Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

179679 Views 929 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2012 6:06 PM by Debm2011 Go to original post 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 62 Previous Next
  • Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    735. Dec 21, 2011 5:15 PM (in response to mkayc)
    After the C25K - Continuing the Journey

It almost doesn't matter about how cold, Miles.  It's all relative - and I think the dark is a bigger factor.  Running in the cold and sunshine isn't as bad as the cold and dark. 

MaryKay - you will get your running groove back.  I have found if  I don't run for a week or so my lung capacity and endurance drop and I have to build them back up again.    Listen to Mr. PT man - although I'm not one to talk.  I have had one leg issue after another and I still haven't seen anyone.  I thinkn part of it is it's so hard to find the time to make a personal call at work to schedule a darn appt  - some days I'm too busy to go to the bathroom.  Sorry if that's TMI but it's true.

I have decided to embrace the dreadmill despite my irrational fear of falling off it.  I went to the Y this morning and managed 1 mile on the TM - holding on with one hand the whole time  - but I did it.    I couldn't believe how full the parking lot was at 5:30 a.m. - good thing I wasn't going to swim,  OMG there were at least 4 people in each lane.  If (and that's a big IF)  I can get up early again tomorrow a.m.will be the bike and the weights and Friday back to the treadmill where I'll try for 2 miles.  I find the TM harder than running on the road - maybe I'm thinking too much.  I don't know but it takes way more effort.  But at least I wasn't cold and wet in the rain.

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    736. Dec 21, 2011 8:28 PM (in response to Ogr44)

I've been doing all my runs on the treadmill lately.  I don't mind the temperature outside - it's been warmer than usual for this time of year - but the gray skies and drizzle aren't at all inviting.  Besides, I don't really mind the TM.  I have music or TV and a steady pace.  It's easy.  I didn't do a long run last week - only 6 miles - because I needed a cut back week and my groin pull has been intermittently painful.  I didn't want to find myself 5 miles from home unable to run. Tonight was the first time I tried running after dinner.  I watched a tv program and jogged the whole hour.  I had only intended to do 3 miles, but it was so easy I kept going for 5.  Current forecast is for sunshine this weekend;  I'll do my long run outdoors happily if the sun is finally shining. 

• _Miles Pro 147 posts since
    Jul 26, 2009
    737. Dec 22, 2011 11:39 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Deb- I have the same issue with the treadmill. I actually find it more challenging physically (not just the obvious mental boredom) than outside. And felt it was contributing to my heel pain issues which have pretty much gone away now after a couple weeks of doing outside jogging only again.

Ginny- I say if it works for you go for it. I think better to get it in on the treadmill then not get it in. The only reason I stopped was the injuries I was getting which I'm now pretty sure were somehow a result of my form on the treadmill. And there are those who disparage it, but I think that's unfair.

For me it wasn't not being able to run in the weather, it was not having daylight and not wanting to risk my safety running at night. And I actually jog better in the afternoon, not sure why.

Thanks to work and holiday events I'm ending up with 3 days in a row of jogging this week. Hopefully I will make it through!

-Miles

C25k Completed 08/19/11

OHR Completed 10/23/11

5k 09/24/11: 39:10

2011: 280 miles, ~14:00 mm avg

2012: 321.2 miles (so far)

Jul 26, 2009
    738. Dec 25, 2011 10:30 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Well I did not make 3 days in a row. But I did make two days in a row and then sucked it up and went out today on the holiday. Lucked out with some very nice, very warm weather. Lots of people out enjoying the outdoors. Hope you all had good weekends with your family doing what you wanted to do.

-Miles

C25k Completed 08/19/11

OHR Completed 10/23/11

• edensacres Pro 197 posts since
    Jun 19, 2010
    739. Dec 26, 2011 5:16 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Week 4 of the HH 10K plan done! - Half way done.  And the strangest thing happened at the end of the 4 mile long run -IT FELT GOOD! Physically and mentally I felt strong, tired but strong.  I got home and gave my husband a huge hug and thanked him for all of his support, helping me find the time to run, watching the kid while I'm out (which normally starts off with tears b/c I am leaving).  It really felt good.  I'm not sure when it happened, but I am starting to actually enjoy the time I spend running, as compared to only enjoying how I feel after I shower, after I run.  It is a recent occurance, and it is not a regular occurance yet- but certainly its progress. 

One tip for you all to remember for next year- If you are going to run on Xmas morning, in a small town, make sure you completely empty before you start.  Everything was closed and I was suffering from serious GI discomfort on my 3 mile run.   

Mary Kay- I'm feeling good today, if this euphoria continues, you might have some early morning company on May 6th!

