Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1170 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2012 6:28 PM by ultimatehlth RSS
quikyerp Pro 82 posts since
Apr 13, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 31, 2011 10:44 AM

I'm Losing Weight

I'm currently 6ft 143 pounds. I lost 4lbs in the last month. The problem is...I don't want to lose weight. I'm skinny enough as it is and I would have like to be able to stay above 145 - 147. What's the best way to maintain weight and run.

I run between 3-6 miles a week.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Dec 31, 2011 5:31 PM (in response to quikyerp)
    I'm Losing Weight

Cross-training (specifically weight-lifting) might be helpful to gain musle and it is also beneficial in assisting running.  Of course, you may want to boost your diet with higher-calorie/nutrient rich snacks throughout the day. (trail mix, avocados, dried fruit, nuts).  Consider talking to a dietician or nutritional expert about meal planning and/or any appropriate suppliments.  Also, it may be a good idea to get a physical to check everything out to make sure nothing else is going on or interferring with your metabolic process. 

Wishing you the best

• ManikSona Expert 55 posts since
    Aug 11, 2011
    2. Jan 2, 2012 12:06 AM (in response to Jasko123)
    I'm Losing Weight

I agree with Jasko123.  Cross-training is definitely one way to add weight, but I would definitely get a physical to be sure nothing else is going on.  It could just be that you haven't increased your caloric intake though.  Remember, now you are burning approximately 100 calories per mile, so if you aren't replacing it, by the end of the week you will begin to drop pounds instead of maintaining or adding weight.  Good luck to you!

Manik Runner - Training for a Marathon

• ultimatehlth Pro 118 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    3. Jan 4, 2012 6:28 PM (in response to quikyerp)
    I'm Losing Weight

Good advice on both above posts. It does sound like you need to increase caloric intake. If your goal is to add lean body mass you need to add resistance training. Your post workout recovery meal could be an issue. Within an hour of exercise cessation eat a meal that has a 4-1 carb to protein ratio with very lttle fat.(example; 25 grams protein, 100g carbs, 5g fat). The carbs will be used to replenish muscle glycogen and the protein for building blocks. Too much fat will slow absorbtion at a time you want it to be fast.

Overall I recommend a diet of 30% protein, 30% fat and 40% carbohydrate. Works well for my clients.

Personal Trainer Los Angeles - Studio City

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...