Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

295583 Views 323 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2012 1:26 PM by NzAndy RSS 1 2 3 ... 22 Previous Next
edensacres Pro 197 posts since
Jun 19, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 9, 2012 11:18 AM

Taking the leap- Training for Spring 1/2 or full?

So who out there is taking leap and training for their first 1/2 or full marathon this spring?  I thought it could be fun to have a thread for those of us taking this step together- even if we are doing different plans- the new distances will probably bring similar questions and some entertaining moments to share. 

I am strongly leaning towards doing the Flying Pig (Cincinnati, OH) 1/2 on May 6th.  My official 12 week training would begin after I do a 10K on 2/5/12.  Each long run is now a new record for me, and speed is not my concern.  Staying healthy, breaking physical and mental barriors and that damn medal would be my primary goals.  I was planning on doing the HH novice training plan but I kind of like the free beginner plan on Marathon Training Academy: http://marathontrainingacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/Beginner%20Half%20Marathon%20Training%20Plan.pdf     because it does not have me running back to back days, it has a few easy weeks and a taper (which I might need) - but who knows.

What about you?  What race are you looking to- how are you going to train?

Stephanie

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    1. Jan 9, 2012 1:30 PM (in response to edensacres)

I'm planning a half in March in Chambersburg, PA.  I'm mostly using a plan from Runners World Smartcoach - four days a week now, increasing to five days six weeks before the race.  I've been adding an extra mile here and there to my short runs, as I've been told I need more weekly mileage.  The plan gets me to 30 mpw, with the longest runs at 13.

• silentstrider Amateur 31 posts since
    Jan 11, 2012
    3. Jan 11, 2012 12:09 PM (in response to edensacres)

Good Luck to Ginny and Eden.  I only started running a little over a year ago and I will be running my 2nd Half on Sat, looking to beat my PR (which happens to be my only one, lol),  I have kept my mileage up since my 1st half, but during that training, I added mileage every other week for the long runs and did speed work on the weeks in between.  The longest run up to the half for me was 10m with two other runs that week of 6 and 8 respectively.  I think I trainned for that for 8 weeks.   

Nick

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 57:02 4/10/11

Chicago Run for the Zoo 10k 1:06:51 6/05/11

Chicago Half Marathon 2:33:49 9/11/11

Chicago Hot Chocolate 15k 1:34:20 11/05/11

Chicago Polar Dash 1/2 Marathon 2:21:11 (PR) 1/21/12

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 48:48 (PR) 3/25/12

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4. Jan 11, 2012 1:11 PM (in response to edensacres)

Stephanie, this thread is a great idea! It was such a boost to have this community when I came to weeks 5 and 6 during C25k. I was just wondering last night how I'm going to make the leap to 6 mi. and then to 12 when I struggle so hard running 3-4. Sharing experiences should be a huge help. 

Ginny, glad to hear from you. If you are running four times a week, does that mean your weekly mileage is around 14? Sounds like you will only need to double that to get to your goal.

Silentstrider, thanks for sharing. It looks like you were able to go from 10k to a half in only three months? That sounds like a huge leap. I guess the speed work made a big difference. What exactly did you do? How often were you running when you were trying to increase?

I started training last week for the Flying Pig (HM) with local running store (Fleet Feet) and I am hating it. I was running 4 - 5.5 mi. and like to run without walking or with infrequent walk breaks and am a slow-poke. My pace is 14 mm during training, 15 mm on long runs and 13 mm during races. First, their slowest running group is training at 11-12 mm so I tried to drop into a run/walk group, even though I don't want to do that. There was a 3:1 fast but they blew past me within minutes and the "coaches" didn't even try to check on me. Fortunately, I had been running in the area so didn't get lost but if I hadn't ??? Tried running in the 3:1 slow group and the pace was ok but the folks were competitive. I am there to have fun. I dropped back and ran alone because I got tired of watching folks try to inch past me. Our first mile was a 15 mm pace and when I broke away at mile three they were running 11 mm and this was supposed to be a long slow run. On top of that the coaches are training for FMs so they leave the HM runners half way through to find our way back.

I may be able to do better alone.  The benefits I see to be had from group running is the companionship and, because you want to run together, motivation to keep up on those days when you feel like slacking. The frustration of switching to run/walk along with having to pace myself to others and losing control over when and where I run seems to be sapping my running high. There's also learning different techniques, which though I've read about I still don't understand.  Also I could just be cranky because I'm tired. I wasn't running for six weeks in Oct/Nov. due to injury and had just started running again in Dec. Was running 2x/wk until two weeks ago and am now up to 4x. Also I am a little scared that I won't be able to push far enough and am having congestion and breathing problems. If it's not one thing, it's another.

