Skip navigation

1604 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2012 6:29 PM by 21mamba
Dr3ambig Rookie 5 posts since
Dec 8, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 10, 2011 10:45 AM

Ways in building muscle mass for basketball.

Am a 6'3 1/2- 6'4 sg/pg and am 17 years of age. I Currently weigh 178 pounds, and am looking to build more muscle mass so i can be a much stronger player and won't be getting push around on the court by players bigger than me. I wonder to myself if age has anything with me developing muscle mass more quickly. I live in the Bahamas, and am looking for an opportunity to make my way across to the U.S and play College basketball for a university after spending a year at C.O.B (College of The Bahamas) and am trying to prepare myself in the best way possible to play at the college level in the U.S.A.

Any help??

• WayneWilson07 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 10, 2011
    1. Dec 10, 2011 11:03 AM (in response to Dr3ambig)
    Re: Ways in building muscle mass for basketball.

Hey my name is Wayne Wilson and I blog about [url=http://discoverthelegalwaystomakemoneyonline.blogspot.com/]legal ways to make money online[/url]        check it out if interested but in-order to build muscle mass for basketball do like 400 push ups every other day it will get you swolled.

• theworldofhoops Pro 52 posts since
    Oct 17, 2010
    2. Dec 12, 2011 6:34 AM (in response to Dr3ambig)

What's up man.  I played college ball and now I do strength training and skill training for individual basketball players. 

It's a combination of nutrition and lifting.  You want to make sure you are getting enough calories...especially from healthy fats and proteins.  You should be getting plenty of protein (.7 - 1.0 grams per pound of bodyweight).  It is okay to add in some supplements.  You also need to be getting healthy fats from things like almonds, walnuts, pecans, olive oil, coconut oil, avocado etc...

Post workout nutrition is important...protein and carbohydrates withing 30-45 minutes of finishing up your workout.  Stick with steak/chicken/fish + sweet potato (awesome post-workout carb) and some other vegetables.

Since you are on the lighter side...an extra protein shake with whole milk would be a good daily supplement.  You are always probably playing and working out a lot...so you are going to need more calories than an average 17 year old kid.

In terms of the lifting.  Basketball strength training needs to create players that are explosive, so you want to build Fast-twitch muscle fibers.  This is done through heavy and explosive lifts.  Some of the best lifts for basketball players are: bulgarian split squats, back squats, deadlifts, power cleans, glute-ham raises, glute-ham sit-ups, squat thrusts...plus you should be getting in a lot of stuff that deals with strength to bodyweight ratios: pull-ups, push-ups, squat jumps, dips....and finally some plyos for speed/agility/jumping (box jumps, weighted box jumps, box jumps with the ball overhead.

Head to this site: Basketball Training at WOH

for more information, drills, videos, etc...

Hit me up if you want to discuss an individual training program: joe@theworldofhoops.com

Joe

www.theworldofhoops.com

joe@theworldofhoops.com

• majorhoopsbasketball Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 18, 2010
    4. Dec 16, 2011 1:53 PM (in response to Dr3ambig)

Great question in regards to building muscle mass. Nutrition is key however one factor to consider is your age. At 17 your metabolism is running sky high especially as a basketball player. Building muscle mass is a bit iverated for basketball. If you play the 1/2 you want to focus more on your core strength and balance. Muscle mass comes most of the time with age and at 17 your body is still going through changes physically. If you are in season you want to train with weights about 3 times per week. You want to work large muscles groups. Joe gave you great examples of excercises such as deadlifts, power cleans, and split squats. These are great lifts but require perfect technique to prevent injuries. So please be careful and find a local strength coach who can walk you through theses lifts. While you can see these excercises online they are most effective with a live trainer in person instructing you. A great place to see these lifts and workouts is StackTV. You can see the pros along with their trainers providing pointers during their workout. You dont' need to lift to heavy don't forget that! Your joints will wear down if you are doing these lifts too heavy. It's all about technique. If you have proper technique your muscles will be working harder and smarter at the same time. It's like shooting drills really doesn't matter how many you shoot, how many you make is really what counts....Make every rep count! Good luck!

• theworldofhoops Pro 52 posts since
    Oct 17, 2010
    5. Dec 20, 2011 2:13 PM (in response to Dr3ambig)

Haven't heard from you, feel free to e-mail at joe@theworldofhoops.com if you are still interested.

Joe

www.theworldofhoops.com

joe@theworldofhoops.com

• 21mamba Expert 52 posts since
    Jun 14, 2011
    6. Jan 8, 2012 6:29 PM (in response to Dr3ambig)

Eating calories and burning them is how i do it. Im 142pds and i have a 4.5 body fat percentage. And don't eat to many saturated fats.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points