Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2232793 Views 11,399 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2014 9:50 AM by Kelly1066 Go to original post 1 ... 662 663 664 665 666 ... 760 Previous Next
  • deepeabee Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 13, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    9,945. Jan 13, 2012 2:53 PM (in response to Who922)
    200+ Pound Club!

Wow you have so inspired me! I will be starting in the morning so wish me luck!

• Jimmyangelino Pro 68 posts since
    Dec 27, 2010
    9,946. Jan 13, 2012 5:04 PM (in response to Who922)
    200+ Pound Club!

Who992 & NC Congrats! Great inspiration! Boot camp seemed easier yesterday.. still sore but begining to believe that I can go ahead and run and not die because of boot camp! Jyuukai, really great story- I'm glad you stuck it out! Everytime one us runs, even a little we all win! I'm feeling pretty confident that I can do the 10k this spring -- just have find a race and plunk the dough down. There is a lot of nutrition info on the internet-- most of it seems like baloney-- does anyone have any reliable  sources to investigate?

Fat Jim heading towards Slim Jim

Started C25K 12/28/10---- finished 2/23/11!!

River Rat Marathon & Bike 5k 4/23/11 46 min.

17th Annual Beer and Bagel 4 mile off road 11/06/11 61 minutes

• NCHulk Legend 247 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    9,947. Jan 14, 2012 1:15 PM (in response to Jimmyangelino)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

I went out for my long run this morning.  OMG! nor sure what the promblem was, although I think it was the cold.  I am a wuss.  It was about 30 degrees with a little wind.  I thought no problem, I'll warm up.  Never warmed up.  Wind coming right at me.  It sucked!!!   I did 5 miles and stopped.  My nose is still running.  Dissappointed,  I wanted more but I'll make it up.

You Guys keep it up!

Have Fun!

Arthur

Arthur

"It does not get easier... you get stronger"

"Once I decided quitting wasn't an option, the rest was easy." - Michele

HARD WORK - DEDICATION!!!

• ItsLinda Pro 60 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    9,948. Jan 14, 2012 8:09 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey Wideguy,

My daughter "won" a guest host spot on surviving the world last year with a little thing called "things we learned from fairy tales"  too funny!  Its nice to see other people have quirkey sense of humor.

• NCHulk Legend 247 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    9,949. Jan 16, 2012 4:34 AM (in response to ItsLinda)
    200+ Pound Club!

Alright, Sunday is my rest day. so it's time to get back out there!  Let's go!

Hard Work - Dedication!!!

Have Fun1

Arthur

Arthur

"It does not get easier... you get stronger"

"Once I decided quitting wasn't an option, the rest was easy." - Michele

HARD WORK - DEDICATION!!!

• VeganRican Expert 40 posts since
    Dec 4, 2011
    9,950. Jan 16, 2012 10:31 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey Guys! WOW! I can't believe I've missed 3 pages of posts! You guys are ROCKIN' it! I know you probably thought I disappeared, but NOTHING could be further from the truth, I'm on a MISSION!!!!

Guess What? Afte repeating week 1 for 3 weeks, Today I started Week 3 Day 1! I was SKEERED!!!!! but I did it, and I LOVED IT, and I've been flying high since this morning at 6am when I did it! Both, my 16yr old daughter and I are doing this together, so she was super excited that she managed to do it too. I guess it sounds funny, to you RUNNERS out there, but 3 minutes of running is NO JOKE when you're out of shape!!!

Speaking of Shape...I'm losing weight, but the BEST part of it all is that my SCIATICA pain that I suffered with for 7 months is GONE!!!!!!!! Imagine that! What the Chiropractor, Acu-Puncturist, Primary Doctor, Orthopedic Doctor, Aqua Therapy and Anti-Inflammatory Meds couldn't do (bring down my inflammation), a Highly Alkaline, Vegan diet did! I'm SO HAPPY!!!!!

And here's the bestest (I know, not a word) part: I'm a RUNNER!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, a slow runner, but a runner nevertheless!

Hey, that reminds me, I have a question:

Right Now, I run at 4.5mph on the treadmill, and then walk at 3.5mph. Is that super slow??????? Also, once I'm done with the program on the treadmill, how far will I be able to run on asphalt? Will I have to start back at week 1?????

Hope you all have a GREAT Week!

