Skip navigation

848 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2012 3:14 PM by Coach Beez RSS
Coach Beez Legend 160 posts since
Feb 4, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 2, 2012 3:14 PM

What approach should I take with my child and basketball?

Hi everyone

My name is Coach Beez and I reside in the Southern California area. I was a high school alll-american, played D-1 basketball at Notre Dame and CAL, and then played 10 professional seasons in Europe. I now work as a private instructor, running also my own camps and clinics. In my years as a coach, I have seen what I believe to be the wrong approach to your child.

I truly feel to get the most out of your child in sports is to keep it FUN. I think this is easier if your son or daughter is not the most talented players. Where it becomes a challenge is when your child has some noticeable strengths in the sport, because a parent suddenly changes THEIR outlook on where this talented youngster could end up ( ie;  a college scholarship )

Don't forget that what made them good was not only their physical gifts, but also because it was FUN!  The moment you step in and start taking stats, or pushing them to practice, or telling them how to play, is when the road to burn out begins. Trust me, I've seen it over and over again. And I know parents have the right intentions. Parents think that if they don't say anything, then their child will not succeed.

Talking about it 24-7 and putting too much focus on the way they perform will only bring addded pressure, and with that added pressure comes lower performance levels.

I once interviewed a great frind of mine Doug Collins, now the coach for the 76ers. He told me in the interview that he often speaks at many high school basketball elite camps, and that during his talk he does a question and answer session. He will always ask the same question:

" Raise your hand if, after a bad game, your parents are the LAST people you want to see? "

Regularly it's around 90% of the kids that raise their hands. Coach Collins also said that the problem with parents is that they need to be disappointed FOR their child, NOT disappointed IN their child.

If this is you, it's not too late to change. All you have to do is tell your child you love them and never speak about their performance. Win or lose, bad game or good game, just hug them and say " I love you ".

Coach Beez

Yo, what up fools?: It's me, " THE MAN " , Zac Ryan. Even though I'm a cartoon character, I can still ball chump! So if you like basketball, then come check me out and read all my comic strips at:

www.zaciswack.com

I'm out.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...