Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

48800 Views 279 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2012 7:44 AM by KD8FQM RSS Go to original post 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19 Previous Next
  • Kouripoulavi Expert 44 posts since
    Nov 28, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    135. Dec 29, 2011 1:52 PM (in response to offmycouch)
    Any December 2011 starters?

I'm starting W5 over today. 

Today I will do W5D1, tomorrow I will do W5D2

Monday I will do W5D1 and the Wednesday W5D2 and then Friday W5D3...and I will defeat the 20 min run!

I'm hoping that gives me what I need to be prepared for week 6. 

Good luck everyone on your runs!

R

• Shrewsberry Expert 53 posts since
    Dec 19, 2011
    136. Dec 30, 2011 10:56 AM (in response to flatwatertx)

Hi all,

Finished week 4 today. Felt very good. The mental game didn't feel as agonizing.

Next week begins the serious business... I'm going to create a bunch of cool things to listen to to help get me through the mental barriers. I thought of even trying silence - that would be novel...

I'm so pleased to be able to run 5 minutes straight.  I used to run 3 miles a day when I was 19-20 but before starting c25k I felt like I'd literally forgotten how to run. It no longer felt like a natural thing to do. I'm so grateful for this program. I truly love it and (so far) have never felt like not getting out there.

Hope everyone is feeling good.

Happy New Year to you all - much success in all our endeavors in 2012!

• sggkkjj Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 30, 2011
    137. Dec 30, 2011 1:05 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

I am interested in ur podcasts please.

• Rose13bud Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 28, 2011
    138. Dec 31, 2011 6:00 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

Did W1D2 today right after my Jillian Micheals 30 day shred workout. I'm pretty sore but it feels so amazing to get back out and run again. Happy New Years Everyone! and Happy Running! =D

• MoMoWalker Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 1, 2012
    139. Jan 1, 2012 8:41 AM (in response to flatwatertx)

Hi Everyone, I completed the C25K last January but haven't run since July.  Life got in the way.  It's time to start back up again.  Think I'll start at W2D1 see how that feels.

• KateInWI Amateur 21 posts since
    Dec 7, 2011
    140. Jan 1, 2012 3:04 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

Happy New Year! I completed W5D2 for the 3rd time today, and it felt good! So, Tuesday I will take my first stab at the 20-minute run on W5D3. My 12-year-old son is also doing this program (more in support of me, I think, than from needing to ease into running), and our goal for the new year is to run a 5K together sometime in the spring. Please check in everybody and let us all know how you're doing with this program, even if you lost momentum over the holidays and are starting back in. It's very motivational to read about everyone's progress!

• clockersfancy Amateur 18 posts since
    Nov 30, 2011
    141. Jan 1, 2012 3:52 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

Happy New Year! Just checking in for a little moral support. I have been fighting knee problems and did W4D1 without a lot of problem but then my knee starting bothering me again. So I did W3D3 on Saturday and then did a walk/run sort of thing yesterday to see how the knee was holding up. So far so good. Technically I should be W5D3 but I'm thinking I should stick with a modified W3 with maybe a five minute run in the middle until my knee feels better. Any thoughts? Tomorrow I go to Annapolis to get some good running shoes, hopefully that will help. I do love being able to run without a whole lot of heavy breathing but something tells me I am so not ready for a fifteen or twenty minute non-stop run yet. For those of you who are counting calorie, there is a great website www.caloriecount.com that keeps track of everything that goes in your mouth and all the activity you do. It gives a great daily analysis of your vitamins, sodium, protein, and carbs that really makes you aware of the intricate balance of your diet and activity. I'm sure you guys are already on it but I sort of stumbled upon the website and have really learned a lot about my eating habits and foods in general. Fascinating stuff.

Dec 19, 2011
    142. Jan 2, 2012 7:14 AM (in response to flatwatertx)
    Re: Any December 2011 starters?

Happy New Year everyone!

I had THE best run this morning.

It was w5d1 - 3 runs of 5 minutes each - and 3 minute walk between.

I chose a stretch of dirt road nearby with some hills figuring it would help me a little with endurance for the upcoming longer runs this week.

As I parked I was a little dubious about the hills... I thought 'am I setting myself up for a setback adding in these hills?'

But no! The first two 5 minute runs were on the uphill and the third, downhill - I figured the third would be a little reward. But actually I found the uphill runs felt much better and also probably pleasantly distracting. I went as slow as I comfortably could and kept my stride very short (as recommended in various running videos on YouTube).

It felt really great - I could have gone on and on.

I'm starting to look forward to the longer runs rather than worry. I hope I'm not tempting fate!

I forgot to mention that I ate a cookie right before I left the house this morning - its probably all down to the cookie.  Chocolate covered wheatmeal, it was... Yum.

It was a beautiful morning here in Vermont - still no snow though! Unreal. I'm attaching some pics. I hope they are small enough...

Welcome to all the new people I see - enjoy the program - the benefits are phenomenal!

