Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

50472 Views 279 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2012 7:44 AM by KD8FQM Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 Previous Next
  • Kouripoulavi Expert 44 posts since
    Nov 28, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Dec 12, 2011 10:28 AM (in response to KateInWI)
    Any December 2011 starters?

KateinWI...it's the same.  I just always have an easier time with Day 1 because I do it fresh after two days off from running!  Day 3 I do on Friday.  I'm usually tired from a long week.  Friday at 5pm is probably not my optimal running time! : )  No worries, I'm sure we're using the same program!

Housekat...my opinion is try week 2...if it doesn't work...go back to one, but at least you would have tried...who knows. Maybe you will surprise yourself ; )

AS for me...I did not sleep well last night, and I'm feeling tired, and I have a headache, and just kind of blah.  I know all of these things are trying to talk me out of running tonight, but I think I'm going to give it my best try.  I'm going out of townthis weekend so I need to stay on task with my workouts or I will mess up week 5. 

Wish me luck... tonight is walk 5 minutes, jog 3, walk 90 seconds, jog 5 minutes, walk 2 1/2 mins, jog 3 minutes, walk 90 seconds, jog 5 minutes, walk 5 minutes.  SERIOUSLY...this feels like a big jump from last week. 

I'll let y'all know how it goes!

R

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    61. Dec 12, 2011 1:12 PM (in response to Kouripoulavi)

Kouripoulaiv, it IS a big jump. The first week, we run a total of 8 minutes per day. Weeks two & three may be structured differently but we run no more than 9 minutes per day each week. Week 4, that jumps up to SIXTEEN minutes. That's a jump no matter how you measure it. I keep telling myself the first three weeks are 'running prep' - nursery school for the runner I want to be.

W1D2 just completed... so far so good.

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• RaptorTC Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 11, 2011
    63. Dec 12, 2011 8:55 PM (in response to flatwatertx)
    Re: Any December 2011 starters?

Just finished W1D1 tonight. But I just realized that I had the time backwards and did 90 seconds of running and 60 seconds of walking, oops! My calves are making me pay for the mistake tonight!

• offmycouch Pro 70 posts since
    Jun 22, 2011
    64. Dec 13, 2011 6:25 AM (in response to flatwatertx)

KateInWI:  Where are you in WI?  I am also in Wisc.

I did W4D1 last night.  I didn't realize it was 5 minutes at a time running until I heard her say it on the podcast.  First thing that went through my mind was "I'll never be able to do that!".  But, I did it.  I am so happy I pushed through.  I am sure D2 and D3 will seem a little more difficult but knowing that I can do it is very motivating for me.

I took the advise on the podcast and slowed down, which seemed to help a lot.  I am doing this on the treadmill and did it on a 1.5% incline (rather than the 3% I did the other weeks at) and slowed the walk to 3.4 and the jog to 4.4.  I have told myself to concentrate on the time rather than the speed.  Speed comes later from what I have read, but I guess I am not doing this for speed.  I want to be able to finish a 5K, not win the darn thing.

Hope everyone is still feeling motivated!

Kris

Nov 28, 2011
    65. Dec 13, 2011 7:28 AM (in response to offmycouch)

Man...I think I had a little bit of a mental block going in to week 4. 

Last night I was thinking 16 minutes?????  They want me to jog for 16 minutes!?!?!?!?  (THANKS slogon! )

And then I had a headache, and my stomache kind of hurt and I was generally not in the best place...But my husband met me at the gym (motivation to actually show up!!!)  I changed, stretched, and got on the treadmill.  I kept telling myself the goal was to do the routine as given.  I kept it slow...and in my head I was saying, "Ok, Good job, keep going...the tightness in your legs will probably get worse, you'll probably be wishing for it to finish, but keep going...keep going...you're doing good." I also kept telling myself to focus on the rythmn of my feet hitting the treadmill...like thinking about getting into a groove instead of "how many more minutes do I have" 

The 2 1/2 minute walk in the middle seemed to take the longest.  And I was counting down in the last 5 minute section. 

The last minute of the last part of jogging I had a huge smile across my face.  Who was it that was talking about pumping their fists on their front steps???? I SO wanted to do that.  I was proud.  I did it!!!!!

Now...to do it two more times this week...CRAZY!

Kris, We're at the same place in the program!  Only you are running at a higher incline and faster speed than me.  I was definitely moving at a crawl...at the pace I did last night I could finish a 5K in about 49 minutes. Think I'm going to try to pick up that pace a bit tomorrow for day 2...we'll see if I can.  : )

Happy Running Y'all...I have an off day tonight...probably going to hit the weights and stay away frmo Cardio..maybe a quick 20 minutes on a bike or something. 

YAY!

• KateInWI Amateur 21 posts since
    Dec 7, 2011
    66. Dec 13, 2011 8:39 AM (in response to offmycouch)

Kris: I am in the northcentral part of the state, between Eau Claire and Wausau. Where are you?

