Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

13553 Views 40 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2009 1:20 PM by susan-n-the black dog RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • VanessaCVT Rookie 48 posts since
    Nov 15, 2003
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. Apr 7, 2006 9:02 AM (in response to RunrWife)
    Re: Thunder Thighs

compared to the rest of me (scrawny arms and flat chest) my butt and thighs have always been unproportionally large.

HIGH mileage is what got rid of them. Anything under 50mpw and they'll still be there, actually, if I'm only doing like 30 or 40mpw they're more likely to be bigger. It's the really high miles that gets rid of them. I'm 5'3 and at about 115 I'll still have them, they start to go away sub-110, and they're finally normal around 105.

So basically, if you've got the time, run some more!

• LeahC044 Rookie 129 posts since
    Sep 5, 2005
    17. Apr 8, 2006 11:20 AM (in response to RunrWife)

quote:

Originally posted by Phatso1184:

compared to the rest of me (scrawny arms and flat chest) my butt and thighs have always been unproportionally large.

HIGH mileage is what got rid of them. Anything under 50mpw and they'll still be there, actually, if I'm only doing like 30 or 40mpw they're more likely to be bigger. It's the really high miles that gets rid of them. I'm 5'3 and at about 115 I'll still have them, they start to go away sub-110, and they're finally normal around 105.

So basically, if you've got the time, run some more!

If you don't mind my asking a personal question, approximately what size do you wear?  I'm also 5'3" and my goal weight is approximately 115 (I'm way up at 140 right now)..  I know body shapes are different, etc. but I'm curious..  If I'm being too nosey just ignore me    I've never been at that weight in a healthy way (used to be anorexic) so I don't have any idea if 115 is an appropriate goal for me or not..

• VanessaCVT Rookie 48 posts since
    Nov 15, 2003
    18. Apr 8, 2006 11:56 AM (in response to RunrWife)

quote:

Originally posted by LeahC:

If you don't mind my asking a personal question, approximately what size do you wear?  I'm also 5'3" and my goal weight is approximately 115 (I'm way up at 140 right now)..  I know body shapes are different, etc. but I'm curious..  If I'm being too nosey just ignore me     I've never been at that weight in a healthy way (used to be anorexic) so I don't have any idea if 115 is an appropriate goal for me or not..

depends on the store really, but usually anywhere between a 0 and a 4, depending on the season (I drop a lot of weight during my racing seasons)

115 is completely healthy for 5'3...go for it!

• starpine13 Rookie 21 posts since
    Sep 24, 2005
    19. Apr 8, 2006 12:17 PM (in response to RunrWife)

quote:

Originally posted by nelaina:

I have noticed the same. I don't really have thunderthighs, I do have a round arse, but my thighs are more muscular with a little extra padding in the back. I have noticed when i do speedwork or intervals they seem to tone up. I can also easily manipulate the size if i do 40 walking lunges three times a week.

This sounds like it'd be good, are walking lunges like regular but you keep going forward?
    My thighs appearance improved when I was jumping rope for cross-training. Now that I've stopped, they're more 'giggley' again, despite still running. And its not due to being overweight, just a female thing I think. I'm slowly increasing mileage.
    Aamos; I can't imagine doing Two Marathons in two days, but I would love to have accomplished that! How long have you been running, if you don't mind me asking in this thread?

• nelaina Rookie 11 posts since
    Feb 22, 2006
    20. Dec 21, 2007 5:18 PM (in response to RunrWife)

quote:

Originally posted by starpine13:

This sounds like it'd be good, are walking lunges like regular but you keep going forward?

Yep! thats exactly what they are. The great thing about them is you can do them right after a run outside or something. You don't need any weight, just step and lunge forward and then move your weight to the front foot and bring the back foot to meet the front, and continue on opposite foot forward...after about 40 you really start to feel it in your upper thighs, buttocks, and they are a great way to shape your legs without using weights. One important thing is to make sure your front knee is in line with your front ankle when lunging, and try to go as wide of a lunge as you can while maintaining proper form.

[http://This message has been edited by nelaina (edited Apr-08-2006).|http://This message has been edited by nelaina (edited Apr-08-2006).]

• runnerparris Rookie 329 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    21. Apr 8, 2006 2:27 PM (in response to RunrWife)

quote:

Originally posted by Phatso1184:

depends on the store really, but usually anywhere between a 0 and a 4, depending on the season (I drop a lot of weight during my racing seasons)

115 is completely healthy for 5'3...go for it!

I'm 5' 3" low side of a medium frame.  I currently weigh 107 and have not been in size 0 since Jr high.  Mostly size 3 jr, at 112-115 size 5 usually fit better. It gives you an idea of the different body types.  I agree 115 is fine.

Sep 5, 2005
    22. Apr 9, 2006 10:43 AM (in response to RunrWife)

I have a medium frame.  I'm not sure if that accounts for the difference, or if it's the way we all carry weight differently but at 130lbs I'm an 8-10, and once when I weighed 95lbs I was a size 2 (but that's anorexic weight, meaning almost no muscle).  I guess I'll just have to work for it and see what happens.

Does anyone know if US sizes are different from Canadian sizes? I've heard that there's a slight difference and that a size 8 US is a 10 or so here in Canada (controlling for variability between brands). They say it's because of the american obesity epidemic and the smaller size numbers make people feel better about it. I have no idea if that's true though.

