Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

50505 Views 279 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2012 7:44 AM by KD8FQM Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19 Previous Next
  • txtnneon Amateur 29 posts since
    Nov 21, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Dec 14, 2011 7:50 PM (in response to flatwatertx)
    Any December 2011 starters?

i was so excited how W4D1 went this morning!!!I was able to do all of it as planned!!!!!  WOOHOOOOO

We're going out of town for 10 days so I'm wworried aabout keeping up wiith the program.  But I am taking my running gear for cold weather and hope to keep the three days a week regime!!   Holidays are so tough!!

• Katterin Amateur 13 posts since
    Nov 21, 2011
    76. Dec 14, 2011 8:37 PM (in response to txtnneon)
    Re: Any December 2011 starters?

Week 3, day 2 was yesterday, and was a success...I met my goal of maintaining the treadmill speeds I started at (3.0 mph walk, 4.5 for 90 second runs, 4.2 for 3 minute runs) and not needing to slow down like I did on W3D1.

Before I got started, one of the gym's trainers stopped me and asked if I'd ever had one of their free introductory sessions, and we set one up for today.  I'd been planning to schedule a session or two to get some tips for strength training, for general health and to help with endurance for running.  It went pretty well and I was able to do everything he set out for me, though some of it was challenging.  I went ahead and signed up for three more sessions.  I won't be able to afford to do much more than that - today was free and the next three are at a special rate - but hopefully I can get a routine established for some of my non-running days.  Tomorrow, W3D3.  I'm feeling good about it.

We're going out of town for the holidays. No treadmill available at the relatives' house (and my gym does not have locations there).  I'm definitely planning to get out for some run/walking, but I'm not sure yet if I'm going to try to follow the program schedule or if I'm just going to play it by ear and run or walk according to what I feel like I can do.  Cold weather tends to trigger my asthma and the last time I tried running outside it did not go well (not asthma-related), so the more improvised approach may let me keep up the pattern of running while sticking to what I can do on that particular day.

• lovebaby230 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2011
    77. Dec 14, 2011 9:03 PM (in response to Katterin)
    Re: Any December 2011 starters?

?good luck ,everyboby

www.langlang123.com

• Kouripoulavi Expert 44 posts since
    Nov 28, 2011
    78. Dec 15, 2011 8:21 AM (in response to Katterin)

W4D2 is in the books!

You know what's weird, txtnneon?  I saw you post about W4D1 and thought, she's a week ahead of me...good job her.  I have all that tough stuff ahead of me. ...and I realized NO, I am in Week 4 too!!!!  I'd forgotten I had the bigger runs this week too, AND I just ran W4D2 last night. 

You know what that means?!?!?!?  I think my brain is settling into the challenge.  I'm not quite as fearful (at least of week 4!) anymore! Which means, this program might just work!!!

So, last night I felt stronger on the treadmill.  I must have moved a little slower because I didn't quite cover the same distance, but I felt stronger, not as much like I was going to die.  I sweat a LOT last night, and was wearing a cotton long sleeve shirt so that might have had something to do with the warmth I was feeling.

Tomorrow I'm going to run in the morning because I am going out of town.  I never run in the morning, so it should be interesting!

Tonight I'm going to swim.  My legs are a little tired still. 

Overall, I'm feeling stronger, and more fit.  After 2 more weeks, I might start using the term "jogger" in reference to myself!  It still seems strange that if all goes according to plan, that in the next couple weeks I should be able to jog three days a week for 20ish minutes.  I guess I'll believe it when I see it!

: )

• HouseKat Amateur 17 posts since
    Dec 4, 2011
    79. Dec 15, 2011 9:56 AM (in response to flatwatertx)

I also decided to do a fourth Week 1 run.  It went well and makes me feel more confident about tackling Week 2.

Question: I'm thinking about doing 30 minute walks on my off days - would that be detrimental?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Started C25K December 4th, 2011

Completed: W5D2 (4x)

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    80. Dec 15, 2011 10:22 AM (in response to HouseKat)

Walking is great.  I have a large dog that we walk twice a day for a total of 3-4 miles.  I do that even on running days.  I also do other aerobic type exercises on non-running days like bicycling and exercise dvds and trail hiking. 

• Kouripoulavi Expert 44 posts since
    Nov 28, 2011
    81. Dec 15, 2011 12:08 PM (in response to HouseKat)

HouseKat...I second what Ginny says...go ahead and walk. I think anything that gets your heart used to pumping like this will help with the cardiovascular shape that we are in.