Stephanie

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

Jun 12, 2011
    740. Dec 27, 2011 7:23 PM (in response to edensacres)

Well, I made it to the Y 3 days in a row last week:  TM, bike, TM with weight lifting on the bike day, then aqua aerobics and weight lifting Sat.  Took Sunday and Monday completely off - back to the Y thismorning.  I'm up to 2.25 miles on the TM including warm up and cool down.  You have definitely  pegged it Miles - I find the TM much more mentally and physically exhausting - I find it  harder to run on the TM but the cold is starting to get to me - if I get too cold my finger tips go numb  - brrrr.  I think I will save outdoor runs for temps above 35-40 in the sunshine. Back to work tomorrow and Thursday and then I've taken Friday off for another 4 day weekend - I hope the weather cooperates for an outdoor run.

Congrats Stephanie!  That is a wonderful feeling. 

Wow Ginny - I hope I can get that kind of treadmill stamina at some point - it would be nice to lose myself in a tv show and just keep running.

Is it spring yet?

• Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    741. Dec 28, 2011 1:17 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

I have gotten out couple time in the past week - Planning to run end of year 5K on the 31st - Just don't feel up to 10K.  I start up with real push in jan as I work toward Marine Corp Historic Half in May 1012..

Hope everyone is having a good and safe holiday season

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

• superbuffbob Amateur 16 posts since
    Dec 21, 2011
    742. Dec 28, 2011 2:20 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

I looked at www.b210k.com but the site looks down currently, does anyone have a prefered option that you could point me in the direction off please ?

Almost 50 years young - was about 340lbs, now about 180 lbs and just started running for the first time in 28 years

Started the c25k dec 2011 and will move onto b210k once I have completed it

First 5k booked for 18th March 2012 - Malaga Spain

First 10k booked for May 27th 2012 - London UK

Super Buff Bob

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    743. Dec 28, 2011 5:26 PM (in response to Debm2011)

Deb, I am so with you about the cold. It just sucks the fun right out of the run. Even though I've figured out how to keep my head and hands warm, if I dress for running comfort, the sweat makes me freezing cold as soon as I start walking. If I dress for walking, I have to carry layers. And WTH, I'm training for a race in May. Even if it rains, it's not going to be freezing. The trouble is that with all the workout I've had from PT and my trips to the gym, my physical stamina just isn't the same when I'm only running inside and then switch to running outside. What's up with that? So, your approach sounds like a good compromise. And, as for ways to embrace the dreadmill, I have no easy answers. I just pump the music up, tell myself an hour is an hour whether it's outside or inside and try to push through. It's not easy.

HM training starts next week and I'm stuck at 4 mi. although I completed one 5.5 mi run last week when the weather was warm. I'm afraid I won't be able to keep up because I'm slow and that will frustrate me and/or I won't be able to push past 5 miles. Well, if I don't train with a group I'm less likely to do it so I've got to give it try?

Stephanie, love hearing you're enjoying your runs. Hitting that groove is such a great feeling. I'm so glad you're getting there! I'm looking forward to seeing you at the Flying Pig. Even if I'm not totally ready, I'll give the HM a try. I'm going to be working from the HH plan, also. Just hope I can stick with it. I have a problem with self-discipline when things get tough.  

Miles, I am also not comfortable running in the dark and it's way colder, too, so I'll be switching to inside more. This is a problem since my HM training group is running Tues evenings.  I'm already setting myself up to miss because, like you, Ginny, I have no interest in that freezing rain. Not enlisting in the Israeli army any time soon.

?Anyone having breathing problems in the cold? I stopped using my inhaler awhile ago but noticed chest pain today and PT man said the cold sometimes aggravates asthma like heat and humidity. Just wondering. My pace wasn't all that fast. I hate adding in drugs to the stress of running. As it is, I've stopped taking Alleve until after my runs because of the things I've read.

Well, you all sound like you're moving forward well. Stay healthy and have great runs!

Happy New Year!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Jun 12, 2011
    744. Jan 1, 2012 11:32 AM (in response to mkayc)

Happy New Year everyone!  I started off the year with a great 4 mile run.  Other than my right foot going a little numb on me somewhere after mile 2, I had no pain, no breathing issues, it was a great run.  It was also 51 degrees in the Boston 'burbs on New Year's Day which you don't see too often.  I really think the cold is the root of all my problems.  Once the temps drop below 40 my chest feels tight, my muscles cramp up, my fingertips go numb - even with gloves once they're numb it takes a bit to get them warmed up again. 

