Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2077 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2012 5:46 PM by ToniJR RSS
ToniJR Amateur 8 posts since
Dec 29, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 29, 2011 4:27 PM

Hello, my name is Toni!  Thought I would introduce myself.  I'm going to be 40 in 2012 and I'm setting a goal to be able to run three miles in thirty minutes by my birthday(4/20)!!

Hoping to find motivation here!  Looking forward to sharing experiences!

• ColdRider Amateur 23 posts since
    Dec 17, 2011
    1. Dec 29, 2011 6:27 PM (in response to ToniJR)

Welcome Toni, always nice to have a goal.Im sure you will find plenty of support here.looking forward to following your progress.. Bob

5k P.R. 20:08

10K P.R. 42:25

13.1 P.R. 1:44 10

26.2 P.R. 3:51:32

YOU GOT TO GET YOUR MIND RIGHT!

• Mooshela Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 27, 2011
    2. Dec 29, 2011 9:26 PM (in response to ToniJR)

Hi Toni!  I'm Melissa and your post caught my eye because I am turning 40 myself on Feb. 8!  There is a 5k I'd like to do in April, so that's my motivation. It's on 4/15, right around your birthday.  Have you started jogging yet?  I've done the workout from Week 1 a few times, very spread-out though, not all in 1 week.  I don't think it hurts to start even slower if you're really coming right off the 'couch' like I was -- like maybe half of the first workout the very first time, 10 mins instead of 20, if your body hasn't run in years.  Mine certainly hadn't.  Keep us posted on how you're doing and I'm going to try to remember to stop back here!

• Mooshela Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 27, 2011
    4. Dec 30, 2011 6:00 PM (in response to ToniJR)

Oh goodness, you are definitely not coming right off the couch then!  You sound very active and fit already. If you're going about 3.1 miles in 35 minutes, does that mean you just need to shave off 5 minutes to meet your goal?  Sounds like you're easily on the way to doing that. 

I haven't regularly exercised since college, so about 17 years. I ran for fun back then with friends, and it came easy because of being in the marching band there (Univ. of Michigan). But it's been many years and my body needs to start this up slowly -- I can tell.  Week 1 workouts are feeling fine and I'll just keep working up gradually.

Good job on your workouts so far!

• tonyak366 Amateur 18 posts since
    Jan 2, 2012
    6. Jan 3, 2012 11:16 AM (in response to ToniJR)

Toni,

I am a first time runner.  I have been doing Zumba for about a year on a pretty regular basis.  It is a pretty intense workout.  The most intense I have ever done until I started this.  I did W1D2 today.  I thought this was going to be a challenge but I figured it wouldn't be too bad because of all my Zumba hours.  I was wrong. My friend asked how I felt after day one and my response was winded, wobbly and wet with sweat (the 3 W's I'm calling it).  Running is the most intense workout I've done as well.  I am a little slower than you are.  I am resting at 3.5 and jogging at 5 on the treadmill my goal is to make it through the first 9 weeks keeping this pace and then consider starting over and picking it up.  I am training for 150 mile bike ride this August.  It takes place over 2 days and I really don't want to be the person that they have to send the truck out to get because they couldn't finish.  I'm trying to find a variety of workouts to keep me moving until the weather breaks in the Sping and I can get on my bike.  This one seems like it varies enough that it could keep me from getting board and quitting.  I love Zumba but after a year sometimes it is hard to keep up my motivation.  I need some variety.

Good Luck.

Tonya

• You Tiger Now Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 14, 2011
    8. Jan 5, 2012 8:26 PM (in response to ToniJR)

Hey Toni,

Last year was my first year of running at age 45-46, I ran 4 5K's and each one of them I was able to do 2 minutes better than the one before! It got me addicted! I am trying to eat better, I am trianing harder and better than I have ever before! I never was one for working out, I would try it modivated to get in shape and stronger but fizzled out in a month or so!  But running is so different I am geeked to do better each time, to learn a better way of running of traing to get a better time, to feel ALIVE! and healthy and in Good Spirits! Running is my life now, well God, My wife & family comes first but I am all about RUNNING!  This year I am moving up from the 5K and have signed up for 2 possibly 3  half-marathons !  I wish My wife shared my passion of running but physical exercise is not something she enjoys! But we have plenty of things we share together!

Keep Running!

Phillipians 2:16

Holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ i may be proud that I di not RUN in vain or labor in vain.

• kathruns Pro 79 posts since
    Oct 22, 2011
    10. Jan 11, 2012 5:56 AM (in response to ToniJR)

Toni, you are doing great!  Did you jump from week 2 on Jan. 3rd  with 3 minute stretches to week 9 on Jan. 10th to 3 miles?  If you did that is awesome! 

- Kathy

Harvest Hustle 5K - 27:28 11/17/12 PR

Run to Live 5K - 30:25 9/29/12

Started C25K on 10/20/11

Graduated C25K on 12/17/11

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...