Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

448 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Dec 30, 2011 5:27 PM by Jasko123 RSS
KrissyOh Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 22, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 30, 2011 8:47 AM

Appendecomy and my very first half?!?! Help!

Hi all,

I am running my very first half at the Tinkerbell 1/2 in Disneyland in just shy of a month. I just had a laproscopic appendecotmy on christmas (ouch!). I've never run 13.1 miles before and up to christmas my training was going great. I had run 10 miles just the saturday before. Now i'm laid up on the couch for a week and can start 'walking' and 'elpicaling' at the end of the week. The surgeon told me i should be able to run in about 2 weeks.  I'm hoping you all might have some tips for a) keeping my stamina up as my training dives and b) since I won't have a chance to get another long run in what should my training plan moving forward look like??  I have been laid up through what would have been my biggest run so far a 12 miler over the christmas holiday.

Any thoughts, tips, tricks you can send my way are greatly appreciated. This is my first half and there is no way i'm not going to run it. I've been training for almost a year. I started running in February of this year with my first half, it's been incredible. I'm still the fat kid but my body is learning and eating habits have changed and i'm enjoying running. Please help.

At your mercy,

On the Couch in Seattle.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Dec 30, 2011 5:27 PM (in response to KrissyOh)
    Appendecomy and my very first half?!?! Help!

Congratulations on all your progress Krissy.

Ask your doctor about low-impact or other cross-training exercises that may be allowable during your recovery.  Also, when you return to running, consider a cushioned track somewhere so that the impact will be minimized.  Think about training on an ellipitical or treadmill in the interim as possible options to maintain your current strength.  Be cautious with your recovery because strenuous activities could result in a hernia (running increases abdonimal pressure), so give your body the full time to heal. 

Best of luck and happy miles!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points