I did W4D2 yesterday after taking 3 days off. I was dreading it because I had a hard time with W4D1, but it actually went great! I kept the treadmill at the same speed and incline that I had for day one, but I felt like it was easier than day 1 for me. I've also been wearing a heart rate monitor, and it says I spent less time above 85% than I had during day 1, so that's good!!  Keep up the good work everyone!!

• Stephanie1978 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 13, 2011
    67. Dec 13, 2011 9:14 AM (in response to flatwatertx)

Can I chime in even though I started in November? I just started week 5 yesterday. That 20 minutes on Friday is looking seriously daunting.

This is my...13th(?) time trying C25k.  I only made it past week one once, about 10 years ago.  I finished the C25K, but after that I just didn't know what to do anymore, so I just...stopped.  This time I'm hoping to make it a life-long habit.

I want to love running, so I really am determined.

Jun 22, 2011
    68. Dec 13, 2011 9:16 AM (in response to KateInWI)

I am not too far from you Kate.  I am in northwestern Wisconsin....Osceola.

Glad to know that W4D2 isn't something to dread...

@Kouri ~ Good for you for doing something active on your 'days off'.  Maybe that's one of my problems.  I am a slug on my days off. 

Kris

• txtnneon Amateur 29 posts since
    Nov 21, 2011
    69. Dec 13, 2011 10:58 AM (in response to flatwatertx)

I did W3D3 this morning as I played hooky from school. My oldest son is in town so he got up with me and did it too!!  It was so pleasurable using him with me!!!  He said he is going out with me each time I go while he s hoe. Talk about motivation!!!!!  He graduates in May and is moving to California so any extra time with him s a blessing!!

Anyway, I was surprised that W3D3 didn't suck. Day 2 seemed to be such a struggle on sunday. We'll see how W4 goes tomorrow. I do hot yoga on my days off and that helps me feel more stretched out.

Kouripoulavi-- keep up the great work. It is so invigorating and exciting, isn't it!!!!!!

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    70. Dec 13, 2011 1:16 PM (in response to txtnneon)

Kouripoulavi - 10 lashes with a muddy shoe lace for me! I realize now my post could have been interpreted as meaning sixteen minutes STRAIGHT of running. Sorry if that cared you. At this stage it would terrify me. I know I'll get there but I've got a few weeks to put in before that.

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• clockersfancy Amateur 18 posts since
    Nov 30, 2011
    71. Dec 13, 2011 9:43 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

I am so glad you guys are "out there". Today I did W3D1 on the flats on the beach road. I even talked my husband into joining me since I was a little distracted and thought maybe he would be good company. He was and I made it through without having to stop or without any great pain. I'm so pleased that I could do it since prior to starting this program I could barely run to the end of our lane without feeling totally wiped out. Thanks for being out there for support, I love reading everyone's comments and sharing the excitement that comes with moving forward.

• clockersfancy Amateur 18 posts since
    Nov 30, 2011
    72. Dec 13, 2011 9:48 PM (in response to offmycouch)

Hey Kris, where is the podcast? I guess I missed that--is it an ap for an IPhone or IPod? Thanks for the heads up!

Jun 22, 2011
    73. Dec 14, 2011 7:18 AM (in response to clockersfancy)

@clockersfancy: 

The podcast that I use is called something like 'NHS Couch to 5K' or NHS Choices (I am not too sure which).  I downloaded it from their website to my iPod but I have heard there are aps too.

I believe iTunes also has a version (or two) of a C25K podcast but the music was not to my liking.  I'd love to find one with music that I like.  For now, the NHS version is OK (I have one earbud in listening to the podcast and one ear listening to a show on TV).  And I like the sound of the womans voice (and her accent).  It really helps to have someone in your ear telling you when to walk and when to run.

Kris

Nov 28, 2011
    74. Dec 14, 2011 1:23 PM (in response to offmycouch)

Alright everyone...I'm hopping on the boards this afternoon to pump me up for me W4D2 jog!!!! 

Welcome to the new folks posting.  I have found this thread to be pretty supportive! We're at a lot of different places in the program, so, my personal opinion is that it's important to remind each other where we are, and where we are heading with this.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about tonight's routine!!!  I'm hoping it goes as well as Monday. 

I'm also looking ahead to next week. Y'all know what happens at the end of next week.  Christmas....oh man.  I'm not sure if you're families celebrate Christmas, or other holidays this time of year, but it's coming, and that means CRAZY schedules.  I'm hoping I can make it through the next couple weeks and through the new year. 

That means the week between Christmas and New Years will be week 6 for me.  There's a lot of minutes in that week! : ) The good news is that I have a good friend hopefully coming into town on the 30th...she's jogging a bit these days.  I might make her hit the treadmills with me to help me through the 22 minutes! : )

YIKES....

How do you all plan on making it through the Holidays???

I'll let y'all know how W4D2 goes.  I'm crossing my fingers!!!

R

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...