Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

295459 Views 323 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2012 1:26 PM by NzAndy RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 22 Previous Next
  • mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jan 13, 2012 11:14 AM (in response to silentstrider)
    Taking the leap- Training for Spring 1/2 or full?

Nick, thank you so much. it's the hill runs and fartlek that I didn't understand. I guess if I just get out and do them, I'll see what it's all about.

Ginny, you are up to 10 miles already? Amazing!!!! Nick's training ideas might help you prepare for Chambersburg. It sounds like you could go the distance today.

Pennymt, I have no idea; if it were me, I'd choose the one that made me feel better about the run. Good luck with your race!

Ydiez, you are a speed demon! I'm running 5k in 45 min. Sounds like you and Pennymt might be running the same race? Good luck!!!

Debra, I too have been trying to stay outdoors. We just got our first really cold weather and I may hit the gym. I'm having trouble breathing. I can't believe I struggled through all the heat and humidity looking forward to the cold and am now running away from it. 

Mike, we'll have to keep an eye on you. No more injuries!

OshCat, you are a beast with all that gym time. You'll be so ready. Wish I could fit that in my routine. Well, I wish I were fitting it in. Guess it's a goal.

Nagging cough and congestion just won't quit. Anyone know if running makes this worse or better? I wish it would get worse so I could get treatment. Instead it's just hanging there making me miserable when I exert myself. I worry about all the pressure on my heart.

Stay safe and warm!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• Rennmaus Pro 61 posts since
    Jun 28, 2011
    16. Jan 13, 2012 5:41 PM (in response to GinnyinPA)

Ginny,

yes, Ojai can be hot in June and definitely is hot in summer. But the half marathon will be running downhill towards the ocean so I am hoping it shouldn't be too hot. I will wait until it gets closer to June and then decide. It is the one in Big Sur which I absolutely would love to do. We will see how my plans work out! This weekend there is one here close by around where I live, along the ocean and I SOOOO would love to do it, but I am not ready for a half yet. I am at 7 miles right now, 6 more to go for a half marathon... oh well...;-)

Britta

XTERRA Crystal Cove Trail Run 6k - 52:33.5

Redondo Beach Superbowl Run 10k - 01:05:49

Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay 11/18/2012

Jun 28, 2011
    18. Jan 14, 2012 11:38 AM (in response to edensacres)

Stephanie,

I am hoping the hills aren't too bad. I checked out the elevation profile  and the maximum elevation gain is 80 feet. That is not bad I think, although it might be a different story in a distance of a half marathon! :-)  I am often trail running with bigger elevation gains, I just ran a trail race which had one big elevation gain of 800ft (of course I only ran a little bit of it and then walked the rest) and even in my neighborhood runs there are constantly hills (I love them!), so I am not too afraid. Maybe during summer I get a chance to drive up there and check out the route. To answer your question... I will mostly train for the hills by doing lots of trail running. :-)

Also, the Big Sur Half Marathon is taking place in Monterey and Pacific Grove and not in Big Sur itself... but I just looked it up, it seems the Big Sur INternational Marathon is directly in Big Sur, and therefor on the Highway Nr. 1 with all its hills and elevations :-)

Britta

Britta

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    19. Jan 14, 2012 7:07 PM (in response to OshCat)

Hi OshCat!  Here is the link to the DCHM   http://www.doorcountyhalfmarathon.com/  There is a video section that will take you through the course which begins and ends at Nicolet Bay.  I'm sure you'll recognize some park landmarks.  I ran the 5k last year after graduating C25K.  After that race I was hooked. 

You have an awesome training schedule!  WTG!!  Hope the snow doesn't keep you inside too long.

Due to the recent snow fall and the bike path not being plowed 100%, ran my long distance run of 9.23 miles at the indoor track.  33 laps to be exact!!  The track surrounds the Olympic Speed Skating track so there is always lots to watch -- speed/ice skaters, hockey games, speed training, race walkers and fellow runners.  It is cold, but comfortable inside and YEA! no wind.  It is a nice option when it is too dangerous to run outside, but I do prefer running outside on the bike paths and Rails to Trails.