Obviously neither of you are obese but what I mean is maybe that accounts for the fact that even at 95lbs I wasn't a size 0, whereas one of you, at 115, can be..

• SportiGrl Pro 470 posts since
    Jul 22, 2004
    23. Apr 9, 2006 11:10 AM (in response to RunrWife)

US sizes do tend to read smaller than international sizes ... I have heard that many times over the years since I was a little kid and saw my first 'women's magazine' full of fashion and make-up tips, lol    .. and for the first time 'realized' I am a heffer and very overweight and will never be one of the 'beautiful' people, hahahaha  gag  (j/k on that, I'm very happy and very fit - though not entirely unaffected by the media oversaturation of thinner is better and the main factor in what beauty is  barf)

I don't give a hoot what size a tag says ... I know how I look naked and whether I am satisfied with it or not ... a stinkin' clothing manufacturers label doesn't matter one iota! I feel sad for those women that turn down nice clothes that flatter their figure just because they don't like what the tag says their size is!

I'm 5'8" and weigh 150# +/- and buy almost all junior sized clothes either 7/8 or 9/10 ... I haven't weighed 100-115 # since I was maybe 9 or 10 years old and NEVER wore a 0-3 ... I hopped right into women's 6's in 5th grade ... small waist, muscular big butt and thighs and had a gap in the back of my pants for EVER until the glorious introduction of low rise jeans!!! YIPPEE

btw - I am willing to bet my 'thunder thighs' are nearly as big as the last few posters' waists ... 22 1/2"

It's amazing how each of us, no matter how fit, beautiful, and strong still are sidelined and negatively effected by perceived flaws in our bodies  ... so sad.

Sep 5, 2005
    24. Apr 9, 2006 6:31 PM (in response to RunrWife)

absolutely..  I cringe at the thought of having huge muscular thighs because they're so "unattractive", but at the same time I know that's an awful way to think because strength is always a good thing..

When I was younger I was determined that if I lost enough weight I would look like a model. It took a long time as an anorexic to realize that it wasn't just weight but proportion that meant I'll never look like that.. And it was a heartbreaking revelation, let me tell you..

I hate that the media doesn't only go after our weight.  Weight is controllable.  But the media also tells us that you also have to have long legs, a curvy (but not too curvy!) figure, a great bust (not too small, not too big..), and only enough muscle that it doesn't really show.  In figure drawing class they taught us that normal people are 7 heads high, but supermodels are 8-8.5 heads high.  It's ridiculous - real people can never look like that.  I really like though that in England they have rules that if you're smaller than a size 2, you can't model.. That's a step in the right direction..

• SportiGrl Pro 470 posts since
    Jul 22, 2004
    25. Apr 10, 2006 4:03 PM (in response to RunrWife)

well ... I don't know about unattractive  ... I'm 38 and have many people admire and comment on how they would like to look like me ... and I work in a bathing suit, it doesn't hide much!  LOL

• marnie917 Rookie 9 posts since
    Mar 28, 2006
    26. Apr 10, 2006 4:05 PM (in response to RunrWife)

Let me keep my junk in the trunk! The thunder thighs are all yours for the taking. However, I'd rather have them than skin and bones! I have the classic "bubble butt", which I attribute to my years of figure skating, and the extra cushion on my inner thighs that my mother always told me "its cushioning for when you have your babies!" When I started 35+ mpw I noticed my butt started to get 'perkier' and my legs getting nicely toned but those inner thighs aren't going anywhere...lucky for the future kiddies I guess :-P

• Laurlita Rookie 62 posts since
    Dec 6, 2005
    27. Apr 10, 2006 7:16 PM (in response to RunrWife)

I have thunder thighs.  They are strong and powerful and because of them I can haul as*s up hills.  They have a little cushion of fat on the back of them, granted...but who cares?
    I spent the better part of 35 years hating my thighs...but now I love them.
    They may be big, but they look hot in a mini skirt!

Look at Venus Williams in the milk add.....her legs are awesome...and they are not little!
    Look at Tina Turner..back in the day (and even now) hot!

Learn to love your legs!

• hldoerich Rookie 12 posts since
    Jul 9, 2005
    28. Apr 25, 2006 12:56 PM (in response to RunrWife)

Ladies!!!!  The Gap is WONDERFUL!!!

If you have a problem with "thunder thighs" like myself due to running then get in your car, go to the nearest Gap and check out their new pants and jeans called "curvey". I LOVE THEM!!!

Perfect at the waist, not to high, not too low, perfect in the thighs and butt! Not to mention VERY trendy!

I have these: http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=11416&pid=351088[/URL" target="_blank">

and these:
    http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=11416&pid=351090[/URL" target="_blank">

and one of these:
    http://www.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=12099&mlink=5664,565920&clink=565920[/URL" target="_blank">

----

Holly[/URL" target="_blank">

My Running Log[/URL" target="_blank">

• Spanky420 Rookie 69 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    29. Apr 25, 2006 6:41 PM (in response to RunrWife)

I have found the elliptical machine trims down on the thighs.  I never had big thighs to begin w/, but doing the elliptical has trimmed them down and toned them up at the same time.  I used to do many different weight lifting exercises for my legs in college for Track & Field and I couldn't get my jeans over my thighs they bulked up so much.  But the elliptical has helped to tone and trim my legs...and I love them now!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...