Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

21015 Views 115 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2012 5:30 PM by tonyak366 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8 Previous Next
  • msvegan Amateur 8 posts since
    Jun 20, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Jan 4, 2012 7:11 AM (in response to kts0815)
    Starting January 2012

W1D2 completed!  This second day felt harder to do than the first day, but I felt great after I finished.  Keep on truckin' everyone!

• flatwatertx Amateur 22 posts since
    Dec 1, 2011
    31. Jan 4, 2012 9:30 AM (in response to kts0815)
    Starting January 2012

Hey everyone,

I'm a December C25K starter and wanted to share these with you.  These are music podcast I found with (IMO) have great music selections to run to with someone that voices in to tell you when to run and when to walk with each of the weeks of the C25K program. There are a few others out there but the music just didn't do it for me.  Anyhow I hope they help.  I didn't like having to depend on my watch or my cell but everyone has their own opinions as to what works for them.  So good luck with your runs and don't give up.

http://www.podcastalley.com/podcast_details.php?pod_id=57826

http://gonicoleyourself.blogspot.com/2008/06/couch-to-5k-podcast-page.html

http://www.getactiveandrea.blogspot.com/2012/01/week1-week3.html

• FatSteve Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 4, 2012
    32. Jan 4, 2012 10:51 AM (in response to kts0815)
    Re: Starting January 2012

i too got a jumpstart on 2012 by starting in 2011 (barely)  

i'm in my 4th week and honestly, i haven't felt this great, both mentally and physically, in a very long time. 

Congrats to everyone, let's keep it up! 

-Steve

Began C25K on 18 Dec 2011, completed on 8 Feb 2012

First 5K 11 Feb 2012 - 33:11

• MariRGCS84 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 4, 2012
    33. Jan 4, 2012 3:54 PM (in response to Jimbles)
    Starting January 2012

I'm 27 and decided it's time for a change, the last time I ran was about 5 years ago. To motivate myself, just signed up for the Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle 8K. Anyone wanna train together, let me know.

• superunner Amateur 17 posts since
    Jul 5, 2008
    34. Jan 4, 2012 4:03 PM (in response to kts0815)
    Starting January 2012

Gonna restart after a 4 month break!

TRIbook | Triathlon Training Resources

• Bobb5 Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 30, 2011
    35. Jan 5, 2012 6:03 AM (in response to kts0815)
    Starting January 2012

I'm going to start this week.  Mainly to get in better mountain biking shape but I'll be 50 in March and need to do something else!

• Lzaz Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 30, 2011
    36. Jan 5, 2012 6:02 PM (in response to kts0815)
    Starting January 2012

I'm a newbie and I'm starting on Monday! I've never run before and I'm really excited to start. I love cardio!

• msvegan Amateur 8 posts since
    Jun 20, 2011
    37. Jan 6, 2012 7:39 AM (in response to kts0815)
    Starting January 2012

Just finished Week 1.  It was actually kind of fun!  I hope everyone else is feeling the same way about their first week.  Now on to Week 2! 

• Jkrus17 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 6, 2012
    38. Jan 6, 2012 9:21 AM (in response to msvegan)
    Starting January 2012

I just signed up for the Shamrock Shuffle as my first race ever. I'm so excited and nervous. I can't wait to get my butt in shape and reach my goal of jogging/running the entire 8k!

• martifay1 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jan 18, 2009
    39. Jan 8, 2012 3:29 AM (in response to kts0815)
    Starting January 2012

Yes! I took the last year off from running, because I had to deal with a pesky Cancer tumor on my spinal cord. It was attached to about 6 nerve roots, the primary one being the one that controlled function of my right calf muscle. Happy to say, it was removed without incident, and all radiation treatments are behind me. I am finally back to full, complete health, and ready to start all over! The last race I did was the Women's Running Magazine Half Marathon in St. Pete, FL. And I was doing an average of 5 miles a day at an 8'15" min./mile pace. I am starting back doing run 1/walk 1, for 2 miles. It's frustrating, but determined to stick with it! I'll be looking for someone that is at my SLOW level to train with!

Marti

HollowtreeImages.com

• LerinTilley Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 8, 2012
    40. Jan 8, 2012 7:34 PM (in response to kts0815)
    Starting January 2012

After seeing a link for The Color Run in Dallas - http://thecolorrun.com/dallas/ - I decided I should try the C25K program. I started working out in July of 2011 with a local boot camp around the Oklahoma area, but I had to give it up in December due to not having the money to continue. So now that I've secured a better job, I decided to go for a better me, too. I hate running, honestly, but that could be because I've been doing it wrong. Starting the C25K program tomorrow, so we'll see what happens. Also going back to boot camp on Tuesday - I'll be sore for the forseeable future!

• 57778226 Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    41. Jan 8, 2012 9:03 PM (in response to martifay1)

Nice job, martifay1, with that peskiness.

Generally,

Thinking of repeating W1, so my knee has a chance to toughen up.  Feeling the ligaments on either side of the right knee.  Can't hurt to go slow.

Need mittens from this run - January in Colorado may not be the most convenient time for resolutions.

2nd run was harder than the first, which was easy.  3rd run was harder than the second. That's not particularly encouraging.

Glad for 2 days of recuperation. Perhaps the advantage of repeating week 1 is that I could take several days of recuperation, or a decade, even, without ruining my conditioning (which is none).

Hit Golden Corral, all you can eat, for dinner, as a reward.  That's a habit that I may have to break.

186 lbs, for the record.

C25K start date: 1/4/12, 186 lbs.

• Belsinger Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 10, 2012
    42. Jan 10, 2012 12:51 PM (in response to kts0815)
    Starting January 2012

I'm IN!!! Today, Week 1, Day 1.

C25K start date: 1/10/2012

• GingerSunshine Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 11, 2012
    43. Jan 11, 2012 11:33 PM (in response to kts0815)
    Starting January 2012

I've finished the first two days of C25K, found one of those podcasts, and am doing Mon-Tues-Fri on a treadmill at the Y. So far I've been walking at 3.5 and jogging at 4.5, just doing what feels good but not too easy, not too hard. I just had my fourth child last summer, was pre-pregnancy weight within two weeks (good thing, I needed to lose at least 60 lbs), lost 10 lbs, but then between vacation, stress and the holidays I gained it all back plus 7 lbs... It feels out of control. I always set ambiguous goals that I end up just forgetting about so I figured something concrete like running a 5K would help keep my focus until I get into good exercise habits. My first day was Monday evening and I hurt really bad on the outside of my upper legs and my butt until about noon the next day. The way I hurt with each step I started wondering if maybe I just had really bad form, as it was so localized. After talking with a friend and doing some research I learned my foot lands in what they call "supination" and I found some running drills on YouTube. I'm going to get fitted for some good running shoes on Saturday. I'm excited to be on this new adventure! I already talked to a friend who's considering starting too, that would be cool!

Started C25K 1/9/12

Using www.weightcommander.com to track my weight loss

Recently single Christian homeschooling mom of 4

I love TaeBo and Pilates (when I get around to doing them)

• tonyak366 Amateur 18 posts since
    Jan 2, 2012
    44. Jan 14, 2012 3:12 PM (in response to kts0815)

Just finished W2D3.  I wasn't sure I could run a minute and a half at the beginning of the week and by day 3 it wasn't too difficult.  Nice.  Little worried about next weeks 3 minute runs but gonna give it a go.  Wish me luck.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points