Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

956 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2012 6:42 AM by BOSNPM RSS
BeccaBern Rookie 3 posts since
Feb 20, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 16, 2012 10:49 AM

Ouch! Back Pain!!

Hello All!

It seems like I am new, but I have been running for quite a while now. However, just found this AMAZING community of active people! How great!

I am a runner, and I get constant back pain. The pain doesn't happen when I'm running, but at night, when I'm trying to sleep, that's when the pain will conveniently appear! Any suggestions?!

Love the support!

-RB

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Jan 16, 2012 3:56 PM (in response to BeccaBern)
    Ouch! Back Pain!!

Hi BeccaBern,

Do you do back strengthening exercises?  That might help over time because runners really need endurance in that core area....especially if you have been increasing your miles out for an extended period.  Also, there are head, neck and leg pillows that really do help with spine alignment at night.  Try slightly elevating your legs and/or adding a cushion between your knees if you are going to rest on your side.  Also, consider a good sports chiropractor and scheduling regular massage therapy.  The only other suggestion is to add additional doses of Omega 3 (which has natural anti-inflamatory properties). 

If you provide a more specific definition of the type and location of the pain, there are many experts in the group that could offer more detailed suggestions. 

Wishing you all the best!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,333 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Jan 16, 2012 8:20 PM (in response to Jasko123)
    Ouch! Back Pain!!

I agree.  Exercises that strengthen the back muscles have pretty much eliminated back pains that I used to get.  I still overdue it around home sometimes, but even then the ache is much less.  Several that work for me are rows: standing, seated and bent-over; and lat pulldowns.  I have weight macines available but there should be free weight equivalents.

Len

Len

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Jan 17, 2012 6:42 AM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Ouch! Back Pain!!

Core and lower back exercises should help:  Super mans, planks, lots of stuff to do that you do not need any equipment.  Core and lower back are very important as we aged and/or mileage goes up it supports everything you do.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...