Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7149 Views 22 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2012 4:54 PM by thjoghild 1 2 Previous Next
emiss Pro 70 posts since
Feb 7, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 9, 2012 5:47 PM

So frustrated.

I know that running in and of itself isn't a weight loss program but still..... When I started running last February I was 30 lbs overweight and I was looking for a way to get fit, gain energy and not be so frustrated with my appearance anymore (I gained the weight with my two kids and it just stuck.  Before that I was always slender.)  What I found was that I love running.  I just love it.  I love the peace it gives me, the stamina, the sense of challenging myself, all of it.  I got rid of the scale and just ran.  I average between 15-20 miles a week (running five days a week 2m, 3m, 4m, 3m, 7m-ish) and I'm increasing mileage and doing speed work.  For a while I was feeling pretty good but the holidays came and the usual food/drinkfest happened.  Today in honor of the new year, I stepped on the scale (My Wii fit, the same one I used last year) and over the course of the year I lost....wait for it....two pounds.  I actually gained 7 in the past six months (the last time I weighed myself before now.)  Seeing a seven pound weight gain from the last time I logged in and hearing my Wii say, "That's overweight" just made me feel so defeated.  As it is I always feel like the fat runner people look at and think, "If that fat girl can do it, anyone can."  I know I should be proud of my accomplishments but honestly, I just want to cry.  The funny part is, more than wanting to lose a size or look better, I keep feeling like if I could drop the 30 lbs I'd be so much faster as a runner.  Being heavy makes me feel like a fraud as a runner - I was in a running store and when I told the person what I do for distance and what races I have coming up I could just feel the look of, "Okay, sure you're a runner."  I know some of it is my own insecurity, but some of it is real.

As for how to lose the weight, I know the formula - burn more calories than I take in.  But, somehow, in spite of everything I do, it just doesn't seem to be happening.

I just needed to vent.  

Completed Races:

3/19/11 Holy Grail 5K 36:20 (First 5K)

4/10/11 Wellness 5K 30:48

4/23/11 Stonyfield 5K 30:28

5/7/11 Dover 5K: 29:39

5/23/11 Get Fit in May 5K 29:44

5/29/11 Redhook 5K 29:32 (PR)

6/11/11 Market Square 10K 1:08:40 (First 10K)

8/18/11 Saunders 10K 1:07:35.49

9/5/11 St. Charles Childrens' Run: 29:54

9/10 Fox Point 5 Mile: 49:03

9/25 Holy Grail 5K: 32:33 (with bronchitis)

10/9 Great Island 5K 32:54.23 (still with bronchitis)

11/13 Seacoast 1/2 Marathon: 2:31:39 (1st 1/2 Marathon)

1/1/12 First Run 10K 1:4:45 (PR)

2012 Races:

2/19/12 Half at the Hamptons 2:28:18 PR

3/24/12 Holy Grail 5K 28:17 PR

4/21/12Whale of a 5K (first trail race) 30:24

3/30/12April Fools 4 Miler 36:39 (9:10mm)

6/12/12 Margaritas 5K 27:52 (9mm) PR

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Jan 10, 2012 5:23 AM (in response to emiss)
    So frustrated.

Your just need to stay positive and consistent.   One thing for sure as we age, you lose fitness faster than you gain it and add pounds faster than you lose them.  Good luck stay positive.

• erik-k Expert 36 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    2. Jan 10, 2012 9:13 AM (in response to emiss)
    So frustrated.

It's not easy, and your body will fight you. It seems like it should be simple physics, that burning a lot of calories running will result in weight loss but it doesn't seem to work out that way.

Only a small weight loss is disheartening. Try to take it as informative-- you've gotten in a lot better shape, but you might need some tweaks before the pounds start coming off. Not losing a lot of weight when running 15-20 miles a week isn't terribly unusual, unfortunately your body fights you, the cardio makes you more efficient at burning energy, and on top of that those runs tend to make a person hungry.

Don't know what you've been doing. But revisit your diet, and definitely mix in some weight-type training, or serious high-intensity intervals. When exercising a medium amount per week, High-Intensity Interval Training or Weight Training is more effective for weight loss than pure cardio, for most people.  Good news is that you're in good enough shape now thanks to all that cardio to really do some good additional HIIT workouts!

Keep trying, what you've done has been great for your health even if you haven't seen the results on the scale you want. Try changing your workout regimine just a bit.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/01/what-burns-more-calories-cardio-intervals-or-weight-training/

• 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    3. Jan 10, 2012 9:16 AM (in response to emiss)
    So frustrated.

