Skip navigation

886 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 23, 2012 7:23 AM by boyds RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 25, 2011 9:22 AM

2nd Annual Liberty Half Marathon Reviews

Share your experiences with the 2nd Annual Liberty Half Marathon below Back to event details page.

• Alan Souza Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 30, 2007
    1. Dec 25, 2011 9:22 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: 2nd Annual Liberty Half Marathon Reviews

This a a challenging no-frills race.  A great way to start the new year.  Course start location has changed to the Subway @ 301 Detroit Street (Rt 68) in downtown West Liberty.  Course is generally uphill with one steep hill towards the end of the race.  Last several mile are mostly downhill.  Course follows lightly traveled roads, cross streets are not guarded or closed to traffic.  However, traffic is extremely light on New Years morning and there us good visibility most of the route.  Unofficial map of the course located at http://connect.garmin.com/courses search on Liberty Half-Marathon.  Came be uploaded to Garmin device.

• KKJW Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 1, 2012
    2. Jan 1, 2012 3:26 PM (in response to Guest )

I'm writing this review on behalf of my mother who ran this race this morning.  First off, if the above post was the only communication of where the course start change was, it's ridiculous.  The only reason she was able to do the race was that she happened to be driving back (after thinking that the race was cancelled) and saw other runners.  This gave her approximately 10 minutes to warm up prior to the start of the race.  At the conclusion of the race, there were no beverages to drink nor chairs to sit in at the location everyone went to.  After running a half marathon, don't you think participants are thirsty and in need of sitting down somewhere???  Overall, this is the second year she has run this race and second year that she has been highly disappointed in the organization and implementation of this race.  I suppose that's why it's only $15 to register.  Not likely to try this again.

• bhess66 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 23, 2007
    3. Jan 2, 2012 6:10 PM (in response to Guest )

I ran this race for the first time this year and although the race organizers were a little overwhelmed with the attendance I think they did an OUTSTANDING job. The organizers stated more than a few times that they were not professional race directors and appreciated everyones patience and understanding. The race started on time and the course distance was accurate. They did leave me a voicemail that the course start was changed (thanks!) a few days before the race (this is why you should leave a phone number on the reg. form). The location for the refreshments/awards was a little cramped, but there was water....along with oranges, bananas, donuts, and bagels. There was plenty for everyone. The transportation to the awards and back to West Liberty was fantastic thanks to the loan of vans and volunteer drivers. Overall it was a good race for the bargain price of $15. I'm sure if the few folks that started this race want it to continue in future years they will need additional community support, volunteers, and changes to the start and finish/award locations. I hope they decide to continue the race, I would do it again next year.

• boyds Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 22, 2008
    4. Nov 23, 2012 7:23 AM (in response to Guest )

I ran this race in 2012 and it was fantastic - just as billed - just a great course with a basic crew - ill be back in 2013 with some more friends

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...