Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

47411 Views 279 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2012 7:44 AM by KD8FQM RSS Go to original post 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19 Previous Next
  • Shrewsberry Expert 53 posts since
    Dec 19, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    120. Dec 26, 2011 11:53 AM (in response to flatwatertx)
    Any December 2011 starters?

Hi All,

Did w4d1 today.

Firstly, the weather was bright, sunny and crisp without being toooooo cold. It was really lovely.

The app I'm using has me doing 2 reps of 3 minute and 5 minute runs this week.

Physically the runs were great. I kept my pace slower than I would naturally go and I felt pleasantly winded when they were done - not "out of puff", as they say.

Last week I found the 3 minute runs very hard mentally. I couldn't get my mind to settle down. Today, I found them much easier. I guess I knew I wouldn't be hearing from the cold-hearted cow on the app for a long time so I forgot about her and focused on the BBC radio show I was listening to on the iPhone and the lovely open farmland around me.

I'm feeling very good mentally and physically and looking forward to w4d2!

• lisabel2010 Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 4, 2011
    121. Dec 26, 2011 1:22 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

Hey there!

Been gone for a while due to a raging stomach bug in the house....so last week restarted W1.  A couple of great things....

1.  Still feel great doing the runs.  I am amazed at my body's tolerance after being a sloth for a year.  Not to mention the fact that I have recently quit smoking....off an on for 15 years.  Let me be honest with myself, more on than off really.  So that fact that I haven't required an oxygen tank or a defibrillator is quite wondrous!  I actually threw in an extra 90 seconds on W1D2 because it felt so good!

2.  I have a running buddy!  We are work pals and we do two runs a week together and one apart.  It's great because we keep each other honest and encourage each other along the way.  Today was a on your own day so we're keeping each other honest making sure we are doing our runs. 

3.  I also have great people around me that are inspiring me each and every day.  Friends that are new to me that are life long runners and old friends who would never have imagined running 10 years ago, let alone doing multiple 5Ks this past year, keep me feeling that I can truly accomplish this goal.

With the year coming to an end, I am wishing for all of you wondrous people like these, moments and people that inspire you to be more than you could have ever expected.  I wish for you a blessed year!  Keep going!

Lisa

• KD8FQM Amateur 11 posts since
    Dec 24, 2011
    123. Dec 26, 2011 7:04 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

Well, here I am, 67 years old, 100 pounds overweight and thinking I can learn how to run. I started W1D1 today, didn't die. Thought I might though. I joined WW 3 weeks ago and have lost 6 pounds so far, so this might work after all. Looking forward to the encouraging stories.

Bob

• Kouripoulavi Expert 44 posts since
    Nov 28, 2011
    124. Dec 27, 2011 9:14 AM (in response to KD8FQM)

Hey All,

WELL....we made it through the holidays!  So...

I left all of you with W5D3 ahead of me...the 20 minute run. Man...I tanked.  Ic ouldn't do it.  But here's the thing...I KNEW it was all mental.  All of it. I got to 9 minutes...looked at the clock and through.  There is NO WAY I can run 11 minutes longer. 

The next day I came down with a horrid cold that I'm still trying to get rid of.  I am falling back to W5D2 tomorrow and going to try W5D3 again on Friday.  we'll see if I get there.  hopefully I can make 20 minutes.

I'll be honest.  I was a little disappointed in myself.  But I know it was in my head.  I've got to find a way to get through it...I'm just not sure how to mentally focus in.  I know I can do it, I just need to focus. 

I'm so glad so many of your kept going over the holidays.  I needed the boards today for motivation.  I'm feeling a bit down that I had a bad run on Friday and then didn't run yesterday due to the cold. I'm still not feeling well so I think I'm going to skip running today too and just jump in tomorrow.  Honestly...I'll be happy for the 1st of the year when I can get back into my schedule and all the company is gone from out of town.  Is that horrible to say???

I'm kind of ready to get back into my schedule.

Anyway..my goal is to make it through this week and try to finish week 5 so I can move on to week 6 next week. 

Here's to hoping and working towards THAT!

Dec 19, 2011
    125. Dec 27, 2011 11:27 AM (in response to flatwatertx)

Hi All,

Today is a rest day so no running progress to report - but just wanted to share my hiking experience today.

