Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

695 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2011 9:53 AM by BOSNPM RSS
LeSamourai Amateur 12 posts since
Jun 16, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 22, 2011 10:39 AM

Weekend from H#LL

I have done 5 fall marathons, but never one in the spring. I'm contemplating Cincinnati's "Flying Pig" in 2013, plenty far off, I know. The only problem is, I have done my local springtime half every year of its existence, and I feel kind of committed to it. Now, here's the thing: the half is always on a Saturday, and the FP full is always on a Sunday. The dates for 2013 have not been set, but Murphy's Law dictates that they will be on the same weekend (they are in 2012). Okay, so I've got the little devil on one shoulder telling me, "Do both! You only live once, right? How badass would that be?" And on the other shoulder, the little angel saying, "What, are you nuts? You want to spend the summer on crutches? What are you trying to prove?"

Has anyone out there ever tried a half marathon with a full marathon chaser on back to back days? If so, would you recommend it? Oh, I guess I should mention that my age at the time of the race will be 48 (can that be right?), and so I am, as they say, no spring chicken.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,265 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Dec 22, 2011 12:23 PM (in response to LeSamourai)
    Weekend from H#LL

There's a little thing at Walt Disney World called "The Goofy", which is exactly that - half on Saturday, marathon Sunday.  And several thousand runners complete it every year (I haven't).  I also know a few people who sometimes "double" - marathon on Saturday, marathon on Sunday.  Beyond that I will only say that proper training (Sat./Sun. runs that simulate the races) and proper pacing during the races are important.

One question.  Do you live near Cincinnati?  A lot of traveling probably wouldn't be the best idea.

Len

Len

• runazrun Amateur 16 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008
    2. Dec 22, 2011 4:30 PM (in response to LeSamourai)
    Weekend from H#LL

You definitely have to do them both.  With proper training it shouldn't be a problem and you are an experienced marathoner.  They won't be PB's but you'll have fun and a great story.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    3. Dec 22, 2011 5:26 PM (in response to LeSamourai)
    Weekend from H#LL

I have done some longer back-to-back races the same weekend, but certainly not with marathons and I would not recommend it.  Does not seem worth the risks, and you can let your local group know this spring that you are committed for 2013.  I guess it depends on your priorities (practical, physical, mental and otherwise).  It sounds like you have an emotional attachment to participating in the half in your community, which is certainly admirable.  If the Cincinnati event is a goal, however, then set your sights on that achievement for the time frame in mind.  You may not have to choose between the races depending on scheduling, but you have the advantage of experience and focus on training, so trust your own instincts. 

• erik-k Expert 36 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    4. Dec 22, 2011 7:21 PM (in response to LeSamourai)
    Weekend from H#LL

Hmmm do you care at all what time you post in either race, or would it simply be a matter of completing both of them?  What's the longest distance you've gone back-to-back days in training?

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    5. Dec 23, 2011 9:53 AM (in response to erik-k)
    Weekend from H#LL

The PIG is a great race!  Lots of great advice above, it's your choice and the true is it's not a right or wrong answer.  Good luck! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points