Skip navigation

2150 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 19, 2011 10:45 AM by CourtHero
sdbasketball Amateur 12 posts since
Feb 6, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 3, 2011 2:03 PM

How can I jump higher?

Hey guys, I am about 5'7 and right now I can grab half the net. I would really like to touch rim, are there any ways to increase my jump without lifting weights?

Thanks.

• EliteBaller Pro 118 posts since
    Jun 14, 2011
    1. Dec 3, 2011 10:09 PM (in response to sdbasketball)
    How can I jump higher?

Squats, calf raises, jump roping, and stretching can all help yout vertical without having to use weights.

• Michal19 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 4, 2011
    2. Dec 4, 2011 6:24 AM (in response to sdbasketball)
    How can I jump higher?

And don't forget do speed running this is very good drill

• 66u21 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 4, 2011
    3. Dec 4, 2011 10:02 AM (in response to sdbasketball)
    How can I jump higher?

youtube shot science it help u a lot in ur game

• theworldofhoops Pro 52 posts since
    Oct 17, 2010
    4. Dec 12, 2011 8:02 AM (in response to sdbasketball)
    How can I jump higher?

I am a former college basketball player and currentbasketball skill trainer.

First things first...speaking strictly from an injury prevention prespective Iwould caution you away from using Air Alert. The program has a high number ofhigh impact exercises that can cause repetitive stress and over-use injuries.

These are all good exercises on their own, but using the same routine a fewdays a week will not get you far. These are also mainly bodyweight exercises,and won't build the explosiveness that lifts give you.

What you need is a good overall training program. Vertical gains will come as aside benefit of a great training program. The best exercise for building explosiveness are the explosive lifts (split squats, back squat, squat thrusters, deadlift, power clean, etc)). If you mix that in with some regular strength training and some plyometricsyou will see drastic increases in speed, strength, and most importantly yourperformance on the court.

Check out different exercises and videos here: Basketball Strength Training

If you have questions or want to discuss a training program feel free to contact me at joe@theworldofhoops.com

There is even more information here: Basketball Training

Joe

www.theworldofhoops.com

joe@theworldofhoops.com

• majorhoopsbasketball Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 18, 2010
    6. Dec 16, 2011 2:09 PM (in response to sdbasketball)
    How can I jump higher?

Always a great basketball question. This is always up for debate. If you are looking to increas the jumping ability without weights you can do a few things. First focus on your core specifically all areas of your abs. You have several muscles in your abs that are connected to your quads, and hamstrings which are the two major portions of your legs you use when jumping. The calf muscles also come into play but not really for the height you are jumping more for the spped at which you would leave the floor when jumping. So again focus on yoru abs, quads, and hamstrings. Box jumps are great for this or hurdle jumps. Focus on teh landing when performing hurdle or box jumps. By focusing on the landing you are shocking the fast twitch fibers in your muscles. If you have not performed these types of excercises please seek assistance from a trainer. There are many videos in reference to this training online and this has crossed over into general fitness but again please seek out a trainer when performing plyometric workouts. Check out StackTV.com for some awesome bball workouts. Good luck to you!

• theworldofhoops Pro 52 posts since
    Oct 17, 2010
    7. Dec 18, 2011 12:46 PM (in response to majorhoopsbasketball)
    How can I jump higher?

This isn't really up for debate at all by real trainers.  The only "debate" that is out there is because of all the bogus programs which make erroneous claims of adding 12" or more to a vertical...and claim vertical jumps of 50" or more (check the NBA Combine results and you will see the highest standing vertical over the last 8 years or so was just barely over 40".) You are correct in one thing, that you need to focus on fast twitch muscles (more specifically Type IIb muscle fibers).  You do this through heavy lifts and explosive movements (i.e. plyometrics) to the extent that it doesn't create muscle imbalances, and to the extent your programming has a sufficient build-up phases so your body can adjust to the impact of these exercises.  The focus should be on the largest muscle groups (and these exercises should almost always be done when you are fresh): quads and hamstrings.  While your training has a bias towards the type IIb muscles, you also need to be strengthening all the othe muscles in the body (abs, shoulders, calfs, chest, etc...).  I agree completely that this is best started by working with a local trainer / strength and conditioning coach to assure proper programming and technique.  I would look for someone with credentials from the NSCA (either a CSCS or CPT would be best).  I am not sure what the scientific basis is for your comments around the calf muscles giving you speed but not height when jumping, or talking about focusing on the landing "shocks" the fast twitch fibers...I have not come across that in any research I have read...I'd be interested in hearing the logic behind those...

Joe

www.theworldofhoops.com

joe@theworldofhoops.com

• CourtHero Amateur 29 posts since
    Jun 25, 2010
    8. Dec 19, 2011 10:45 AM (in response to sdbasketball)
    How can I jump higher?

I dont think their is any certain way to be able to jump higher, i think u got it or ya don't; plain and simple. im 6 foot, 13 years old and i can grab rim so i think at the rate u are growing, u should be able to grab it soon

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...