Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5549 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2011 1:49 PM by Jasko123
Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
Apr 18, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 11, 2011 4:02 PM

Runner protection from irresponsible pet owners?

Please share any advice or safety measures that might assist in avoiding dog attacks.  (Spent all morning in the E.R. after being chased and bitten by (literally a pack of pit-bulls).  I am very fortunate that I survived and the injuries were mostly confined to the lower back portion of my left thigh, but there are still are numerous, painful puncture wounds and one deep, long slash that penetrated well into my hamstring muscle.  Animal Control did respond and all four dogs were located (belonging to the same owner).  None are up to date on their vaccinations, so I may be facing the series of rabies shots.  (Hopefully not, if all the dogs are healthy following the mandatory 10-day quarantine).  Anyway, this attack happened on main street in a well populated area, so it makes me wonder if there are truly any secure locations to exercise anymore.  I have been walking and running the same route for years with few disruptions.  Honestly, had I been carrying any protection, I doubt I would have been able to access it because the attack just came on so quickly.  Also, my headphones were full-blast and, of course, I could not hear them coming.  Any suggestions for the future are greatly appreciated.

• Lickeysplit Amateur 7 posts since
    Dec 11, 2011
    1. Dec 11, 2011 5:41 PM (in response to Jasko123)
    Re: Runner protection from irresponsible pet owners?

That is terrible, my only suggestion would be to get a 25 caliber Beretta Bobcat, it only weighs 13 oz.  It is a damn shame that people can't have the freedom to go outside their homes without being mauled by dogs. At least you live in a town where animal control  will respond. Where I live (the dog poop capital of the world) Midland, TX one would be very lucky to get a response. I carry a wooden stick with me when I run but that only offers protection from one dog, more than one and I would surely be killed. I am considering getting a gun but where I live one has to go to classes and get a license just to exercise his constitutional right to bear arms.

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    2. Dec 11, 2011 6:49 PM (in response to Jasko123)

Jasko123 Hope your Ok. That's awful news. Hope you'll recover quickly. It really could of been much worse. I would like to know what they intend to do to the owner and the four pitbulls.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Dec 12, 2011 10:13 AM (in response to Webpro11)

Hope you recover quickly both physically and mentally.  I do not have the answer.  Good luck

• erik-k Expert 36 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    4. Dec 12, 2011 12:52 PM (in response to Jasko123)

Best I can think of is some of the pepper sprays that they sell for runners--the ones that strap to your hands or wrist for instant use.  Haven't had the need to try but I'm told a spray in the eyes and nose is as effective against dogs as it is against muggers.  This kind of thing- http://www.runsafety.com/

Hope you recover quickly and completely, and that you don't have to pay a dime for it.

• allmylove Expert 51 posts since
    Apr 24, 2011
    5. Dec 12, 2011 3:39 PM (in response to Jasko123)

Not sure what container you could use, but my mother used to say that when she used to train for bike racing she would carry a special water bottle of ammonia, one spray in the face and they won't come back again.

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    6. Dec 12, 2011 3:45 PM (in response to Jasko123)

My sympathy Jasko. I was bitten by a dog Thanksgiving morning while on my run. Fortunately, my bite only left a couple of cuts where the fangs penetrated and the hamstring was sore and bruised for a wk. I was on a country road, saw the dog come out barking, stopped in my tracks, he came up behind me, stopped and then grabbed my leg and finally went back over to his porch and laid down. I had to come back that same way on my return, so stopped before getting there and walked past.  The dog decided to stay on the porch this time.   The dog's owner said he would destroy the dog as he had been running livestock too.

I've always been a dog lover and pretty much unafraid of them, but I admit that this experience and reading about yours, has me a lot more leary.  We runners have to be fully aware of our surroundings, whether they are dogs, impared drivers, or thugs. 

I hope you recover quickly and don't let this incident negatively affect your running.

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    8. Dec 13, 2011 5:46 PM (in response to Jasko123)

I used to live close to a river. And those of you who live near rivers know that roads can be kinda crazy because of the smaller number of bridges to get across. All this is to say, when I went running -- in order to get out to some good road I had really only one option.

Unfortunately, that one road option forced me to run past a farm house that sat about 2-tenths of a mile off the road. Their doberman used to sit in front of the house. Because of the openess of the big lawn in front of the house he would often see me coming and would wait for me to go by, or if he saw me later -- he would race down the driveway to get me. I used to be able to hold him off by yelling, ocassionally kicking, and sometimes charging back at him.

But one day I found a broken fan belt from a trailer truck on side the road.. Cut, the belt formed a formidable whip. I used to carry it with me past the house, and drop it off at the base of a road-side sign just past the farm house. On my way back I'd pick it up, and drop it off at the base of another road-side sign on the way home. It would be there for the next run.

When I let that fan-belt swing around the dog was a little more than nervous. He would still charge to the road, but when I let the fan belt fall open out of my hand -- he learned to stop.

• Lickeysplit Amateur 7 posts since
    Dec 11, 2011
    9. Dec 14, 2011 12:38 PM (in response to skypilot77)

That's a great idea, skypilot77. I'll be carrying a fan belt on my next run, should be lighter & more effective than a stick.

• nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    10. Dec 14, 2011 1:16 PM (in response to Jasko123)

Dog Owners and Responsibility.

Isn't that what they call an oxymoron?

I won't say much more, but dog owners are right up there with idiotic NFL fans for me.  I guess I'd rather have to tolerate the Idiot NFL types since they don't invade my space as much as the moronic inconsiderate dog owners.

• JasonFitz1 Legend 574 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    11. Dec 14, 2011 4:33 PM (in response to Jasko123)

Last winter I was bit by a dog twice - once on my left hand and once on my left forearm. It happened so fast. Unfortunately I didn't get the owner's information but in hindsight, I definitely should have.

I think any runner who has an encounter like this where he's bitten should immediately get the dog owner's contact information so you can follow up if necessary.

Plus, wearing something like Road ID is always a good idea in case the worst happens.

- Jason.

Strength Running
  • nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    13. Dec 17, 2011 8:57 AM (in response to Jasko123)

Not a dang thing you can do about an ambush.  When I was 18, a black lab I knew of for years (lived about 4 houses down the road from us), one day decided I shouldn't be running on the road, and came up from behind me, unseen and unprovoked, and took a hunk of flesh out of my ***.  What can you do to prepare for and prevent such an event?  Absolutely nothing.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points