Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1485 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2012 1:10 PM by NzAndy
Kymberleeg Rookie 5 posts since
Jan 7, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 8, 2012 10:56 AM

Question regarding how to fit cycling into my training?

I recently decided to sign up to run a 5K obstacle course.  (it is called the Warrior Dash if anyone is interested).  I have signed up for a Boot Camp to focus on the strength portion of the race, and I am doing the Couch to 5K program.  My plan is to do Boot Camp on M/W and run on T/Th.  I am not a runner so the past few days have been a little tough on the body.  Nothing earth shattering...just sore muscles and some fatigue.  Anyway, back to my original question.  I was suppose to go on a group ride this morning (easy 20/25 mile spin), and I bagged because my body was just not feeling it.  I'm wondering if I should have just gone and worked through the fatigue or if I did the right thing to use today as a recovery?  My second question is if y'all think that once I get use to the running program if cycling on Sundays would be a good addition to my routine.  I worked on my cycling a lot last year so I don't want to ignore my bike, but I don't know how I can fit it all into a week.  :-) 

For what its worth, I am not a beginning cyclist and usually ride at least a couple of times a week.  Certainly not hard core but enough that I am comfortable on a bike.  :-) 

• MotiveForcer Community Moderator 448 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

HI Kym,

I'm a dedicated cyclist and formerly a dedicated runner.  I've been a moderator here at ACTIVE though I don't know if that status still exists. Anyway, I think it neat that you showed restraint by holding off on pushing yourself on a ride when you are focusing on your running.  I do think you could have gone for an easy spin the day after your run but since the running is new to you, give yourself a chance to come into your running form.  You will find that running, as you get stronger, may compliment your riding so long as you make sure that you continue to keep your focus on a smooth and efficient pedaling stroke. In my view a strong runner can become a decent rider right off the bat but the reverse does not hold. Riding muscles just don't push the ground as well as running muscles push the pedals. 

Running is certainly more weight bearing so your structural architecture, your bones, will be enhanced/strengthened by putting your feet to the ground. So, as you start in what sounds like a fairly intense running regimen, I would suggest that you continue on your bike but take it easy on your spins, especially if you just trained hard the day before or plan on runnning hard he next day.  Give yourself a chance to recover. 

I would not give up on the fun Sunday rides. Your running will keep you into it but may I suggest that you try to get more than one ride in per week, even if the ride(s) you do are shorter than usual and at an easier pace.

EJ LEVY
    Motive Forcer

• NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010

I agree with EJ that you need to allow a fair amount of time for the transition to running.  It requires more physical adaption than cycling so doing 3 or 4 short runs per week will be best until you get more used to it.  The cycling will help a lot in that many of the muscles are already used to training so by all means keep at it.  When I moved from road cycling into triathlons I found that despite doing less time on the bike I actually ended up with better performances so don't worry about losing out.    March isn't far away so a heavy training schedule of 4 or 5 times a week is not unusual, just make sure you allow time to recover and don't over do it. 

Warrior Dashes are cool, enjoy the day and remember your bike won't be jealous when you get back to it. 

Andy

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points