybe not. Thanks for all the posting, it makes me happy to know there are others out there doing the same thing!

• HouseKat Amateur 17 posts since
    Dec 4, 2011
    57. Dec 11, 2011 6:22 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

I did W1D3 today, it went better than W1D2.  I'm trying to decide if I'm going to repeat a W1 run again or move on to W2D1.  Also, today was the first time that I ran during the day, the other two times were at midnight and 9 pm so I would be less likely to be seen.

I love the graphic!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Started C25K December 4th, 2011

Completed: W5D2 (4x)

• Kouripoulavi Expert 44 posts since
    Nov 28, 2011
    58. Dec 11, 2011 6:41 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

BAHAHAHA...Flatwater...THat is priceless.

I am 100% convinced that the picture you posted sums me up! : )

In fact this morning I was out driving and saw a man running on the sidewalk. SUPER slow.  And I thought, man, that guy looks like me.  So i smiled and waved.

I did W3D3 on Friday.  Oh man.  I did NOT want to do it.  I told myself to start...I did.  I didn't want to continue.  I told myself to continue...I did.  I did not want to finish.  I told myself to finish.  I did!!!!!! MAn, it was super hard.  THen I realized I was running with an incline.  I never set it at an incline.  That might be why my legs hurt so bad by the end. 

Tomorrow is W4D1.  I am not going to lie.  Week four looks confusing. I'm kind of worried that I won't get through...I'm MOST worried about W4D3...but that's still 5 days away for me, So I won't let it worry me yet!

I can't wait to see if I can get through....

Thanks everyone for posting...hearing from you all really does help keep me motivated...and what I need is some motivation to make sure I get through this.

: )

R

• KateInWI Amateur 21 posts since
    Dec 7, 2011
    59. Dec 12, 2011 9:52 AM (in response to Kouripoulavi)

Wait a sec...isn't W4D3 the same as W4D1 and W4D2?? I hope I don't have a different version of the program. I completed W4D1 at the end of last week but didn't run over the weekend. I'm having a really hard time finding the right size shoe! I returned a pair on Friday that were too small, and now the ones I have seem too large...urgh! I haven't run in them yet. I'm going to try W4D2 later today, and we'll see how it goes...

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...