Emiss as far as you feeling like a fraud as a runner, it couldn't be farther from the truth. Runners come in all sizes. I agree that losing the extra pounds will improve speed and endurance, ive learned to never judge a book by its cover. I'm over weight myself and always end up midpack or better. I've been beat by bigger, thinner, older and younger runners and vice versa. It doesn't make anyone a fraud, if your out there running you are a runner. That being said I do know what you mean about the weight not coming off. I am the same way. I ran ave of 30 to 35 miles per week this year and the weight did come off. I was feeling great until an injury has me running 3 miles every other day and the weight is pileing back on. I believe its not how much I'm eating as much as what I'm eating. I need to make better choices about the types of foods I put in my body. I was able to eat pretty much what I wanted before, not now. We are all made up different and some can get away with more than other of us. BOSNPM is right about the age thing too as well as injuries being more fregrent I'm learning at age 52.  Stay positive is key. We may have to work alittle harder to accomplish our goals then others sometimes but it makes us appreciate them even more.  My motto is Never give up.

• Marathonmom10 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 10, 2012
    4. Jan 10, 2012 9:17 AM (in response to emiss)
    So frustrated.

I'm reading your post as if it was my own.  I've been running for 9 years & can't lose weight either.  I'm like you, I lose 1-2# here & there & that's about it.  And, that's training for 1/2 marathons.  If I train for a full, my body holds onto my weight & stores it like it's not gonna get anymore fat fed to it.     I always gain weight training for full marathons.  

I finally started seeing a nutritionist that specializes in marathon/half marathon training & that seemed to help.  However, I only lost 6# that year.  To this day, I still see her but I still feel frustrated that the weight won't drop off , like so many other people I run with!  I had a baby in 2010 and I have 10# hanging around from my pregnancy.  I've been running since she was 6 months old & that 10#  has parked & made itself home in my body & won't leave.  I was feeling frustrated again in November, 2011 and FINALLY went to the dr. to have a physical & testing only to find my thyroid is out of wack.  This has happened since my pregnancy & would of NEVER known it.  I'm not a doctor, but it's something you might want to look into.   I'm hoping this finding & the proper med is the end of my weight issues & I too, can finally get the "fat runner" monkey off my back. 

In the meantime, don't get discouraged!  Just think In the time you've been running you have built muscle (which can result in a low weight loss since muscle weighs more than fat), you've lost inches off your body, increased your stamina and you have completed so many races & a half marathon...WOO HOO!!!  Keep putting one foot in front of the other.     

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    6. Jan 11, 2012 6:38 PM (in response to emiss)
    Re: So frustrated.

Good advice above.

I'll add my bit to say that the biggest change that's worked for me is EDUCATION.  Most of us have gotten through our lives eating thoughtlessly, following the conventional American diet that leans heavily on fats, starches,sugars and more sugars.  Most of these are sourced from industrial materials that may at one time have resembled something our grandparents would have recognised, but don't much anymore. 

Learn about eating more from the low end of the "food pyramid" and buy more of your family's food from around the edges of the store where the ingredients lists are shorter and more readable.  I'm by no means a food fanatic religious crazed vego zealot.  I'm just amazed at how disgusting some of the standard stuff gets to look when looked at a little more closely. 

Also, I've found I can eat a lot more, and cheaper, and still lose weight by bulking up an the veg side of the meal rather than the fat / meat and the dessert.

Good luck to you.  Keep faith in yourself.  You are absolutely a runner from head to toe and in your heart, too!

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

• nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    7. Jan 12, 2012 2:48 PM (in response to emiss)
    Re: So frustrated.

You're sure to find everyone has their own opinion on weight loss, just as my wife is always quick to remind me, metabolism and appetite, etc is different for everyone.

My situation is exactly as you started off your post - running is not a weight loss program for me.  Period.  If I want to lose weight I need to diet, no two ways about it.  The key for me was wanting to be a better runner, and knowing I would have to lose weight to do it.  I did, and it paid off.  My diet was pretty strict for most of the last 2-3 years.  Most, because as soon as I would lose sight of my goals or just lose any motivation to improve, the diet went out the window and the weight starts going back up.  I'm in that situation now, and have put on 12-14 pounds in a month, the whole while continuing to run.

• isewinsf Expert 48 posts since
    Aug 29, 2011
    8. Jan 15, 2012 11:11 AM (in response to emiss)
    So frustrated.

Running itself isn't going to get the weight lost. To lose weight the MOST IMPORTANT THING is to change the way you eat! I lost 35 pounds last year. I have 15-20 more to go (haven't decided which yet) and this is how I'm doing it:

1) Keep track of EVERY CALORIE I eat

2) Keep a healthy balance of carb/protein/fat - for me, this means 55/15/30 or there-abouts, but it's a personal thing

3) Excercise 6 days a week, switching from running 4 days a week to alternate exercise 2 days a week (yoga and upper body weights)

4) Always have a positive attitude

There are a lot of free online sites that can help you with calorie count, portion control, etc. I use Fitday.com, but I'm sure there are others. Calories, portion control, what you eat, when you eat, healthy fats, etc. all enter in to your weight loss. Find one that works for you, especially one that can help you determine portion size. We all overestimate how much we need to eat. Immediately use a smaller plate to eat from; it makes a big difference; at least for me it did.

