Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2836 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2012 6:04 PM by Swebb0310 RSS
adogg1219 Rookie 6 posts since
Apr 6, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 18, 2012 8:33 AM

Just starting training and have a question

I'm doing a half-marathon in June.  I've never attempted one before.  I've only run 5ks competitively. 

I do exercise regularly - usually 6 days a week.  Most of my workouts are short.  I'm a huge fan of High Intensity Interval Training.  It's mostly strength training, some plyo and calisthenics.  I LOVE to work out!  But I don't want it to interfere with my training. 

I did a 5 mile run last night and skipped my regular workout this morning.  Is that the right thing to do?  I hate sacrificing my workouts and don't want to unless it's what I should be doing.  Thanks!

• DJ Scotch Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 18, 2012
    1. Jan 18, 2012 8:55 AM (in response to adogg1219)
    Re: Just starting training and have a question

Hi,

I am also running half marathon on May 6, 2012. I downloaded this app call "Learn to run" I am sure it is available for both iPhone and Android. This app will explain you how to train for Marathon. The training start with 30 minutes run+walk mix. you run for 3 min and walk for 3 min. do that for 30 min. This way you only allocate 30 mins on daily basis, As you progress the max time you have to allocate is 72 mintues. give or take allocate 80 mins. I think those are the days you don't have to do heavy workouts.

Marathon are more of an endurance training, you need a lot of energy and positive mind, I totally understand your frustration about skipping the regular weight workout but if you can allocate 30 min more towards your daily workout then I suggest do your marathon training before any regular workout. As you progress make sure you have enough energy to perform your marathon training, go light on weight workouts.

I hope this information helps.

Good luck with your training and Marathon.

Cheers!!

Abhijit

• danhouse1 Amateur 7 posts since
    Jan 16, 2012
    2. Jan 18, 2012 9:57 AM (in response to adogg1219)

If you are just trying it out, then what you are describing as high intensity interval training is okay, but I don't think it's the best training for the HM. If you get bit by the bug and want to get competitive, I believe your training needs to change. You'll need to train with more miles at a slower training pace. Many people extending there distances from 5k to HM do have problems going out to fast and then faultering later in the race. To be really good at the HM, I believe it's important to know your pace. And to do this you need to work from the other end-- more slow miles, build up a base, and then work over a 2-4 month period to quicken your pace. You're times will be better if your pace is steady, rather than having peaks and valleys in your splits. Short intervals are of less important. You'll find picking up your pace at 1600 m is probably going to be more suitable as speed training. Running a 1 mile hill is also a good way of building strength. You'll find your time will correlate with your BMI and weight and so it's important to understand lean muscle, rather than adding to mass. And so most distance runners spend more time on lunges with light weights or just body weight.

Dan

• DJ Scotch Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 18, 2012
    3. Jan 18, 2012 10:02 AM (in response to danhouse1)

I agree with Danhouse1,

Instead of interval go with a same pace and increase your pace, This app is designed exactly that way, you start with running 3 minutes and walk for 3 minutes, on 4th day you start running for 3 minutes and last 15 minutes you extend your running for 5 minutes. Day 8 you start with running for 5 minutes and 3 minutes walk and so on.

The key is constant speed less intervals.

• Pete Metcalf Amateur 22 posts since
    Oct 2, 2007
    4. Jan 18, 2012 10:13 AM (in response to adogg1219)
    Just starting training and have a question

You're doing fine.  You need to work "slowly" up to the distance and then worry about speed.  Do every other day rather than everyday.  Keep adding distance but not to worry about speed.  Even if you take walking a bit and then back at it....

You'll get to 1/2 marathon distance in a month...after that...start pushing speed and pace, back off to keep your breath. 

Next thing you'll know, you are doing 1/2s without stopping.  Once you get there, you're ready.

Racing is totally different and the feeling you need to go faster will kill you.  Do just what you were doing in the training and ignore those around you in the race.  You are running against yourself...not them.

Enjoy!

Pete

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    5. Jan 18, 2012 10:25 AM (in response to adogg1219)

There is no reason you can't do both strength training and race training.  Most running programs at the HM level have you run 4-5 days a week with either rest or cross training on the off days.  As long as you are allowing your legs to rest, then the other training shouldn't interfere. 

I am also doing my first half this year.  From the reading I've been doing, it seems that in order to prepare for a half, the most important thing is to build your weekly mileage - slowly but steadily - to a point where you are running 30 or more miles a week.  For a first timer, usually the goal is to finish the race, not win it, so speed isn't really all that important, though a lot of programs include one day a week of speed training (tempo runs or intervals).   Doing most of your runs slow and steady will build the endurance you need to run the distance without injury.  The program I'm following has two short easy days, one long slow day, and one short speed building day.  I've added mileage to one of my easy days so that it is more of a medium long easy day.  Over and over I've been reading that building mileage will help me get faster, and will build endurance and stamina. 

• Terranss Legend 268 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    6. Jan 18, 2012 12:30 PM (in response to adogg1219)

If you have the time for it, there shouldn't be a problem with you continuing to do your gym workout along with the running--same day workouts can be great, as long as you pay attention to your body.  The trick is to find a balance between your workout intensity and your running intensity.  If you run hard one day (intervals, tempos, or long runs), then make your next workout easy.  If your workout is really intense one day (plyo, heavy circuits, etc.), then make sure your next run is easy.  As an example, when I was doing the P90X program last year, I would just run easy mileage on the strength circuit days, but I would run long or fast on yoga/rest days.  Just make sure that you give yourself a complete day off once a week--you don't want to risk injury/overtraining. 

With your workout experience, I'm sure you can come to a compromise between your runs and gym workouts so that you can continue to do both.  Best of luck to you!

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    7. Jan 18, 2012 2:51 PM (in response to adogg1219)

Great advice from the others about the particulars of training and extending out your endurance through additional miles.  This is critical to completing the half.  I would recommend entering some other competitions prior to June and completing several events at the 8K or 10K level.  This should assist with preparation and motivation.  As you know, regular exercise (even at intense levels) is still different than race pace, so really consider finishing a strong list of other races before jumping from 5k directly to the half. 

Wishing you the best!

• Swebb0310 Amateur 21 posts since
    Apr 8, 2012
    8. Apr 8, 2012 6:04 PM (in response to adogg1219)

That is good advice. I am training for a half marathon and I found a great training plan by Jeff Galloway on the Disney half marathon site. It starts with Tuesday/Thursday run/walks of 45 min, with the goal to increase distance per 45 minutes. Then there's the Saturday long run which starts at 4 miles for the first week and builds to 12 or 13. The advice about keeping an even pace is really strong advice. On the off days you can definitely do your strength training.

http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/rundisney/run-disney-training-consultant/index?page=disneys-princess-half-marathon

That's the link to Jeff galloways training plans. Good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...