I'm trying to incorporate biking and swimming.  I happen to belong to a gym that gives me the option of doing any of these thigns and I LOVE to swim.  It's so calming to me, no one can talk to you for as long as your face is in the water.  Brilliant! : )

I biked 5 miles on Tuesday and then lifted weights on my day off then. I am swimming tonight...hopefully I will go a mile.  The water is going to be soooooooooo cold.  not sure I'm ready for that.

I usually take Saturday and Sunday totally off.  Working full time and throwing an hour + of exercise in each day on the weekdays, plus I volunteer on Tuesday nights...well, come the weekend, I have stuff I need to do at the house! : )

Good Job us!!!!  Look at us getting a start on all those New Year's Resolution folks.  Come New Years, we'll all be jogging multiple minutes! And to that I saw, Well Done!!!

• clockersfancy Amateur 18 posts since
    Nov 30, 2011
    83. Dec 15, 2011 5:58 PM (in response to offmycouch)

Thanks so much, off the couch Kris. I will check it out. Today I did W3D2 and made it through with some sore knees but other than that I was fine. I have been running while holding my IPod and using the stop watch. It would be lovely to have someone to tell me what to do (I'm laughing as I write this) if only to have a little company talking to me while I run. I'm usually counting for some weird reason; I have no idea where that came from!

• clockersfancy Amateur 18 posts since
    Nov 30, 2011
    85. Dec 15, 2011 7:20 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

How funny, flatwater! I have no idea why I count but it seems to make the time go by faster for some reason. Music would be way more fun, I'm sure. I think I needed to concentrate on something to pass the time but now I seem to be getting into the groove a little bit more. Perhaps I should change to square roots or something

• Katterin Amateur 13 posts since
    Nov 21, 2011
    86. Dec 15, 2011 8:00 PM (in response to clockersfancy)

Well.  After my workout with the trainer yesterday - a large portion of which consisted of squats in some form or another - my quads were so sore today that, well, let's just say one of the bigger adventures of my day has been lowering myself into a sitting position on the toilet.  Running W3D3 a few hours ago loosened them up some, but...ouch.  I couldn't quite maintain the speeds I had last time, and I was at 4.0 mph for the last three minute run.  At that speed, I can either walk or run, and I did end up walking the last part of it, though at a faster speed than my normal walk intervals.

Tomorrow is completely off.  Saturday was going to be a running day, but I have another appointment with the trainer.  (I need to get a little more assertive with him in terms of making sure the appointments fit my other workout plans and not just his schedule, but that's another story.)  Part of me wants to run first, take a short break, and then meet with the trainer, but I feel like that might be too much for me at this point.

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    87. Dec 15, 2011 8:49 PM (in response to Katterin)

I hadn't thought abut the fact we're getting a jump on our New Year's Resolutions, if we were thinking of making any! My town has a Resolution Run on January 8th but it's an 8km run & there's one looooong, steep hill involved. I'm struggling with the idea of entering anyway - even if I walk/run it; I'll be doing a lot more than I've ever done before. By the time the Valentine's Day 5k rolls around - I'll be ready! But man... January... I'll only be in week 5... 5 miles is a scary thought.

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• offmycouch Pro 70 posts since
    Jun 22, 2011
    88. Dec 16, 2011 7:15 AM (in response to clockersfancy)

@Clockers. 

I think you will like using a Podcast.  When I was running outside and using a stop watch/watch, I found I would peek at it way too often.  Now, I don't even look at the time (I try not to anyway) on the treadmill.  I try to concentrate on what I am watching on TV rather than how tired I am getting....then "the voice in my ear" tells me I'm halfway, or I when I can walk.

I did W3 for two weeks and I think it helped me get thru W4 easier, so I am all for doing a week as many times as you want.  (I am toying with the idea of doing W4 twice too)

Everyone seems to be doing so well.  It is very inspiring and motivating for me. 

Kris

• j-fish Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 16, 2011
    89. Dec 16, 2011 8:44 AM (in response to flatwatertx)

Hi new starters! Good to know I'm not alone. I'm a middle-age mom starting to run for the first time Dec. 12. Just finished W1D3. I found the C25k site to help me reach my goal of running a 5k in April. I also wouldn't mind dropping 20 lbs, if that's a side effect of running : ) . I am jogging/ walking at an indoor 442 meter oval to get out of the house and beat the winter blahs. I love playing Ultimate Frisbee (like soccer, but catching and tossing a Frisbee disc) from spring to fall, and I'm ready to kick it up to the next level. When I hit the field in the spring, I want to be faster and stronger. Good luck, everyone! I wish you lots of endorphins!

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...