I've managed to keep the 35 pounds off for 2 months, through the Holidays, which was a MAJOR milestone for me. I always gained weight during Christmas time, and even when I wasn't running, I got some good walks, hiking and kept Yoga up, so I was active and watched what I ate.

So, I really think watching what you eat is more important than anything, especially as we get older. I'm not a youngster, so my metabolism needs an extra kick in the pants. lol!

• superbuffbob Amateur 16 posts since
    Dec 21, 2011
    9. Jan 17, 2012 5:06 AM (in response to emiss)
    So frustrated.

Calories in is the biggest issue in losing weight , remember running burns about 110 calories a mile so that seven mile run you do wihich takes about an hour or so will burn as many calories as a bigmac & fries. Thats a hours hard slog for 5 to 10 mins of eating..

Choosing what to eat is the key, as other shave said, stay positive and tweak your food intake and you will lose those pounds.

Almost 50 years young - was about 340lbs, now about 180 lbs and just started running for the first time in 28 years

Started the c25k dec 2011 and will move onto b210k once I have completed it

First 5k booked for 18th March 2012 - Malaga Spain

First 10k booked for May 27th 2012 - London UK

Super Buff Bob

• NucleEd Amateur 10 posts since
    Oct 16, 2009
    10. Jan 17, 2012 6:13 AM (in response to emiss)
    So frustrated.

I certainly can't speak from a woman's point of view but I can speak from witnessing my wife's progress which motivated me.  No one has spoken about the buddy system here.  By counting calories (proper calories), exercise, and having a support group that holds each other accountable for what they eat, your goals can be accomplished.  My wife was part of a Prism wt loss program and she injected that diet and philosophy into our family routine.  The results have been significant and lasting.  We feel better about ourselves than we have felt in 20 years.  The entire group she was accountable to has also seen the healthy benefits of the program.  One thing they stress is achieving the right wt for you, not necessarily where you "want" to be. Hang in there, you can do it because you have the right attitude.

• RunBetter Amateur 31 posts since
    Jan 7, 2012
    11. Jan 18, 2012 8:31 PM (in response to emiss)
    So frustrated.

"Runner" is a noun, or a verb, it is NOT a title that must be earned. When you go out and run, and  you are at peace, with just you and the road, that mindset is what being a runner is all about, not what you look like, or what your stupid Wii says. Being a runner is a life style, if you are active, eat right, and are just generaly a happy person, THAT is a runner, and when you start calling yourself that, is up to no one but you. So just keep putting 1 foot in front of the other!

• raf66 Expert 49 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    12. Jan 19, 2012 7:00 AM (in response to emiss)
    So frustrated.

First, you're not a fraud for running and not looking like a Kenyan.  That's absurd.  If you run, you're a runner, regardless of whether you're thin as a rail or, well, not quite as thin as a rail. 

Second, I agree with what everyone else has already said about weight loss.  Running, by itself, typically will not net you the results you're looking for, especially given the fact that running regularly makes us hungrier and because we're hungrier we tend to increase our caloric intake.  Or we think it's ok to "treat" ourselves on a day we ran.  Dieting plus exercise is the way to go.

Some ideas about dieting that you probably already know:  don't eat late at night, keep fast food to a minimum, curtail the sweets, drink lots of water, etc.  I think the following old adage is also beneficial:  "at breakfast, eat like a king; at lunch eat like a prince; and at dinner, eat like a pauper."  What helped me achieve weight loss in the past is KEEP TRACK OF ALL THE CALORIES YOU EAT DURING THE DAY.  When we do that, we have a tendency to pay more attention to what we're eating.

Losing the weight you want to lose is imminently doable.  Good luck in your quest.

• gpb11 Amateur 156 posts since
    Feb 13, 2006
    13. Jan 20, 2012 5:23 AM (in response to emiss)
    So frustrated.

To echo rad66's point, even when running decent weekly mileage it is so incredibly easy to eat back all the calories burned in running if not more.  20 miles per week is erased by an extra daily bagel with peanut butter.  So easy to not even notice you're doing it.  The thing that works for me is also keeping track of everything I eat every day.  Without doing that, I backslide.

• clutchrunner Amateur 8 posts since
    May 9, 2011
    14. Jan 20, 2012 5:55 PM (in response to emiss)
    So frustrated.

There's nothing else encouraging that i can add.  The only thing that i wanted to address is this:  if you consider yourself a runner, then you're a runner.  Period.  Nothing bothers me more than a running snob.  Forget those bozos, eh?

Detroit Turkey Trot 10k 44:15

Shamrock 'N Roll 5k 21:04

Stoney Creek Half 1:43:29

Martian Marathon 3:41:45

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...