Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

991 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2012 4:37 AM by EnricNL RSS
EnricNL Amateur 19 posts since
Dec 5, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 27, 2011 2:59 AM

Shoes for a beach race ?

Hi,

What type of shoes would be advisable to wear for a race on a beach ? (It's ha half marathon with 6-8mi on a beach and the rest are dirt road and some asphalt / concrete)

I have spikeless running flats,

lightweight trail runnning shoes

and a pair of K-Swiss Ultra Natural II with rather flat soles

The sand will be most probably wet. I have no idea on whether the sand is fine or coarse, but I guess it will be on hte coarse side.

What would be  your choice?

--

<a href="http://expat.runlevel0.net">The adventures of an expat running in the Nederlands</a>

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Dec 27, 2011 4:28 PM (in response to EnricNL)
    Shoes for a beach race ?

Be careful running on the beach Enric.  The sand and uneven surfaces can really interfer with your form and pace while also increasing the risk of injuries.  I would say choose the lightest footwear possible or even consider one of the newer barefoot options if you have the opportunity to train in them (Merrell markets one specifically for beach running, I believe).  Anway, wishing you a safe and cautious endeavor.

• Kinver88 Pro 80 posts since
    Oct 2, 2010
    2. Dec 29, 2011 2:29 AM (in response to Jasko123)
    Shoes for a beach race ?

If you are looking for a more conventional style shoe then you could try something like the Salomon XR Crossmax as it is a hybrid running shoe that has lots of grip (for the sand) but is also slightly lighter then other trail running shoes.

• rvjunior Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 11, 2008
    3. Dec 29, 2011 5:22 AM (in response to Kinver88)
    Shoes for a beach race ?

Hey do you run on the beach a lot?

• Haselsmasher Legend 508 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    4. Dec 29, 2011 5:40 AM (in response to EnricNL)
    Shoes for a beach race ?

+~1,000 to Jasko's comments.  I'd be really careful doing that many miles on sand in a race without having done quite a good chunk of beach running prior to the race - regardless of the shoes.  If you have a pretty traditional form now where you push off with your foot you could really do a number on your calf and Achilles. 

Jim

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points