Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1648 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2012 6:09 AM by dsak64 RSS
dsak64 Rookie 4 posts since
Jan 4, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 12, 2012 6:59 AM

The Dreaded first 10 minutes.... does it get easier?

I'm a fairly new runner.... only about 6 months.  I did the C25K program on the treadmill, and then re-did it for outside running.  I ran my first 5K in early December, and have my 2nd scheduled for this Saturday.

Anyway, even though running is getting a little easier for me and I am slowly trying to increase my distance, I still notice that the first 10 minutes of every run seems hard.  While I want to be out there, I still feel like quitting each run within that first 5-10 minutes.  My breathing is harder... I feel like I'm struggling... and I feel tired.  But.... once I hit a certain point.... it all of a sudden gets easier and I know I can keep going.

Does anyone else feel like this?  And for those with more experience... does it get easier, or.... are the first 5-10 minutes always hard until your breathing gets into a rhythm and your stride becomes more natural?

• silentstrider Amateur 31 posts since
    Jan 11, 2012
    1. Jan 12, 2012 7:41 AM (in response to dsak64)

Hi Dsak64,

Running does get easier as you do it more.  What kind of running are you doing? Long runs, speed work, ect.. cause that really makes a difference in the type of pace you shoud set.  If you are doing a long run for you, and you are struggling early, I would back of my pace a bit, to where its comfortable to you.  They say that when you are doing long runs, you should hold a pace in which you can carry on a conversation without trouble.  The other thing to is to make sure that you do a good amount of streches to warm the muscles up before your run.  This will lessen the amount of time that your muscles are trying to adapt to running and will lessen the likelyhood of injuries.  Hope this helps, good luck

Nick

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 57:02 4/10/11

Chicago Run for the Zoo 10k 1:06:51 6/05/11

Chicago Half Marathon 2:33:49 9/11/11

Chicago Hot Chocolate 15k 1:34:20 11/05/11

Chicago Polar Dash 1/2 Marathon 2:21:11 (PR) 1/21/12

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 48:48 (PR) 3/25/12

• ydiez Pro 113 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    2. Jan 12, 2012 9:35 AM (in response to dsak64)

One thing that helped me quite a lot was to take it easy in most of my runs. I used to go running three days a week and always try to give my best. Now I go more often (five days) but I generally keep a lower pace, this way I am pumping my mileage up and my legs are getting stronger and, whenever I decide to give my best, I do very well and also feel much better during the effort and afterwards.

Concerning the starting minutes, I would strongly advise to spend the first 10 minutes just jogging really easy and stretching, give time to your legs to notice they have to prepare for running. I have recently discovered dynamic strectches just before my run and after a 5-10 minute easy jog gets me ready to run even my toughest runs. I do not have a really good reference on dynamic stretching, but this one might help you get the general idea: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_stretchinghttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_stretching

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

I like half marathons! Nine completed so far and on PB shape. One to go!. Then it's marathon time.

• lifl2003 Pro 129 posts since
    Sep 30, 2008
    3. Jan 12, 2012 9:38 AM (in response to dsak64)

Yes. It does get easier however I always find my first mile to be the toughest as I body adapts to the run.

Mike

"I can't means I won't"

My Blog - http://http://runningonli.blogspot.com/

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    4. Jan 12, 2012 10:34 AM (in response to dsak64)

Try just walking for five minutes, then jogging slowly for five, then slip into your usual easy pace.  For some of us warm up takes a while, especially if we'e been sitting still for a long time.  I find it harder to warm up quickly on the treadmill, so I always do a 1/4 mile walk first.  Outdoors I usually just do a slow jog for 1/2 mile or so. 

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    5. Jan 12, 2012 4:23 PM (in response to GinnyinPA)

You are not alone.  My first mile is alwasy the hardest - on the road or the TM. I always walk for 5 minutes or so, and then I just try to go nice and slow for that first running mile and then pick up the pace. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...