Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2663 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2011 4:31 PM by JMHeat RSS
Corkers Amateur 34 posts since
Nov 12, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 17, 2011 8:19 AM

Carrying Stuff

I'm sure this one has been answered before, but I figured I'd ask again and push it to the top for other people to see:

How do I carry stuff when I'm running? 

I usually run alone, and compete in races without anyone I know around.  I have no idea how to carry stuff with me--ID and keys, phone, and yes, for race times I may want a camera with me.  I tried an old fanny pack, but the thing jiggles, and I find that during longer runs it even flips completely around on me, so that it starts bouncing against my back.

Does anyone know of a surefire belt that won't bounce or rub me raw, or maybe even a shoulder holster where I can keep my stuff?

Also, does anyone here carry a small towel with them?  Where should I keep that?  The best idea I have is a small washcloth just to rub the sweat from my eyes.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Dec 17, 2011 2:57 PM (in response to Corkers)
    Carrying Stuff

Hi Corkers,

You best bet may be to check out the options from iFitness, Spibelt or Nathan.  I think they all have smaller models with a tighter fit and smaller pockets.  Honestly, I am not a big fan of running belts because somehow, as you suggested, they all end up being too cumbersome in one way or another.  Still, the more advanced options seem to offer some improvements.  Maybe look at some of the running vests, although most are designed for hydration or safety visability. 

If you have the option, consider leaving personal items in your car or asking to put them behind the event registration desk. 

Wishing you all the best!

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    2. Dec 17, 2011 3:07 PM (in response to Corkers)
    Carrying Stuff

I use an amphipod belt which is very small (it does hold my droid which is actually quite a big phone) and it  doesn't jiggle around when I run.  It also held my car key at my 5k, but for everyday I carry 1 house key on a lanyard which I wear around my neck and tuck under my shirt.  I don't even notice it's there.  Otherwise I try not to carry much.  Good luck

• rkblackwell Amateur 36 posts since
    May 19, 2010
    3. Dec 17, 2011 7:15 PM (in response to Corkers)
    Re: Carrying Stuff

For winter, I bought an REI Flash 18 pack.  It's basically a super light backpack, which you can use with a hydration system.

I find that I need to carry my MicroSpikes, extra hat, neck gaiter, balaclava, snacks, headlamp, etc.  It's an awesome, minimal backpack, and under $30 when I bought it.  Here's a link and no, I'm in no way associated with REI:  http://www.rei.com/product/778466/rei-flash-18-pack

Note that in the pic, they've stuffed the pack to show how much stuff it can store, it's really not like a rolled-up sleeping bag.

• RunGoddessBA Amateur 24 posts since
    Dec 8, 2011
    4. Dec 19, 2011 8:42 AM (in response to Corkers)
    Carrying Stuff

I've got two pouches on my fuel belt, one has an inside zippered pocket for license, cash, etc. One pocket is used for personal items and the other for carrying Gu also I would suggest checking out Spibelt. I can't recall seeing anyone carrying a towel during a race but you would probably want something that could clip to your belt like a golf towel clips to a golf bag.

RunGoddess developer of the finest temporary tattoos for runners and triathletes. Free shipping to Canada and the US on orders $13.00 or greater.

• Tac5 Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 19, 2011
    5. Dec 19, 2011 5:00 PM (in response to Corkers)
    Carrying Stuff

Hi Corkers & runners,

Ive just developed a product that aims to solve the very problem you are experiencing!  I was having this same problem.  The product is called Underfuse and its a performance pocket specifically designed for running and working out.  It can be used to hold your phone, mp3 player, keys, and cards.  The pocket is backed with a specially formulated adhesive designed to bond to your favorite workout gear so no need to have another thing to carry around!  Underfuse attaches to clothing you already own, wear, and love. 

This isnt spam, this is a real product that is available for purchase if we get enough people to pledge!  Take a look, and let me know if you have any questions.  

www.underfuse.com

Happy running.

UF_KickStarter_Teaser_A.jpg

• Vegan802 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2009
    6. Dec 21, 2011 8:03 AM (in response to Corkers)
    Carrying Stuff

Sometimes I run in my bike tops. These are very comfortable with one to three back pockets. I can store my phone, key fob, ID and small chamois cloth to wipe my face and even a power bar or GU for longer runs/races. I really don't understand why more running tops don't include back pockets.

Faith

• MingoNC Amateur 11 posts since
    Dec 26, 2008
    7. Dec 22, 2011 6:01 AM (in response to Corkers)
    Carrying Stuff

don't carry a towel, but I do tie a bandana around my wrist instead ....

• _Miles Pro 147 posts since
    Jul 26, 2009
    8. Dec 22, 2011 8:27 AM (in response to Corkers)
    Carrying Stuff

I second the suggestion for spibelt. I wear one of those every run (it's small and tight enough it doesn't bounce around on me). Has a spandex zip pocket big enough to hold my bulky iphone as well as sometimes my id depending. I buy a lot of Nike shorts and pants that all have the zip pocket in the back and use that pocket to hold my keys, though it could probably fit a phone slightly smaller than an iphone. I do use an amphipod hydration belt on my longer runs and it has a pocket in it that could hold a lot more but on the whole the hydration belts are bulkier. However amphipod sells a lot of options. I like Mingo's idea for easily bringing a bandana, I have to admit I just use my shirt sleeves to wipe sweat and everything else as I run

-Miles

C25k Completed 08/19/11

OHR Completed 10/23/11

5k 09/24/11: 39:10

2011: 280 miles, ~14:00 mm avg

2012: 321.2 miles (so far)

• JMHeat Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 13, 2011
    9. Dec 23, 2011 4:31 PM (in response to Corkers)
    Carrying Stuff

I too had the same issue/problem when I first started running out doors.  I would like to buy a fancy belt, but I am extremely cheap so here's what I do:

Keys (car or house): tie it into my shoe lace or slip the tooth-edge of the key into my watch band.

Sweat Towel:  I often need to wipe my nose more than wiping sweat so I tie a bandana around my hand with the knot inside my palm (since I run with my fist closed anyway and I hold my mp3 player in the other hand, it balances my 2 sides out)

ID:  You can get a special ID braclet from RoadID.com that acts kinda like a dog-tag, you can put your name, home phone number, emergency contact, medical issues etc on it in case you get injured or go unconscious.

Phone: I still have trouble with that.  Sometimes I carry my phone in my hand and just tuck the bandana into my waist band and use it as needed.  If I'm running alone, or especially at night, I feel like I need my phone just in case.

Hope this helps! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points