Skip navigation

1804 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2012 2:05 PM by Michael_Taylor RSS
Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
May 25, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 1, 2012 9:36 AM

Ref:  Catcher goes Crazy

I tried to add this point to Dan's post below, but for some reason, Active said "Messages are throttled because of frequency!"  Wow!  I had just posted a reply to Dan's New Year wish.  That's it!

Not like I put up 500 posts on selling baseball equipment!

Anyway, to wit:

When we saw the video of the player shoving the plate ump, I was wondering if anyone out there had ever been assaulted by a manager, coach, or player while on the field, or for that matter, by anyone else after the game?

Have you ever been in a situation where you feared for your well-being?

Have a Happt New Year and a great 2012 ball season!

Mike CVUA

• BlueBeak Legend 300 posts since
    Nov 26, 2002
    1. Jan 2, 2012 8:47 AM (in response to Mike_CVUA)
    Re: Ref: Catcher goes Crazy

Have you ever been in a situation where you feared for your well-being?

Sort of. About 7-8 years ago when I had the dish in an "11 y.o." tournament game. In the 2nd inning there was a close play at 2nd base and my young partner pointed to me to make the call. I signaled out (3rd out), called time and gestured my partner to come talk with me. While the fans on that side were griping loud and often, my partner said he got blocked couldn't see the call so he deferred to me. While I believe that the call was the correct one by me, I believed the fans were more upset that he pointed to me ~ 90 feet away, and felt their player was safe.

Well on any close plays after that, the fans on that side were chirping their opinions. Nothing out of hand though, and I blocked it out. Around the 5th inning or so, one of them took up residence behind the backstop directly behind home plate. While there is a screen there one can still see through it (and obviously hear through it) and this kind gent started talking and making dubious comments about my heritage. I called timeout and informed him that he could not be there, that he was a distraction to the battery as well as the batter. He wouldn't move. As I was informing the game director that this man must move, the fence dweller threatened me. He told me to come outside the fence so he could teach me a lesson. At this point it became obvious that he was either drunk, stoned, or both. He was extremely unkempt (and quite a large SOB at that) and he started shaking the fence saying stuff like, "come on out tough guy", etc. etc. So I called the cops on my cell phone. When the cops arrived at the field, brave heart took off running into the woods. Never saw him again.

Time wounds all heels.....

• NELL_blue Legend 303 posts since
    May 21, 2010
    2. Jan 2, 2012 12:07 PM (in response to Mike_CVUA)

You are such a chatty Kathy!!!!   To much of a bandwidth hog in 2012 already?    

My first year as an Umpire, I umped a game in Marcus Hook, PA. Back then I was a professionai umpire. I made 35 bucks a game.

Somewhere in the game the pitcher, who was about 12, started getting wild. He was good through 4, but in the 5th he started missing by inches.

He didn't like some of my calls. After not calling what he thought was a strike, and me calling ball.(Actually back then I said nothing if it was a ball) he mouthed the word, "Rooster sucker".(Active would flag, but I am sure you can dicypher that) I was sure I had read those words on his lips, but I wasn't 100% sure. So next pitch is a ball again, and this time I was 110% sure as he said it again. Since only me and him were involved, I called time and walked out to talk to him. I said, son, "I sure hope you aren't saying any curse words towards me, you are only 12 and if I see it again, I will run you!"  His manager never came out.

Well, the inning ends, he stops, and heads to the dug out. His mom, a rough looking 5'10", 300 pounder asks her little boy what I said to him. 

She goes ballistic, and starts screaming at the top of her lungs that her son would never say "Rooster Sucker"!(I had never said what he mouthed to the kid.)

So the manager shuts her up and the game soon ends. Back in those days my wife and 2 young kids would come watch me work and picnic a bit somewhere on/around the field!

So as I am walking towards my family, wife and 2 young sons, this huge mom/woman comes out of no where and starts threatening me and dropping every unimaginable curse word in the presence of all these kids. I walked passed my family and straight to my truck to not have then get in ear shot. No manager, no facilities director to help me, they were at other end of field at the snack bar turning off lights, etc. I remained calm, and kept a low voice. Madam, I said, I never told your son that word, but I know where he heard it now! As I was my truck, she was right at my wondow, screaming. I slowly drove away!

I was shaking for about an hour. I'm pretty sure, at least in my nightmares, she looked similar to the woman below!

http://blogs.smarter.com/blogs/big%20female%20mustache.jpg

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    4. Jan 6, 2012 5:06 AM (in response to Mike_CVUA)

I have had a couple of instances of problems. One was an 17 yr old that I tossed. He came at me cussing. I thought he was going to hit me so my self defense training kicked in. I side stepped him and open palm shot him in the back of the shoulder. Mom lost her mind and attacked me. I controlled her and went to my truck. Her husband was called, as were the police. The father wanted to fight, the police said the son was the only one that could press charges and he refused. I was the UIC and I suspended myself for a year, the time he had to go back and press charges.