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• Cheryldlc Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 16, 2011
    5. Jan 11, 2012 2:52 PM (in response to edensacres)

hey stephanie! a thread right in line with my current goal: Fit by Forty. i'm training for my first half (only my 2nd race)- the inaugural Pasadena Rock n Roll Half on 2/19/12.  I've only run a 5K before in Sept '11, after picking up running as a hobby during a June '11 department get-fit pedometer competition.  i went from walking/jogging 1 mile to regular 3 mile runs in the mornings before work.  i'm on the 12 wk training schedule from runnersworld and have honestly fallen off my weekly maintenance.  I'm up to 9 miles on my long runs but with tremendous pain (perhaps not enough mid-week runs?)-- my left ileo-tibial (?? i think) band was so painful for 3 miles!!  maybe it was the new orthotics?

btw, i run for distance, not time. i'm doing this to get fit, and hopefully stay fit going into my 40s ( a couple away anyway).  my concern now is the proper diet. it's so time consuming to count calories, even with these phone apps! i generally eat healthy but probably too much red meat. any suggestions on meal plans? i'm 5'4", 124-128 # depending on day of the week (and how many of my 3 kids/husband is on my last nerve!).  good luck to all you first half-ers!! (and what's C25K anyways??)

• Rennmaus Pro 61 posts since
    Jun 28, 2011
    6. Jan 11, 2012 4:19 PM (in response to edensacres)

Hi Stephanie,

sounds like you are my twin :-) I started running again in April of last year (I was running many years ago for about a year or so and ran several 5ks) and ran a 6k trail race in December. My next race most likely will be a 10k on 2/5/12. My goal for this year is my first Half Marathon. :-)  I am not quite sure when, I want to run the Half Marathon in Big Sur, CA in November for sure, but am also thinking of running a Half Marathon in Ojai, CA in June. This would mean I should start a training plan in March. Just like you I am not concerned about speed. I am trying to improve my long runs, right now my record is running 7 miles nonstop. Still 6 miles away from a half marathon! I am not sure which plan to choose, I do not have the opportunity to cross train (such as swimming or biking). But I am excited about running a half marathon!

Britta

Britta

XTERRA Crystal Cove Trail Run 6k - 52:33.5

Redondo Beach Superbowl Run 10k - 01:05:49

Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay 11/18/2012

Jan 11, 2012
    7. Jan 11, 2012 4:43 PM (in response to mkayc)

Hi mkayc,

The first run i did was an 8k, so I had quite a bit of time to prep on that one.  The stench wasn't far from the 8k to 10k.  The for the 10k to half, I ran 3 times a week for three months, w/ a 2 week break due to injury.  On long run weeks I started with 2, 4 and 6 (coincidently the 6 is almost equivalent to 10k).  I woul add anywhere from .25-1 mile depending on how I felt that week.  The speed work really helped.  Those weeks I would take one day sets of hill runs.  I got a .10m hill with a 7% incline, and would do sets, :30 sec faster than my half pace, the other days were Fartlek runs of 1 mile and 2 miles at 1 min faster than race pace and 2 min light jog.  The biggest trick though is to run at what is a slow pace for you.  I am no means fast, but my pace on a 5k is 2:30 faster than my half pace.  You can do it, just work up the distance forget about the time.  On those long runs, let your mind wander, and think about things that make you happy, that's how I get through them.  Good luck,

Nick

Nick

Jan 11, 2012
    8. Jan 11, 2012 4:55 PM (in response to Cheryldlc)

Hi Cheryl,

C25k= couch to 5k.  Most new runners (including myself) use this training program to get ready for their first 5k.

Nick

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    9. Jan 11, 2012 7:22 PM (in response to mkayc)

Mkayc -

I'm running about 22 miles a week now.  My short runs are 4-6 and my long one is 10+.  I'm hoping to get up to 30 miles a week before the race.  My issue isn't so much distance, since I've had little problem increasing my long runs, as that the course for the race I want to do is very hilly and I'm not that good on hills.  Worse, we're heading to Florida soon for a long break, and I really won't get to do hills there. 

Rennmaus - won't Ojai be hot in June?  I'd love to run Big Sur, but talk about hills!  Still, it's beautiful there.

