Skip navigation

493 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2012 5:33 AM by theworldofhoops RSS
tjslamdunk Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 31, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 31, 2011 12:41 PM

Im 5 9 or 5 10 and i wanna play basketball. Also i have never played with a team before.

Where do i start. I'm not the worst but i wanna be good.

• miamiheatballer Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 13, 2011

well the best thing u need to do is to start practicing a lot on what you need to improve on. if you are just starting i suggest you work on your weak hand so that your equally strong in both this makes you twice as better. also you should see if any rec leagues are open or starting. this gives you a feel for in game situations it is also quite competitive if your starting so you can sharpen skillls in rec league and even try moves that were practiced in a rec league too its fun and great. the main thing though is practice practice practice. practice post moves

• 23AirJordan Legend 607 posts since
    Mar 20, 2011

you'll be underrated at the start, it's tough to start like that. I've been playing since I was in fourth grade. but I was more focused on football then. i never tried out for a team even though i could have put up a fight for it. then i started getting serious with bball last year. i was one of the kids that couldn've made the team. but our coach only added the players that made it last year. i domnated in the shooting drills, perfected it in the ball handling drills, played tough d, and did good in our scrimmages, but you can definently start. i've been so dedicated to the game and have been searching and searching for a good website(s). hoopsu has a good vertical jump program. gamespeed insider has a good speed program, and planet hoops and ihoops can help you with everything. mix all of those workouts together at the same time, learn the proper shooting form, and you'll be good or great in a few months. hope this will help.

"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."-Michael Jordan

• theworldofhoops Pro 52 posts since
    Oct 17, 2010

The best thing is to just get to work training.  You need to focus on improving your skills (shooting, passing, ball-handling, defense, rebounding, etc) because you will be behind players that started out years before you.  Check out this basketball training site for a ton of information and drills (the "school of hoops" has a ton of videos, drills, guides, and information...and the blog has a lot of useful tips).  You can also find a lot of good basketball videos here. The other thing you are probably lacking is game experience.  Try to get yourself involved in pick-up games or a league where mostly everyone is better than you.  In my experience, the players who are willing to play with people that are better than them are the ones who become very good. 

- You need to have discipline (workout 4-5x per week, play pick-up/leage games at least 2x per week)

- You need to become a student of the game: watch HS or college games, get a feel for the flow of the game, watch the plays they run, notice defenses, how do they defend the pick & roll, etc

- You need to stay positive!  You will be behind other players in development, but you need to maintain an optimistic attitude and believe in yourself

- You should set goals to acheive and keep records of your training...this will enable you to see your progress, and will give you the boost you need when things seem tough.

Joe

www.theworldofhoops.com

joe@theworldofhoops.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points