Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8250 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2006 4:46 PM by saustin74 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
alowrun Rookie 103 posts since
Jul 28, 2004
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 11, 2006 10:15 AM

Healthy Snacks That Are Filling

Hi All.
Lately I've noticed I've been consuming ALOT of empty calories, that have no nutritional value, and aren't satisfying.
I'm looking for nutrient rich snacks, that are filling.
Any ideas?
Thanks

• JJJessee Legend 774 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    1. Mar 11, 2006 10:30 AM (in response to alowrun)
    Re: Healthy Snacks That Are Filling

Bananas
    Apples,
    Dried apricots, figs, raisins
    Almonds, about any nuts really
    Sunflower Seeds
    Pepitas
    Chocolate or Vanilla Soy milk
    Sardines

JJ

• mucho apetito Rookie 74 posts since
    Jan 18, 2006
    2. Mar 11, 2006 10:43 AM (in response to alowrun)

quote:

Originally posted by alowrun:

Hi All.
    Lately I've noticed I've been consuming ALOT of empty calories, that have no nutritional value, and aren't satisfying.
    I'm looking for nutrient rich snacks, that are filling.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

hard boiled eggs
    yogurt topped w/granola
    cottage cheese
    cheese cubes/stringcheese
    peanut butter on wholewheat crackers

• XCVSN15 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 27, 2004
    4. Mar 11, 2006 2:36 PM (in response to alowrun)

Vita Muffin Muffins 2oz muffin 100 calories 4oz 200 with like 5grams of fibe

Uncle Wally mini Muffins 140 calories for two

Cliff Nectar Bar has 2 serving of furit

LaraBar this has 1.5 of fruit

Take cup fat free milk and one yougurt and mix good like a smoothie

Oatmeal
    Trail Mix
    Mini Bagel
    A Cup of Soup

• speedyfeet Amateur 107 posts since
    Mar 20, 2004
    5. Dec 21, 2007 4:36 PM (in response to alowrun)

Some yogurt topped with frozen berries and some healthy homemade granola...mmmmmmmm, I can just taste it.  I like it even better with some of those mousse type yogurts.

I also love grapefruits...yum yum yum.

Kozy Shack also makes really healthy rice and tapioca puddings which are so tasty. Or you could always make your own. My favourite is with cinnamon and raisins, and it's so easy to make. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

Banana on toasts is also very yummy, I sometimes have this for breakfast. Even better with some PB & J.

Oh, and my personal favourite, not so good for you snack:  Lucky Charms   ...come on...it's whole grain...hehehe.

[http://This message has been edited by speedyfeet (edited Mar-11-2006).|http://This message has been edited by speedyfeet (edited Mar-11-2006).]

• ruthless62 Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Mar 11, 2006 7:48 PM (in response to alowrun)

Yogurt + cottage cheese + granola

mix it up and the "power pudding" will
    not disappoint. Major protein, good carbs,
    and no fat (if you use non-fat yogurt/cottage cheese).

• graingirl Rookie 270 posts since
    Jul 20, 2001
    7. Mar 12, 2006 12:07 AM (in response to alowrun)

What sort of things are you looking for in your snacks?  Carbs, protein, fiber, low-fat??  For example, my husband tends to want protein rich snacks since they tend to keep him satiated and his blood sugar stable.  I'm not saying no-carbs, just a good balance of carbs and protein.  I'm the same way, I like to veer away from sweet, high carb snacks since they tend to cause me to crash and get moody.  So, now that I've provided all of that information, here's some things we eat....

Banana slices wrapped up in WW tortilla smeared w/natural PB<br />Bean burrito in WW tortillla (use the smaller tortillas for snacks)
    Whole grain crackers w/PB, hummus, or low-fat cheese<br />3/4 cup brown rice, 1/4cup black beans, salsa and 1/4 cup cup cottage cheese
    Homemade trail mix w/nuts, dried fruit and dry whole grain cereal<br />Plain yogurt w/fruit (lately I've been enjoying kiwi)
    Egg salad (1egg,plain yogurt, dijon mustard) in 1/2 ww pita<br />Celery sticks filled w/PB or hummus
    Ricotta cheese mixed w/mexican or italian stewed tomatoes<br />Boca burger patties dipped in mustard (so many varieties to choose from so it never gets boring, or pick your favorite condiment)
    Low sodium V-8 is a good drink snack<br />Smoothies w/milk, fruit and we add liquid egg whites from TJ's that have been pasteurized
    Small baked potato w/cottage cheese or low-fat cheese<br />Homemade muffins w/whole grains, nuts, dried fruits
    Divide your lunch in 1/2 and eat 1/2 as a snack<br />Small cup of soup (split pea, chili, minnestrone, etc...)

• the coolest cool runner Rookie 13 posts since
    Mar 13, 2006
    9. Mar 13, 2006 6:34 PM (in response to alowrun)

diet soda
    salad
    green tea

• run1988 Rookie 49 posts since
    Jul 2, 2005
    10. Mar 15, 2006 11:04 AM (in response to alowrun)

can't go wrong with trail mix. Two reasons for this : you can put in whatever you want, it taste great and is definitly filling!

i love oranges, and they're pretty filling. An apple would be my second choice as far as fruit goes.

• ugarun Rookie 43 posts since
    Mar 31, 2005
    11. Mar 15, 2006 11:54 AM (in response to alowrun)

quote:

Originally posted by graingirl:

What sort of things are you looking for in your snacks? Carbs, protein, fiber, low-fat?? For example, my husband tends to want protein rich snacks since they tend to keep him satiated and his blood sugar stable. I'm not saying no-carbs, just a good balance of carbs and protein. I'm the same way, I like to veer away from sweet, high carb snacks since they tend to cause me to crash and get moody. So, now that I've provided all of that information, here's some things we eat....

Banana slices wrapped up in WW tortilla smeared w/natural PB<br />Bean burrito in WW tortillla (use the smaller tortillas for snacks)
    Whole grain crackers w/PB, hummus, or low-fat cheese<br />3/4 cup brown rice, 1/4cup black beans, salsa and 1/4 cup cup cottage cheese
    Homemade trail mix w/nuts, dried fruit and dry whole grain cereal<br />Plain yogurt w/fruit (lately I've been enjoying kiwi)
    Egg salad (1egg,plain yogurt, dijon mustard) in 1/2 ww pita<br />Celery sticks filled w/PB or hummus
    Ricotta cheese mixed w/mexican or italian stewed tomatoes<br />Boca burger patties dipped in mustard (so many varieties to choose from so it never gets boring, or pick your favorite condiment)
    Low sodium V-8 is a good drink snack<br />Smoothies w/milk, fruit and we add liquid egg whites from TJ's that have been pasteurized
    Small baked potato w/cottage cheese or low-fat cheese<br />Homemade muffins w/whole grains, nuts, dried fruits
    Divide your lunch in 1/2 and eat 1/2 as a snack<br />Small cup of soup (split pea, chili, minnestrone, etc...)

These are great ideas!  Thanks!

• elirunner Rookie 13 posts since
    Nov 17, 2004
    13. Mar 15, 2006 3:20 PM (in response to alowrun)

quote:

Originally posted by alowrun:

I am severely allergic to nuts, so trail mix I am always skeptical about. I might make some of my own in the future. What should I add?

Lots of chocolate chips! 

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...