Took my dogs on a hike over a piece of the Appalachian Trail down the road from me. There is one vertical part where I normally go a bit slow and even stop midway for a breather. Its pretty steep - with steps cut into the rock. Today I realized that I was mindlessly barreling up it with no need for a breather. Bless this c25k!

I also wanted to share the article that made me aware of and got me into c25k. Its by one of my favorite funny people, Charlie Brooker - he's a television personality, broadcaster and journalist and writes a column for The Guardian. I think you'll all enjoy it and maybe it will inspire newbies as it did me:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/nov/06/charlie-brooker-becomes-a-runner

Kouripoulavi: Don't despair or worry - if this were easy it wouldn't be worth bragging about  . Trust yourself - you'll find a strategy to get yourself back on schedule and through those long runs. W5D3 will become part of your 'war stories'  and no doubt you'll be using it to help new c25k runners in future.  I share "the mental thing" - its much more a bugbear than the physical for me. I've been using BBC comedy radio shows I've downloaded or captured as I find they help distract my unfaithful mind. When I find my mind waiting for Cruella to tell me I can break the tedium by walking I start really focusing on my breathing. I hope you feel better!

Let's all continue to move forward - that's all that matters - not how fast or how far.

• KateInWI Amateur 21 posts since
    Dec 7, 2011
    126. Dec 28, 2011 4:41 AM (in response to flatwatertx)

I completed W5D2 last night, but I'm going to repeat it again tomorrow night. That's what I did with W5D1...repeated it at least once and maybe twice (can't remember). After doing it a couple times, I felt ready to progress to day 2. After week 5, there are only 2 more days in the program with walking intervals. So I want to be sure my body is ready for that. I hope everyone had a great holiday. Don't forget to run!

Katie

• Kouripoulavi Expert 44 posts since
    Nov 28, 2011
    127. Dec 28, 2011 7:54 AM (in response to KateInWI)

Katie!

I sure do like that idea.  I REALLY want to get through week 5 but I think the holidays have slowed me down.  There are just too many people in town.  Man...

I think I will do the same.  I will repeat W 5, and give myself double on the days to get through it.

My new goal is to finish week 5 with double days between now and next Saturday and start week 6 on Jan 9th. 

That will only put me behind 2 weeks in the whole schedule...but I think you're right, it should prepare me for what lies ahead.  I really want to finish.  I'll be out of the country the last full week of january and I'm likely to only get one or two runs in that week which will be week 8 for me on the new schedule.  I will probably redo week 8 the 30th of Jan-Feb 3rd

I'm thinking I should be able to finish C25K by Feb 10th. 

There...I've said it.  My completion date goal is Feb 10th.  That is my goal. Maybe I'll even plan a party to celebrate.  I like any reason to celebrate!!!  I even just wrote it on my calendar. 

Has anyone else calculated when they think they might finish, barring all unforseen circumstances??

This means I NEED to get back on the treadmill tomorrow...no more letting this cold slow me down!

You all need to hold me accountable! : )

R

Dec 19, 2011
    129. Dec 28, 2011 4:26 PM (in response to flatwatertx)
    Re: Any December 2011 starters?

Hi all!

Did w4d2 today.

Weather was all over the place - first very weak sunshine - then rain - then pelting ice - then proper snow. And the temp dropped considerably - ouch. On top of all that my hood wouldn't stay on and I had to hold it with my teeth! This actually helped me focus on breathing properly though...

The run was great. Strangely I find the 3 minute stretches harder than the 5 minute ones. I keep waiting for "her" during the 3 minute run. During the 5 minute ones I forget her completely and am always amazed when she shows up and tells me how little there is to go. I hope that trend continues during week 5 - yikes!

Even with the progress I've made I can't imagine running for 30 straight minutes. Can't imagine how I'll get through the tedium. Its so strange because I hike and snowshoe for hours - don't know why running would be any different. I'll have to work on that mental puzzle.

