Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1485 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2012 12:13 PM by PuppyRunner RSS
jalili99 Rookie 1 posts since
Nov 1, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 1, 2011 5:06 PM

Running Shoe Suggestions/Can only wear Birkenstocks/Tendinitis

Hi there,

A little background.  2 Marathons ten years ago.  Working out past 3 years - no major running, just indoor hard interval training.  This past summer, I developed tendinitis - (I started working out more and started running again.)  I went to a very good Physical Therapist and after about 10 -12 sessions, he told me that he didn't know how else to help me.  I've gone to a very good running store, they have suggested inserts, New Balance shoes for over-pronation.  But still have the same problems.

The tendonitis goes away only if I limit how much I work out and no long distance running.  And the only shoes that don't activate the tendonitis are Birkenstocks.  I actually went to Disney World for 5 days, walked about 5/6 miles a day and had no problems.  Then yesterday, I walked about 30 minutes in my Merrells and the tendinitis kicked backed in.

So any suggestions on shoes I can work out or run with?  Or any other suggestions?

• Steit02 Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 4, 2011

VMS-ONE.com, new innovative foot orthtic that does it all. Will help you with your tendonitis. I have pronation as well and if I dont wear these then I have knee pain. Thanks to these I can run with the best of them!

• rbird Legend 1,073 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

If you are only able to walk in sandals without pain, have you considered trying running in them?  It's extreme, and you should ease into it very slowly, but it might make a difference if every shoe you have tried aggravates your tendinitis.

Check out Invisible Shoes and Luna Sandals.  I've been experimenting with them and sharing the results in my blog.

2010 Space Coast Marathon 4:27:39

2011 Charleston Marathon 4:25:58

2011 Croom Fools Run 50k 6:16:51

2011 Marine Corps Marathon 4:24:48

2011 Jacksonville Bank Marathon 4:44:12 (4:45 Pace Leader)

2012 Florida Keys Ragnar Relay 28:20:47 (3rd place-Mixed Ultra)

Check it out - I'm bloggin'!

• PuppyRunner Amateur 20 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011

Hi! I don't think you mentioned where your tendinitis is occurring. That might be helpful to know for a better recommendation, but I would suggest trying a minimal shoe and starting learning the right stride and gait for you, slowly. I say this because: 1, the Birkenstock is ok for you and it has a negative heel cup, and 2, because the inserts for over-pronation don't seem to be working for you. I have had chronic knee pain for over 20 years and I can now run with no pain at all since I switched to the NB Minimus road. (I don't work for them!) My knee and also heel pain would act up again after only a few steps of walking or jogging in my other running and cross-training shoes, including other New Balance models, Asics, Reebok and Nike, so I got rid of them completely, won't even keep them for yard work .

I hope this helps. I never thought I'd be able to run again until a few months ago. Good Luck!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...