Oh - one word on motivation. I enjoy watching c25k-ers videos on YouTube - one young woman has two

little girls and she has to do her runs pushing a stroller! That's motivation for me...

photo 4.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 5.JPG

Dec 19, 2011
    144. Jan 2, 2012 8:16 AM (in response to flatwatertx)

Hi flatwatertx,

So sorry to hear you are feeling poorly. I feel your frustration! But I'm sure these bumps in the road will be part of running life after c25k and beyond. I hope you're back out there very soon.

As for YouTube c25k 'vlogs' - there are some wonderful ones. I think my favorites are these two. They posted every or almost every run and give good feedback. (you can follow along the day by day by clicking their 'videos' button directly above the video but based on how I copied the link they might go from video to video automatically)

poster: susandavistv (posted a before and after video for every single run)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-9WQlY08UE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

poster: lovemydogs (very sweet girl)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1qWKC7ljzs&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Enjoy!

• offmycouch Pro 70 posts since
    Jun 22, 2011
    145. Jan 3, 2012 7:12 AM (in response to flatwatertx)

I did W5 over again and did my 20 minute run on Saturday.  I was able to do the entire 20 the first time around, but felt it would be beneficial for me to do W5 all over again before moving on.  I am glad I did.  My 20 minute W5D3 run on Saturday felt, dare I say, 'good'.  I was amazed....especially since I felt so tired doing W5D2 on Thursday.  It must be all about how you are feeling personally that day.....who knows.

I am completely amazed by the fact that I can jog for 20 minutes when not too long ago, I could barely make it through 60 seconds. ( I have done two complete weeks twice ~week 3 and week 5 ~ so I have actually been doing this program for 8 weeks.)

I moved on to week 6 and did W6D1 yesterday.  It should have been easier, but it didn't seem to go as smoothly as the 20 minute run but like everyone has been saying, I suppose it is all mental.

Thanks to everyone for posting photos and youtube links!!

Kris

• KateInWI Amateur 21 posts since
    Dec 7, 2011
    146. Jan 3, 2012 11:35 AM (in response to flatwatertx)
    Re: Any December 2011 starters?

W5D3 is in the books!! Much to my surprise it also went good, just like offmycouch said! I ran on the treadmill at 5 mph with an incline of 3%, and I resolved not to look at the clock. Before I knew it, the voice on the app told me I was halfway. I was starting to get tired toward the end of the run but nothing overwhelming.

Here's a new issue, though, which I had not encountered previously: the art of taking a sip of water while running. Does anyone know how to do this? I took a drink from my bottle during this run and lost my rhythm, breathing, etc., spilled on myself... I couldn't figure out if I should drink on the inhale or exhale....Maybe I'm thinking too much about this

Nov 28, 2011
    147. Jan 3, 2012 12:40 PM (in response to KateInWI)

Hi All!

I am soooooo THANKFUL that the holidays are over. Tonight is the last "get together" committment that my husband I have for the holiday season...and while I am a HUGE people pereson...I'll be honest and say that I'm glad it's over and I can focus on some other things!  Like RUNNING!!!

So...I did not do my second run through of W5D1 yearsday...I'm doing it today.  So...at least when I go out for pizza and salad tonight it will be post treadmill! 

I think I will maybe still try to do day two tomorrow without the rest...rest Thursday and do day 3 on Friday.  I seem to do better after work....and It hink I'm going to start taking French classes on Thursdays!  : )

I so want to be able to get through the 20 minute run.  I am DEFINITELY going to need to pysch myself up for it on Friday, since I have previously tanked.  : (   BUt, I know...these things happen...it's not the end of the world. I know. 

So...Here's to getting back on track for me.  This is my week to make it happen.  I'm working through my plan and I'm hoping it has a fruitful outcome. 

Kate...Buy a camelback bottle.  I lived and worked in a third world country for quite some time and honestly, drinking from a moving vehicle on those roads Is WAY harder than drinking while running.  They have a sipper spout on them...you won't spill, you won't choke...they are great.   It's like 9 dollars, but it's a great inventment.  You don't even have to tip your head back...just sip like you would out of a straw. 

Enjoy! : )

Nov 28, 2011
    148. Jan 4, 2012 12:10 PM (in response to Kouripoulavi)

Man...No one else has responded in a whole day!  Where is everyone? :  )

So...I left my ipod at home today which means that tonight when Ig et on the treadmill for W5D2, I will do it without the motivation that comes from my music. 

Oh man...THIS should be interesting...but I'm going to get out there and do it anyway.  I need to do it if I want to stay on track. (well...on the new track...the old track, I've already falled off of!)

I am feeling VERY lethargic.  I know this is all the sugar and food I have shoved into my system over the past week or so.  I am back to eating a more healthy variety today and hoping i get to feeling less dumpy!

Talk to you all later!

R

• SaraRhiannon Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 4, 2012
    149. Jan 4, 2012 12:55 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

Hi All,

Today is my first day of the C25k, and I am nervous! I am a young female over 200 pounds, and I am starting this with my mom who has run marathons before and just wants to get back into running... I, on the other hand, have hardly run a mile at a time... I am definitely looking for support, and will report back in a few hours about how W1D1 goes.

Wish me luck, and congratulations to everyone for doing this for themselves!

-Sara

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...