Incidentally, I think I've found that I'm a natural forefoot striker. At first I wasn't sure if I was making myself run that way but as time goes on I'm feeling that is my natural inclination. Midfoot and heel-strike certainly don't feel natural for me.  I'm looking into footwear that accommodates the forefoot/minimalist style. Haven't picked one yet. The Merrell Pace, Nike Free and Brooks PureFlow seem to get good feedback.

flatwatertx: I don't want to hog up a ton of screen real estate with my pics but would love to share my beautiful surroundings and of course my doggies. Here is a link to some photos I have on Flickr - they are fairly dog-centric

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22175723@N07/sets/72157628608278473/

So basically one more running day as a neophyte - then things get serious in week 5. Looking forward to it and at the same time a little nervous. Can't wait to see how I do! I trust this program so I'm (cerebrally) sure it will be great.

Kouripoulavi: Regarding finishing dates, if I'm able to stay on schedule I should finish c25k on February 3rd.

I'm thinking when I'm done with c25k I'll do 3 miles 3x a week and in between start c25k over again from the beginning on hilly roads and eventually trail running. I've always envied people fit enough to trail run!  I can't imagine myself becoming a smug obnoxious 10k-er but who knows - could happen!

Last thought - I'm so glad I started this well before New Year's resolution time. Its nice to feel well on your way as the New Year begins.

• clockersfancy Amateur 18 posts since
    Nov 30, 2011
    130. Dec 28, 2011 5:38 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

Greetings all and happy holidays!

Did W4D1 today on the farm lane on the Eastern Shore. I was a little worried about being able to do it but pretty much managed without any drama, which is a good thing. I feel like I might have to do week four for a couple of weeks, maybe not, but I know it's going to get serious very soon. I did get the C25K app, which is quite nice and better than using the IPod stopwatch, thanks for the advice. My son came home from grad school for Christmas and gave me some stretching exercises to do before and after that have really helped keep me pain-free. So it's all good on this front. Thanks so much for the inspiration, as always.

• Rose13bud Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 28, 2011
    131. Dec 28, 2011 9:41 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

Hi is it too late to Join you guys? I'm starting the C25K tomorrow. I've been out of the running loop for the last year due to a rough pregnancy and I just gave birth Oct 24th. I went and got some new running pants today and I am anxious to hit the pavement. I have about 60lbs I want to drop before my 30th birthday in July and I could use all the encouragement and support I can get.

• tabithad Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 29, 2011
    132. Dec 29, 2011 5:18 AM (in response to flatwatertx)

I started running the day before my 41st birthday.   That was Nov 26th.    I have been just trying to run a full 3 miles without stopping but have not been successful.   I am completely commited to this,  do not lack motivation in the least.  I think I have become obsessed.   I have not missed one workout and have walked on my off days because I could not just sit in the house,  had to do something...  hehe

But since I have not been able to run the full 3 miles yet I thought I would get myself on some sort of program to follow.   I had heard so many great things about the Couch to 5K program that I thought I would give it a shot. 

I would consider myself in Wk #3.   I did Wk3D1 on Tues,  about to do day #2 today. 

Anyone close to me in the program schedule ?

I am 41yrs old,  have not been physically active in over 7 yrs,  used to be a heck of an athelete in school,  now... I am a 70lb overweight mother of 4.    

• KateInWI Amateur 21 posts since
    Dec 7, 2011
    133. Dec 29, 2011 11:14 AM (in response to flatwatertx)

I just completed W5D2 for the 2nd time, and YIKES! it was worse than the first time. I felt exhausted the minute I started the first 8-min run, and my heart rate was in the high 160s! I think the problem is probably my diet. I've been eating ultra low-carb all week to shed the 10 pounds that I probably gained over Christmas (I've actually been too chicken to step on the scale and find out.) Anyway, I'll definitely be repeating W5D2 at least once more, but at least I *can* complete it and I'm keeping on...

• offmycouch Pro 70 posts since
    Jun 22, 2011
    134. Dec 29, 2011 1:40 PM (in response to KateInWI)

@KateInWI

I am doing the entire week 5 over again this week and did W5D2 last night again as well.  I too thought it was more difficult this time around.  Not sure why that is.  Was able to get thru Week 5 without any major problems last week, but thought it would be beneficial to do it again before moving on to longer runs.

Will go ahead with W5D3 tomorrow (or might wait until Saturday as I am having knee aches for the first time in quite a while).  Will move on to Week 6 next week and hope for the best.

"I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!"

Kris

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...