Skip navigation

1047 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2012 2:57 PM by Coach Beez RSS
EzAssist Amateur 11 posts since
May 26, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 24, 2011 2:37 AM

My Skill/Workout Plan?

I want to start my own training but im having trouble creating my own daily workout plan. Would it be ok to go to the gym first then practice my ball skills everyday, i heard that it help builds muscle memory. Do you guys have any tips or reccomendations on a good daily workout/skill plan?

P.S. Would it be a good idea to work on my skills one day and work out at the gym another?

Thanks

• dkm235 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 26, 2011
    1. Dec 27, 2011 8:23 AM (in response to EzAssist)
    My Skill/Workout Plan?

Yes I think you should do that, practice your skills, then head to the gym, and work on fundamentals especially, because it's really important and that's what coaches look for to send you in the game. So fundamentals is the key while your practicing on your skills.

• russp1212 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 24, 2011
    2. Jan 1, 2012 3:56 PM (in response to EzAssist)
    My Skill/Workout Plan?

What @dkm235 said.

• theworldofhoops Pro 52 posts since
    Oct 17, 2010
    3. Jan 1, 2012 8:17 PM (in response to EzAssist)
    My Skill/Workout Plan?

I am currently a basketball skill/strength coach.  There are a lot of factors that go into a workout plan.  My first question to you would be...are you currently in-season?  If you are in-season and practicing/playing games 6 days/week, you should scale back your workouts a little bit until the off-season...focus on maintaing strength and skill vs. big improvements.  If you aren't playing/practicing in season that much, then you can ramp-up a bit.

If you are doing any strength training and skill training in the same day, you should make sure you always do the strength training first.  Injury in strength training is much more prevalent if you are doing strength training while fatigued.  So if doing both skill/strength in same day...always strength first.

When you say "Would it be ok to go to the gym first then practice my ball skills everyday, i heard that it help builds muscle memory.", do you mean go to practice then do ball skills...or do you mean lift weights then do ball skills?

As far as a routine, I highly recommend a lot of variance in your workouts.  So, an example would be...one day do ball-handling only, the next shooting only, then do a mix of ball handling/shooting, then defense, then defense and shooting, then passing and ball handling, etc....Map out drills for each day.

If you go to my site, www.theworldofhoops.com you can find a lot of great drills if you go the "School of Hoops". 

There are a ton of videos here: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheWorldofHoops?feature=watch

We do custom programming as well, you can find info on that as well.  Good luck!

Joe

www.theworldofhoops.com

joe@theworldofhoops.com

• Coach Beez Legend 160 posts since
    Feb 4, 2010
    4. Jan 2, 2012 2:57 PM (in response to EzAssist)
    My Skill/Workout Plan?

I played professional basketball overseas, and have been playing basketball since the age of 9. What worked for me was ball handling and shooting on my own, while combining that with playing against older,  stronger, more experienced players in pick up games. I also think a lot of one-on-one, 2-on-2, and 3-on-3 would be very beneficial, but always against better talent.

I also agree with the worldofhoops in that you should do your core or strength training prior to playing, if you are going to play afterwards. I don't agree that you don't need to dribble every day. On the contrary, have that ball in your hands 24-7. It has to become a part of you.

Best of luck!

Coach Beez

Yo, what up fools?: It's me, " THE MAN " , Zac Ryan. Even though I'm a cartoon character, I can still ball chump! So if you like basketball, then come check me out and read all my comic strips at:

www.zaciswack.com

I'm out.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points