The other bad one was a coach that I tossed. I balked his son and he couldn't believe I could ever balk his stud son. He wanted to argue after the ejection and I told him he had to leave. He asked if I was man enough to take him off the field. I told him yes but I didn't want it to go there. He said he would see me in the parking lot after the game. I told him he was now ejected from the property. He said he wasn' going anywhere and I couldn't make him. I told him that I had plenty of friends at the sheriff's dept. He replied he was the law then he left. I wanted to know where he was a cop that he was out there threatening me, turns out he was a guard at a state prison. He threatened me again as he was leaving, but he left. Just before the game was over the president asked if I wanted him to call for police. I asked why, the guy left the property, which is what I asked. He said what he came back, I said I would just have to whip him. Nothing ever happened and I still umpire his son in the men's league.

Michael S. Taylor

• NELL_blue Legend 303 posts since
    May 21, 2010
    5. Jan 6, 2012 7:00 AM (in response to Michael_Taylor)
    Ref: Catcher goes Crazy

Suspending yourself for 1 year?  That must have been tough!    

I have to say in my home league, the griping from the dads has lessoned since we make them volunteer to ump the minor A and B games during the regular season.

I have my first clinic to teach them in February. Worth every minute IMHO! 

I will also add that the moms are always way worse when it comes to their kid. Mama Grizzly is a thought that goes through my mind more often every year.

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    6. Jan 6, 2012 12:55 PM (in response to NELL_blue)

Just the opposite.... About 40 years ago I was in the stands as a spectator at a high school baseball game and witnessed a base umpire decking a coach with one punch----the one and only punch thrown  by either party----after several verbal confrontations.

Frank!

May 25, 2007
    7. Jan 6, 2012 5:10 PM (in response to NELL_blue)

It was tough but the president of the league and I discussed it. I suggested suspending myself, he felt just not working his games was enough. I felt complete removal was best. It was tough because the league was a block from my house.

Momma bears can be brutal.

Michael S. Taylor

• beowulf37 Legend 219 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    8. Jan 9, 2012 5:19 AM (in response to Michael_Taylor)

So you admitted fault for defending yourself when someone charged you?  Well done.  You just made life harder for the rest of us. 

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    9. Jan 9, 2012 8:33 AM (in response to Mike_CVUA)

I've had my share of upset coaches and parents verbally abuse me on my way off the field.  Nothing that I can recall ever escalated to near blows.

One I vividly remember, however, was a fine gentleman who waited for me after I finished an 11-12 LL District tournament game.  He waited at least 30 minutes after I went into the host league's board room to change out of my uniform and plate gear, grab some food and drink that the league laid out in the room for the umpires, went over the post-game with my partners, and then headed for my car.

He followed me all the way to my car to give me a piece of his mind.  It was just him and me, as I had parked in a different area than my partners.  Anyway, he was accosting me because I had questioned his abilities during the game, and he didn't like it.  No, he wasn't a manager or coach.  Rather, he was the game's official scorekeeper.

The situation was that a kid had gotten hurt on defense, and the manager put in a sub to replace him.  This was back when tournament MPR was three defensive outs OR one at-bat, and at the time the sub went in, there was one out in the inning.  Well, in the next half-inning, the injured kid was put back in to bat.  As a league official required to prevent protests from happening, I called Time and informed the manager that the injured player could not re-enter until his sub met the three defensive outs requirement.

The manager insisted that his sub did play three outs on defense, and we went back to talk with the scorekeeper.  The fine gentleman checked his book, and said the sub went into the game at the beginning of the previous half-inning.  Well, I knew that was not true, because the injury and substitution happened in the inning, not during warm-ups.  The question was whether there were no outs or one out when that substitution took place.  The scorekeeper did not indicate in his book when the sub entered that inning, much less how many outs there were at the time.

Since we had no way to verify (as was common practice back then in our district, I didn't keep a scorecard), the injured kid was allowed to hit.  When the inning ended, I went back to the scorekeeper and informed him he was responsible to know exactly when a player enters the game.  I wasn't mean or anything, but he obviously took exception to my calling him out.  I thought for sure he was going to do something stupid when he followed me to the car.

May 25, 2007
    10. Jan 9, 2012 2:05 PM (in response to beowulf37)

By no means did I admit fault. I felt there was the possibility that I may have misread the situation so I suspended myself. My feeling was instead of creating tension where none was needed, I took myself out of the equation. I did not make it harder on any other umpire.

Michael S. Taylor

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points