• pennymt Expert 47 posts since
    May 8, 2011
    10. Jan 12, 2012 7:29 AM (in response to edensacres)

Hi everyone!  Also training for my first half on feb 5. Started with 5K and  three 10K races later,  I'm hooked to running.   My longest run so far has been 10 miles.   Will try for 11 miles this Sunday. Is it better to start a 3-week taper?  Or  try to run 13.1 miles on Jan 22, then start a 2-week taper? Is a 2-week taper too short for recovery for a novice half-marathoner?  Any advice will be appreciated.  Safe running!

• ydiez Pro 122 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    11. Jan 12, 2012 9:45 AM (in response to edensacres)

I have enjoyed running for many many years and use to go once or twice a week without paying too much attention to what time I made. About one year ago someone gave me an sports watch as a present and I started getting more interested on the pace I could hold, the time I could run each distance in... Finally, I decided to train for my first half and I am almost there (again, February 5th).

I am following a 9 week half marathon training plan that has incidentally helped me improve my 5k and 10k too. At this moment my PB for 5k is 21 minutes and for 10k 42:45. Last sunday I run the half marathon distance in a training run for the first time in 1:48:15 . My goal is to run in less than 1:45 in February 5th. I am confident I can improve my PB and enjoy running almost daily, I am also very happy that, for the first time I am managing to complete the plan injury-free (so far it is taking lots of patience and good advice).

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

• lifl2003 Pro 129 posts since
    Sep 30, 2008
    12. Jan 12, 2012 10:59 AM (in response to edensacres)

I will be running my fourth and fith halfs thsi srping and early summer.  I am training for what will be my first "full" in the fall!

I tried last year but ripped a glute muscle in the spring whihc derailed ny running for months!!   Good luck to you!

Mike

"I can't means I won't"

My Blog - http://http://runningonli.blogspot.com/

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    13. Jan 13, 2012 6:02 AM (in response to edensacres)

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for beginning this thread!  Congratulations on your progress, and I look forward to reading your posts.  Ein Gedi 10k!!!  Would love to run that one!

I'm 54, began running last January to get through the long Wisconsin winters.  Found out I love it, and participated in a half dozen 5ks and one 10k.  I'm training for my first half marathon in May.  It is a challenging couse with a huge elevation increase at miles 4-6.  I probably should have chosen a flatter course for my first HM, but it is in my family's favorite state park.  Beautiful scenery along Green Bay, closed course and a very well run event.

I'm using a  combination of Hal Higdon Novice HM and a SmartCoach plan from Runner's World --(BTW--Thank you GinnyinPA for suggesting the SC plan!)  What I like about the Smart Coach plan is the pace suggestions for each workout.  Currently, I'm running 18 miles 3x/week.  Long run is 9 miles.  On the plan, the long runs repeat for 3 weeks, then increase a mile.  I bike/pool run/xc ski for a low stress session one day a week.   So far, training has been going great.  I have continued to train outside since our winter weather has been great, but all  that changed yesterday with 5" of snow!  Will move my training to the indoor track on icy days.  Biggest fear is injury at my age!

Best wishes to everyone in their training!  Run strong, friends!

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    14. Jan 13, 2012 6:33 AM (in response to edensacres)

Count me in!  I'm training for my first half on April 22.  I started running Nov 2010 on the treadmill to replace the walking to/from work I was not able to do in the winter.  I did my first 5k in April of 2010 and have done 3 more plus a 10k since.  I ended up taking a break in Oct after my 10k for some extended family time and I really lost a lot of conditioning by doing that.  I'm just now feeling as good about my runs as I did in Sept before that 10k.

Currently I work out 6 days per week: my long runs are 7 miles, I run two other days per week, cross-train doing classes at the YMCA 2x/week + 1 day on the elliptical and doing weights.  I'm following the HH novice plan but have rearranged the days to better fit my schedule.

I run for distance, not time.  My long run pace is ~ 13mm, 'speed' days ~ 10 - 11 mm.

Debra (girlintheorchard), you and I are close geographically, I'll have to look up the Door County Half.  I've camped at Peninsula park and it is a very pretty area.

I am half planning/hoping to do a 15k in early Feb.  It will fit right in with my mileage.

This weekend I'll be doing my long run on the treadmill since we just got dumped on with snow and I can't trust all of my wonderful neighbors in this town to have their sidewalks cleared

Best of luck to all!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

1 2 3 ... 22 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...