Best wishes to anyone who raced this weekend!  Run strong, friends

• pennymt Expert 47 posts since
    May 8, 2011
    20. Jan 16, 2012 5:14 AM (in response to edensacres)

I survived my long run this Sunday morning of 11.8 miles.  After a 10-minute stretch, it was rest, ice, elevate, and a cup of hot chocolate.  Finally broke that mental barrier of not being able to do a half.  Now going to start my taper for my first feb 5 HM.  Now, if laundry, cleaning, and cooking chores can be done in a 3-hour cutoff or DNF status.  Seriously!

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    22. Jan 17, 2012 7:28 AM (in response to edensacres)

Stephanie~Good for you getting out and enjoying the beauty of winter running!  I also notice a tightness in my calves after wearing Yaktrax.  Particularly, when the snow is softer and not packed down.  I take a little longer to stretch out after and it does help.  How are you liking the HH 10k plan?  I used it for my first 10k, and I felt totally prepared. 

pennymt~WTG! on completing the 11.8 mile run!!!  The HM is yours!  Doesn't laundry/cleaning/cooking count as cross-training???

britta~800 ft. elevation gain -- You are my inspiration!  How do you train for hills like that?  My HM has a gain of 125 ft. at mile 4.  I ran it as part of a 6 mile run last summer.  It wiped me out!  I do have 8 month of training and mile under my belt since then, though.  I do get in hill repeats every other week, but wonder if it will be enough.

Mary Kay~Hope the nagging cough and congestion is beginning to fade.  Not that this suggestion will help you this year, but for years I seemed to get colds/strep throat/bronchitis on a rotating basis for the duration of the fall/winter/spring.  A RN suggested gargling with diluted antiseptic mouthwash 2x/day.  In 8 years, I have not had so much as a cold!  Worth a try.

Hope everyone has a great training week.  Run strong, friends!

Yesterday, enjoyed a beautiful, easy 4 miles on the bike trail.  Lots of folks enjoying the MLK holiday on a sunny, mid-30 degree day.  First run with the Yaktrax this season, and its already January!  Step back in mileage this week before I attempt my first 10 miles!  Today, stretching and stregthening work.

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009

I am training for my 2nd Half Marathon scheduled for 3-11-12

I did my first Half Marathon in Oct.,2010.

I chose this second race carefully, I think- it's on a canal towpath,off pavement, mostly crushed limestone surface I think and  very flat.- It's also  during a cool temp. part of the year( I expect temps maybe in the 50's)- I will be driving down from Ohio to do it in Roanoak Rapids- so it will be the start of spring for me.

I am 49 now and about 240# now- so I need a knee friendly surface and cool temps to go that distance. what I learned from my first race was that, for me I need a training program where my long run will not be over about 10 miles so
    I am pretty much doing a version of a Hal Higdon plan.

I think I really over trained the first time around  for the race in 2010 with long runs of over 12 milesand an improper taper

I am hoping for a time under about 2:35 or so.

a couple of important things i learned  during my first Half.

1)  my first Half was run in conjunction with a full marathon being run at the same time-
    I was simply astounded at how supportive and encouraging the full marathoners were towards the half marathoners- really and truly words can't express it.

2) not to get to zen on you  or anything- but the end of the half marathon may be a emotional or somewhat life changing experience for you- be prepared for it. At the very least you will likely be somewhat de-hydrated AND in a somewhat altered mental state.- what ever responsible adult is meeting you at the end of the race should be prepared for this and let you walk it off for an extended time. I was fairly zoned out at the end of the race and my wife figured I could just chug a gatorade and immediately snap out of it- but it takes some time to come back to the real world,LOL( by real world i mean one in which you can intereact with others and not spend ALL of your mental energy on simply putting one  foot in front of the other!!!)

