Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3184 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 16, 2012 9:48 AM by mstadolnik RSS
mstadolnik Rookie 2 posts since
Jan 12, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 12, 2012 10:10 AM

Hard to find training schedules for sub 3 hour marathons

I'm a sub 3 hour marathon runner (2:52) and I've had hard time finding training schedules for sub 3 hour marathoners. I used one from Cool Running last year for Boston which worked well but that's the only one I could find. Looking to peak out aorund 100/wk. I've only done three marathons so far so I still have much to learn. I do one long run a week (25-34 miles) and "try" to get in 2 solid speed workouts, usually only end up with one though.

Does anyone know of any links or have a schedule that they made up and followed?

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011

Congratulations on your many successes.  I am so happy to hear about your longer workouts because this is what I have maintained for years that the distance has to be achieved and even over-compensated in training to prepare for the endurance of competition.  Honestly, you are probably your own best coach and can probably develop a routine better than the experts for your individual strenghts and goals.  The same advice does not work for everyone, as you know by now, but looking at different opinions and experimenting with various training options might be helpful.  For example, take a look at  http://www.sub3hour.com/

Thank you for sharing and best of luck!

• Lochbain Amateur 36 posts since
    Apr 23, 2011

I agree with Jasko123. You know you better then anyone else. Build your own training plan. Make sure you write in down then just follow it like any you wound online.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

I disagree with the more than your race plan but that is what makes it such a great race, look up the Hanson's training plans they are training Desi for the trails!  They have several good plans, I use a coach who writes my plans for all my Fulls and Half's.  I thing for sure is you learn from each cycle and race, Good Luck. 

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,271 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

If you're going to make your own, you might look at the book "Advanced Marathoning" by Pete Pfitzinger.  It has a lot of good training advice and sample plans at various peak mileages.  The plans could be easily adapted to your needs and training style.  There are also a number of online coaches if you're willing to pay to have a plan designed for you.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...