Skip navigation

95 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 1, 2012 8:28 PM by theworldofhoops RSS
Ckennedy16 Expert 45 posts since
Jan 17, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 26, 2011 5:51 PM

Good Workout?

I am 14 years old, 5'9, and 145 pounds.im not exactly sure what my vertical is, but i can grab the rim. im going into highschool soon. I was wondering if anyone could give me some exercises to do to improve my physical strength and vertical leap. i have been doing some upper body work to try and make my 3 pointers easier to shoot. any positive feedback would be greatly appreciated.

• theworldofhoops Pro 52 posts since
    Oct 17, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jan 1, 2012 8:28 PM (in response to Ckennedy16)
    Good Workout?

There are a lot of great workouts you can do, but you have to be careful learning them, because injury is possible if you aren't using correct technique.  Start slow and with very light weight...master the technique, then start to build weight.

The best exercises are:

DB Split Squats

One leg deadlifts

Lunge switch steps

Box jumps

Glute Ham Raises

Power Cleans

Back Squats

close grip bench press

push-ups/sit-ups/pull-ups

Most of these focus on the major muscle groups of the legs: hamstrings, quads, calfs...but these also work the core and the upperbody. 

Yes you shoot the ball with your arms, but powering 3 pointers and other jumpers mostly comes from your legs. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

The World of Hoops website has a ton of basketball strength training info and basketball training info (click the links to head there)

Joe

www.theworldofhoops.com

joe@theworldofhoops.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points