Best wishes all,

stephen

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    24. Jan 17, 2012 8:49 AM (in response to edensacres)

@girlintheorchard - thanks for the link, it looks like a beautiful race!  I might be able to convince DH to go to that one.    I wish I had your indoor track to run on, the one at my Y is ~ 17 laps to the mile, talk about feeling like a hampster on the wheel LOL!  At least on the t-mill I can zone out watching tv.

I attempted an outdoor run this past Monday (holiday for me!) but it did not go well.  It amazes me how people around here can NOT shovel their sidewalks!  My goal was to repeat 7 miles one more time, but I ended up doing 4 and walking A LOT of it  .  Killed my calves in the first mile and got so frustrated with conditions that I decided to only run where the sidewalks were clear after that.  We are getting more snow today so it looks like next weekend will be inside again.

Good running, everyone!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

Jun 28, 2011

Debra (girlintheorchard),

of course I was not able to run an 800ft elevation :-) I walked most of it :-) But I go trail running a lot and I run hills every day in my neighborhood. I am hoping to improve both on trail running and my mileage in general.

Britta

Britta

• pennymt Expert 47 posts since
    May 8, 2011

Starting my 3-week taper for my first half.  Run an easy 5-k run this  morning. 

Stephanie and Debra - thanks for the encouragement.  Really appreciated it.  RE the laundry, really need to get it done soon

Stephen - thanks for the input regarding what to expect after the HM. 

For my long runs, I use  GU chomps and Gatorade without any GI problems so far.  But I have been reading some articles  online and from what I understand you are supposed to mix energy gels with just plain water and not energy drinks.  What's your take on this? 

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    27. Jan 19, 2012 7:53 AM (in response to pennymt)

Penney,

I would think if you have used gatorade and guchomps in combo on your long training runs without problems, then you should  be pretty confident to use them in combo on your Half marathon.

sounds like you are ready.

on my long runs I have used only gatorade when running outside. I have never used energy gels but I intend to experiment with them over the next month or so because in the past once I got above 9-10 miles on training runs I tended to start dragging the last few miles. Really,REALLY best wishes to you,

stephen

• Lonesome_Dove Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 31, 2011
    28. Jan 19, 2012 8:36 AM (in response to edensacres)

Great to see this topic on here and to compare notes with people! I'm working towards a 1/2 marathon at the end of March. I'm pretty much a beginner, I'd say. I ran a 10k in October and surprised myself by running the whole thing. Did a 4 mile run in December, and on my own I'm about a 2 1/2mile, 3x a week person. I am trying to stick to a training plan, but it's outpacing me and I'm finding myself getting tired quickly (I think I don't pace myself that well). My approach for now is to try to run 3 miles three days a week and 5 miles on one day until I feel like I can push further, and then just do as much of the 1/2 marathon as I can. I want to finish it, but if it has to be a combination of walking and running, that's okay with me.

Good luck in all your races!

• silentstrider Amateur 31 posts since
    Jan 11, 2012
    29. Jan 19, 2012 9:29 AM (in response to pennymt)

@Penny

It's ok to use GU w/ Gatoraide.  The GU needs a liquid to help facilitate the carbodehydrate absorbsion into the body faster.  I do find on the longer runs (10+ miles) I need something with more than carbs, so in addition to my cliff bar blox (pure carbs), I usually have half of a cliff bar, cut up, with me that can take a piece every mile or so after the first 90min of running

Nick

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 57:02 4/10/11

Chicago Run for the Zoo 10k 1:06:51 6/05/11

Chicago Half Marathon 2:33:49 9/11/11

Chicago Hot Chocolate 15k 1:34:20 11/05/11

Chicago Polar Dash 1/2 Marathon 2:21:11 (PR) 1/21/12

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 48:48 (PR) 3/25/12

1 2 3 4 ... 22 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...