• edensacres Pro 197 posts since
    Jun 19, 2010
    9,951. Jan 16, 2012 12:11 PM (in response to VeganRican)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey VeganRican- CONGRATULATIONS on the 3 minutes but even more importantly for feeling better and for being able to control what happens to your body!  I wish I could say I fondly recall my first 3 min. run, but there was nothing fond or fun about it.  Frankly, the 5 minute runs and that first monster run, were not any fun either.  But after each of those runs- aboutt an hour later- I felt so proud of myself, that its kept me going.  Sounds like you are getting the bug-     I would say don't worry about speed, focus on distance and the speed will come over time. But 4.5 on a treadmill is about 13:15 min/mile - which is nothing to be ashamed of!  As for the transfer to asphat- it is a little different, one thing that helped me make the transition was to put the treadmill on an incline of 2%.  Basically the idea is that the treadmill is propelling you (a bit), almost like running downhill-  so that incline equals things out.

Keep up the good work!

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

• Jyuukai Amateur 19 posts since
    Jan 11, 2012
    9,952. Jan 16, 2012 1:28 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Went out today and did W2D1 easily

Tried using the horse wraps on my ankles and they worked like a charm.  Plenty of dirt and some tears on the wraps but no bruising on my ankles!  Finally!

My partner wanted to go out with me today and so at the beginning of the run I admit I was rushing it a little, she is much faster than I am and I guess I wanted to catch up.  I caught myself a number of times landing hard on my heel and my shins started to burn.  Took a deep breath, slowed down, and concentrated on landing a little lighter/more foreward.  It took me a few intervals but I did eventualy get it right and when it clicked everything went alot easier!  After the last interval when the podcast said to stop I admit I kept going until the hill started to go up again.

I already can't wait for my Wednesday run!  I'm not even sore anymore like I was the first two days and I'm really starting to enjoy myself out there~

Dec 4, 2011
    9,955. Jan 17, 2012 10:18 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Edenacres and Wideguy, thanks so much for the encouragement! I think I am catching the "bug" because I can't wait for tomorrow's workout! Did you guys cross train when doing the c25k? I'm thinking of adding Zumba on tues/thurs, but I don't want to push it if I shouldn't.

Also, besides stretching after exercise, is there anything else you do to help you heal faster? Did any of you having aching knees when you first started? I find that my knees sort of want to hurt, in the first few minutes, but it goes away, and even after exercise, they don't hurt at all, but should I get a knee support brace or something?

Jyuukal, congrats on the w2d1! It's awesome isn't it?? Question: WHat are horse wraps? and what do they do for your ankles???

Have a great week!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 4, 2011
    9,957. Jan 17, 2012 11:53 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

wideguy THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No, Zumba wouldn't give my legs a break. It's an aerobic, dance workout that fuses Latin and International Rhythms...Bottom Line, It's probably too much for my legs. The Bike thing is a Great idea though, they have that at the Gym, so I'll do that. Now that I"m finally on week 3, I don't want to take any chances! I'll keep you all posted on how it goes tomorrow, w3d2...I'm SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for your quick response and Awesome support!

Dec 4, 2011
    9,958. Jan 17, 2012 11:55 AM (in response to VeganRican)
    200+ Pound Club!

BY THE WAY, WIdeguy, my famiy DOES have a history of Arthritis, and most of us are allergic to Wheat!!!! That's why I've recently switched to a Gluten Free diet. Most of the pain in my joints have disappeared since then, and the Knee thing is just stiffness at the beginning. I never have knee pain during or afterwards. Thanks!!

• jaitken0308 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 17, 2012
    9,959. Jan 17, 2012 11:56 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello!  New to the boards.

I, too, am a member of the 200+ club!  (300+ actually.)  I've really got to make a change.  Over the last several years, I've fluctuated from 250 pounds to 305 pounds.  And what usually happens, as does with many, is I'll lose 30 or so pounds, feel good about it, then gain it all back, plus some. 

At the beginning of October, I weighed 301.  I asked many at church to pray and hold me accountable, and at the end of October, I was 7 pounds lighter!  Great job, huh?  But somewhere between Nov 1 and Jan 9, I went from 294 to 310, nearly 311 - the largest I've ever been.

So last week, I started using Sparkpeople to track what I was eating, and I started the C25K plan, both of which I've done before.  I've even run a couple of 5Ks before.  I don't believe in "diets," I believe in making a lifestyle change.  So I've kept my calorie range within what Sparkpeople said to, and I completed week 1 of C25K, and I somehow dropped 10 pounds last week!  I'm thrilled about losing that much weight, but scared at the same time.  First, that's not a healthy, sustainable weight loss.  Second, it opened my eyes to how terrible my eating habits were before.

I'm hoping to lose a pound or two a week until I hit my goal - which I'm not sure exactly what that is yet.  And I'm planning to run several 5Ks in March/April.  Maybe I'll take it a step-up after that and go for longer runs.

With all that said, I'm posting here because I'm sure someone else out there can relate, and for accountability of course..

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...