Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1605 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2006 10:13 AM by chele519
AliCat1 Rookie 70 posts since
Aug 13, 2004
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 11, 2006 12:57 PM

salad dressing

i know this is prolly been discussed numerous times, but i'm really looking to broaden my horizons with homemade salad dressings.

any favorite concoctions?

• bdg1218 Rookie 21 posts since
    Feb 2, 2006
    1. Apr 11, 2006 2:52 PM (in response to AliCat1)
    Re: salad dressing

Cottage cheese 
    Salad dressing powder mix (like Good Seasons)

- - the quanity of each is dependent upon your liking.
    - - whip it all together in a food processor; maybe add a drizzle of olive oil or some milk to thin it out some it you need to.

A really tasty, low fat,  creamy protein packed dressing.

• binoko Rookie 43 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Apr 13, 2006 12:52 AM (in response to AliCat1)

put olive oil in the frying pan, saute the maitake mushrooms. when they start giving off water, add the garlic (at least 3-4 cloves pressed), salt and freshly ground black pepper.  when the garlic looks a little crispy, turn off the heat and swirl in the balsamic vinegar.  swish the pan around a bit to get it all mixed up then pour it over the spinach.  top with diced tomatoes.  thinly sliced parmesan and prosciutto are optional.

I've learned that the key to good salad dressings that are oil and vinegar based is salt.

• Laura on a bike099 Rookie 183 posts since
    Feb 22, 2005
    3. Apr 13, 2006 11:05 AM (in response to AliCat1)

balsmic
    crushed garlic
    olive oil
    touch of salt and pepper
    italian seasoning (salt free) oregano, basil, etc.

wisk together and enjoy.

• TinyGirl Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Apr 13, 2006 11:41 AM (in response to AliCat1)

5 tbsp olive oil
    2 tbsp red wine vinegar
    1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
    Lots of salt and pepper

Really, really good with a pear, proscuitto and parmesan salad!

• Ice Cream Rookie 548 posts since
    Dec 28, 2003
    6. Apr 13, 2006 5:18 PM (in response to AliCat1)

I have used canned pears in juice, blended them with broth, salt, pepper, dried cranberries, and some balsamic vinegar.  Turned out to be pretty good and fat free.  (I am doing it from memory).  Also, I find that using concentrate orange juice mixed in with some other stuff adds good flavor.

• teetime Rookie 445 posts since
    Aug 17, 2002
    7. Apr 13, 2006 6:43 PM (in response to AliCat1)

quote:

Originally posted by Ice Cream:

I have used canned pears in juice, blended them with broth, salt, pepper, dried cranberries, and some balsamic vinegar. Turned out to be pretty good and fat free. (I am doing it from memory). Also, I find that using concentrate orange juice mixed in with some other stuff adds good flavor.

One of my favorite salads is a romaine base with grapefruit sections and avocado slices.  The dressing is part yogurt, part mayo, and a few Ts of frozen OJ.  Very yummy.

• RunMonkey Rookie 189 posts since
    Dec 7, 2005
    8. Apr 14, 2006 5:53 AM (in response to AliCat1)

quote:

Originally posted by binoko:

put olive oil in the frying pan, saute the maitake mushrooms. when they start giving off water, add the garlic (at least 3-4 cloves pressed), salt and freshly ground black pepper. when the garlic looks a little crispy, turn off the heat and swirl in the balsamic vinegar. swish the pan around a bit to get it all mixed up then pour it over the spinach. top with diced tomatoes. thinly sliced parmesan and prosciutto are optional.

I've learned that the key to good salad dressings that are oil and vinegar based is salt.

This sounds awesome, and thanks for the salt tip. I'm always disappointed in vinaigrettes when I make them at home and maybe that's why.

• chele519 Rookie 340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Apr 14, 2006 10:13 AM (in response to AliCat1)

quote:

Originally posted by AliCat1:

thanks for the tips.

anyone know any dressing that doesn't include olive oil?

I make the good seasons dressings without oil. I just use extra vinegar.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...