I downloaded an audio book - although the Android Audible App kept cutting out on me,  I really enjoyed listening to the book.  Maybe that kept me going?  I really feel that I could have gone farther than 4 miles but didn't want to overdo it - and I knew my son wouldn't want me out all day. 

Here's hoping that starting the year with a great run is a good omen. 

Happy running -   and new year - to you all. 

Jul 26, 2009
    745. Jan 2, 2012 4:10 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Stephanie- Way to go. I try to remember well all those "felt great while running" moments to get me through so many of the other times I just want to stop.

Deb- I hear ya. Sort of like choosing the lesser of two evils in choosing between cold and the treadmill. That's really great of you to power through it though and do what needs be done.

Ogr- Good luck on your half marathon training!

Mary Kay- If you've done 5.5 once, you KNOW you can do 5 again. I've been having some mild chest pain lately too, I never thought about it being connected to the cold but maybe that is it. It goes away pretty soon after and has only been happening on my longer runs towards the end. Freaks me out a bit, though I don't think it's anything serious.

Well I've been not doing great on the consistency train. Did pretty well up to the holidays, then missed a short run last week due to timing. Now I've caught a cold and have already missed a long run and will likely miss another one to two runs this coming week as a result. So aggravating but I really have felt so tired and it's in my throat and chest so I didn't figure it'd be a good idea to try to run through it. Hoping to feel well enough soon to get back at it. That combined with all the bad food from the holidays and I really am feeling lazy and bloated and definitely afraid to weigh myself

Hope everyone is doing great!

-Miles

C25k Completed 08/19/11

OHR Completed 10/23/11

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    746. Jan 3, 2012 10:00 AM (in response to _Miles)

Deb, Great going! Glad you got the chance to enjoy the warm.

Miles, we must be sisters from another Mister or sister/brother from another mother. I feel exactly the same way, just nursing a low grade cold that could be holiday related fatigue and funk all settled in my chest. New Years it was 50 here and I struggled to get past a mile. Started walking around 1.5. That's ridiculous! So what if I couldn't sleep because I had two glasses of wine and I don't drink and I was apprehensive because this was my first group run and they were all seasoned runners and I was so far behind them I got lost and it was windy and raining. Since when should that make the difference between four miles and practically no miles? Enough whining.

I can reassure you, Miles, that a week without running will not affect your distance or your conditioning. BTDT more than once. So, if you need it, take the rest. The strength you'll have when you come back will be a pleasant surprise and you'll get well faster.

Someone asked about my PT strength training. Part of it included exercise bands and I found them online. They're called r.loops at re-designonline.com. I just ordered the teal and dark cherry ones for $26 + shippng. The site has exercise pix somewhere.

Great runs to all! Good luck with your training goals and keep posting. Happy New Year!     

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Jun 12, 2011
    747. Jan 3, 2012 4:23 PM (in response to mkayc)

Feel better soon MaryKay and Miles!  Take the time to get better and you will be able to run better for the rest.

I rolled over and hit snooze more times than I care to admit so tomorrow I hit the treadmill at the Y without fail.  I hope.  It was a high of 25 today and tomorrow promises to be a high of 20 and a low of 5 - with wind chills.  yay.  No way will I be outside tomorrow.

and I am so not getting on the scale until a few weeks of being "good" are behind me.  I have been off track since October but I vow to get back with the program starting now.  Wish me luck!

Happy running.

• Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    748. Jan 5, 2012 12:09 PM (in response to _Miles)

Thanks - I plan to sign up for the race as soon as I can - that way I have it staring me in the face...

I did end up getting out on the 31st.  have not been out since - out visiting family.  serious training should start on the 9th.  I have been very tempted by race in anchorage, Ak.  Sound to me like a very good excuse to go back up there and be tourist.  I have been in alaska several times (even anchorage) but alway sitting in back of a Navy P-3...did manage to get some good fishing in one week when we got weathered out of Adak and had to sit at Elmendorf for 5 days....

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

• edensacres Pro 197 posts since
    Jun 19, 2010
    749. Jan 6, 2012 6:37 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

I experience so many ups and downs as a new runner- I try to hold on to those good runs not to let the "bad" runs linger and just congratulate myself for getting out there and sticking with it- the works for the most part.  But today, I am battling the imaginary ghosts.  You see, tomorrow I have my first 5 mile run, 4.5 is the longest so far and I am fighting my mind to stop building this into something bigger than it is - its only a freakin' half mile more.  I keep saying a half mile more, slow and steady, one foot at a time, but its not working - but I cant get it out of my mind.  If I wasnt an hour away from my running shoes - I'd do the damn thing now. 

Any jedi mind tricks you'd like to share to help me get to my run tomorrow moring without going crazy first?

Stephanie

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 62 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...