Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6242 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2011 2:28 PM by JasonFitz1 RSS
Hawkeyegirl1987 Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 4, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 4, 2011 3:15 PM

Running-yoga-strength training?

I am getting back to running after a long break of burnout.  This time around I would like to do things differently.  I would like to incorporate yoga (I'm new to that) and strength training with free weights.  My question is:  how do I create a workout schedule that fits all of these components?  What does your workout schedule look like?  Thanks so much for your help!

• Chrsh01 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 25, 2010
    1. Dec 7, 2011 7:32 PM (in response to Hawkeyegirl1987)

Hello, hello.

Well, as someone who has been active in both (running & strength training) for many, many years...I can share my experience. I have to mention that I have trie yoga and did not care for it even thought I think it is a great activity to....its just not my thing. So I run 2-3x per week with hiking or bicycling as a cross training activity. I strength train at least 2x per week consistently. My strength routine focus's on compound movements that include single leg squat w/ stability ball, lunges and single leg dumbell deadlifts. Upper body consists of push-ups, dips, inverted rows (done on a Smith Machine), a rowing moving movement for  upper back and/or pull-ups or Lat pulldown machine. The routine is a Push-Pull type movement program. My strength routine w/ a shor warm-up takes about 45 minutes to complete. Good Luck to ya, Chris034.JPG

• Debi3735 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 8, 2011
    2. Dec 8, 2011 5:00 AM (in response to Hawkeyegirl1987)

Hi,

I am a slow runner, but run notheless, I do strength training 2xs a week, and yoga when I can fit it in, I run 3xs most weeks with one long run on Saturday when I am in training, I find it works great and I love yoga for the stretching as I am not much of a post run or pre run stretcher.  Hope this helps good luck

• RunGoddessBA Amateur 24 posts since
    Dec 8, 2011
    3. Dec 8, 2011 2:46 PM (in response to Hawkeyegirl1987)

Christine Feldstead came out with a DVD for Yoga for Runners you may want to check out.

RunGoddess developer of the finest temporary tattoos for runners and triathletes. Free shipping to Canada and the US on orders $13.00 or greater.

• Angela42495 Amateur 11 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    4. Dec 9, 2011 9:21 AM (in response to Hawkeyegirl1987)

This is what my schedule is like.  I run 3 days a week...say, Monday, Thursday, Saturday.  After each run I do about 20 minutes of yoga on my own (I am a yoga teacher) to stretch all of my leg muscles.  It takes a while, but it is worth it.  On Tuesday, I take a 90 minute yoga class.  Two other days during the week I do a different cross training workout (usually Spinning) and that is when I also do weight training before or after.  Then I take one off day which is the hardest day of all.  I also teach yoga twice during the week, but I don't count that as a workout for myself.  Hope this helps.

• millerSunshine Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 22, 2010
    5. Dec 9, 2011 3:16 PM (in response to Hawkeyegirl1987)

I do a 90 min. yoga class once a week, and some small yoga sessions during the week by myself.  I also do strength training once a week and a pilates class once a week.  Then run apprx 3 days and I cross train with cycling (though that can swap for me depending up if the upcoming event is a run or cycling!). 

My advice would be to slowly work them in.  I started doing yoga once a week after I began my running routine, and found it helped my running.  It taught me how to control my breath (and keep my flexibility).  Then later I added in the cycling cross training, which gave me more leg strength.  And more recently I've added in strength training with free weights (and some of the same exercises as Chrsh01 mentioned) .  Each one has made me a better runner in different ways, not to mention I don't get bored of the same old routine!

Good luck   

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    6. Dec 10, 2011 4:28 PM (in response to Hawkeyegirl1987)

Great advice from others about cross-training and scheduling a variety of routines to build strength and endurance.  Personally, I run every day and lift weights 3 times per week, and complete floor exercises 3 times per week.  I do not take any days off from exercise (never, ever, for any reason) because improvement does not occur while resting. (unless there is a major physical illness or injury demanding recovery time).  My best advice is make certain you are doing some sort of conditioning every day.  I spent years believing that so-called "rest-days" were imperative for race-day performance or balancing steady progress, and actually found that lack of activity is more difficult to rectify than any range of over-activity.  Continued motion, continued momentum..that's the only thing that really makes sense.  (Wish I would have questioned the flawed logic of taking days off long before I did, but I assure you greater results are only returned from consistent greater efforts). 

Wishing you wonderful workout success!

• bert778 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 15, 2011
    7. Dec 15, 2011 9:52 PM (in response to Hawkeyegirl1987)

After just having our fourth baby, I am having a very difficult time getting back into it.  I signed up to do a half marathon with only 3 months to train for it so I'm probably not the best person to reply to this.  However, I know what it feels like to burn out.  Try to find something new that you enjoy and incorporate it into your weekly workouts.  Like everyone else said, run about 3x a week and do strength training and/or yoga/pilates on the other days.  ALWAYS take at least one day off a week!  Good luck to you!  hope you get your mojo back!

• RunGoddessBA Amateur 24 posts since
    Dec 8, 2011
    8. Dec 16, 2011 1:17 PM (in response to Hawkeyegirl1987)

You may find this useful, we had a writer/runner/yoga enthusiast put together the 10 Best Yoga Poses for Runners, you can see on FB at this link: http://www.facebook.com/notes/run-goddess/best-yoga-poses-for-runners/267581299966917

RunGoddess developer of the finest temporary tattoos for runners and triathletes. Free shipping to Canada and the US on orders $13.00 or greater.

• rb77 Amateur 37 posts since
    Oct 20, 2010
    9. Dec 16, 2011 7:09 PM (in response to Hawkeyegirl1987)

No matter what type of program you end up doing for running, cross training, strength training, etc. you do need to take at least one day off to recover. Especially strength training. All your benefit and improvement in strength training comes from the recovery period, not when you are in the gym. I have lifted for years and there are people who overtrain (myself included one time), or think more is better (me again). My best friend is an experienced triathlete and he takes one day off per week. My daughter's swim coach is one of the best triathletes (in his age group) in New England and he takes days off. I may not be an experienced runner (less than 2 recent years), but I do know about strength training. In fact, I stopped runing for a while, because it interferred with my lifting, and I injured myself while just running (Plantar facciitus and hamstring tear (November 2010)). I also had trouble scheduling my runs around workouts, and vice-versa. I used to do legs, then be too sore to run the next day, and it was even worse the next day. What I decided to do is to run immediately after a heavy workout (including legs). Before I started doing this, I was running about 5 miles, 3 times per week. When I ran after lifting the first time, I could only run 1.5 miles and my legs felt like lead. I kept adding a little bit each time I ran, along with increasing the weights. Now, after about 2 months I've increased my runs to just over 4 miles, and should be back to 5 miles by January. I work out 3 days, period; and eat and supplement like crazy on those days. Lifting and running on the same day has helped my weight training and my running, and I have had no injuries. This is a personal thing and may not work for someone else. After reading your question above, I am also going to add the P90X yoga at home in January. I did the P90X program last year and it is pretty good if you can't make it to the gym. Good luck with figuring out what works best for you.

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    10. Dec 18, 2011 2:28 PM (in response to Hawkeyegirl1987)

This is a subject that's near and dear to my heart - something I do all the time for runners that I coach.

I've written about this in the past so feel free to check out this post on warm-up and core routines: Core and Dynamic Warm-ups: A Comprehensive Guide.

I also highly recommend this yoga routine for your hips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3xNlarOno4.

Good luck!

- Jason.

Strength Running

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points