Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

297623 Views 323 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2012 1:26 PM by NzAndy Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 22 Previous Next
  • BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Jan 19, 2012 11:32 AM (in response to pennymt)
    Taking the leap- Training for Spring 1/2 or full?

@Penny:  GU with Gatorade most but not all think that is to much sugar at one time and is best done with water.  I do for my marathons a sports drink/Gatorade and one stop and water and GU at the other.  Best advice is do what you have trained with, with that being stated a race is still different than a training run.  I have never had stomach issues in a training run but have in several races.  This should not be a big issue with 1/2's.

• Rennmaus Pro 61 posts since
    Jun 28, 2011

Lonesome dove, let me know how it goes! I like your relaxed attitude about it. I am hoping for a 1/2 Marathon in June or in November the latest. Today I was a bit frustrated.... I went for my long run at the beach and ran much more than I usually do. My last personal record was 7 miles... well, somehow I thought I should have been around 8 miles today, but when I later calculated it on the internet, it only was 7.6 miles. Although I know this is good (last year in April I even couldn't run for a minute!), I feel frustrated as I just see I want to be able to run 13miles for the half marathon. I guess I have to be patient.... and just push myself more and more ;-)

Britta

XTERRA Crystal Cove Trail Run 6k - 52:33.5

Redondo Beach Superbowl Run 10k - 01:05:49

Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay 11/18/2012

• pennymt Expert 47 posts since
    May 8, 2011
    32. Jan 20, 2012 7:05 AM (in response to BOSNPM)

Thanks Stephen, silentstrider, & BOSNPM for clearing that issue with GU & Gatorade.

I  hope I don't overeat and make an excuse of not running entirely with my taper.  Right now, I am so scared of catching a cold or flu  almost 2 weeks before race day.  Am I just paranoid that I feel a small twitch in my leg and think it's a sprain.   Thought tapering was the easiest part of training for the HM, it's a balancing act of having the extra time, itching to run a little  bit more, or just having that nagging feeling you have not trained enough.   Run safe everyone!

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    33. Jan 21, 2012 7:35 AM (in response to pennymt)
    Re: Taking the leap- Training for Spring 1/2 or full?

pennymt~Tell us about the schedule for your 3 week taper. How many days are you running?  What mileage? Any cross training days during the 3 weeks to take the focus off the running?  Aren't those little voices annoying when they creep in to our head right before a race. How dare they!  You have done the work and run the miles.  You are ready for this!!!

Single digits, wind and big snow here in the upper Great Lakes so ran an easy 4 miles at the indoor track.  They were prepping for an indoor marathon. Can you imagine, that's 100 times around the track!!!!!  I think I'll stop by on Sunday to watch a few laps and cheer on the runners.  Used my Brooks 'pureflow' shoes for the third time at the track, and I am loving them.  Very responsive, nice fore-foot cushioning and they weigh less than my regular trainers.  Looking forward to using them for speedwork in another week.

Best wishes to anyone who is racing this weekend.  Run strong, friends!

• silentstrider Amateur 31 posts since
    Jan 11, 2012
    34. Jan 21, 2012 6:33 PM (in response to pennymt)

Penny, you will do great.  My nerves still get rattle before every race.  But it's such a great feeling when its over

I ran my rescheduled half marathon today.  It was not a great day for it.  Temps in the teens, snowing and alot of the course had not bee properly plowed.  We ran on a bike path, not a lot of room especially with there being a turnaround and runners coming back the other way, but I guess it could have been worse.  I ran well, I started off a little hard and kept up with the 2:15:00 pace setter for 9 miles.  About mile 10 I hit the wall, which was suprising, I usually hit it about mile 12, but I did PR and beat my last 1/2 PR by 13 mins.  Very happy about that.  I hope everyone had a great runninng weekend.

Nick

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 57:02 4/10/11

Chicago Run for the Zoo 10k 1:06:51 6/05/11

Chicago Half Marathon 2:33:49 9/11/11

Chicago Hot Chocolate 15k 1:34:20 11/05/11

Chicago Polar Dash 1/2 Marathon 2:21:11 (PR) 1/21/12

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 48:48 (PR) 3/25/12

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011

Silentstrider -  Congratulations on your PR.  Trying to race in a crowded narrow corridor wouldn't be fun.  How many people were running?

May 8, 2011

Thanks debra and silent strider for the encouragement!   Good job on you run silent strider despite the unfavorable circumstances. 

After my last long run of 11.8 miles, I took a 3-day recovery rest and run 5k by Thursday.  Resistance  training with light weights the next day.  Rest day. Then off run 10k.  By next week , I want to squeeze in a swim or bike session by Monday if work or weather permits.  Then 5k runs twice a week for the next 2 weeks.  Then 7k on Sunday 6 days before race day.  I hope my taper schedule is enough for my half on feb 5.  Still kind of anxious of catching a cold or some kind of virus.  I caught a bad cold which then turned to a nasty sore throat and cough a week before a 10k race last year.

Just got word that on race day, event organizers are  not providing  Gatorade  but Powerade which my stomach does not agree with.  I feel bloated and it makes be burp all the time.  So, I am planning to have my hydration belt on hand filled with Gatorade.    Safe run everyone!

Jan 11, 2012
    37. Jan 22, 2012 9:55 AM (in response to GinnyinPA)

Hi Ginny,

There were about 1400 runners on the course, needsless to say it was croweded on a two lane bike path, lol.  Recovering now, did a number on my quads and calfs, hope to be up and running again in a few days.  Hope everyone's haveing a great weekend,

Nick

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Congratulations on your PR, Nick! sounds like you run well under pressure. Those conditions sounded awful. I hate being crowded.

I'm sidelined AGAIN this time for chest congestion. My runs had been getting harder and shorter with my BP rising too quickly so I went and got antibiotics. Losing this week and blowing more running goals is not feeling good. I worked out and ran a little but not enough. Can't wait to stop feeling poorly.

Good runs all!

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010

Congratulations on a great HM run today!  WTG on the PR, too!  You sure were running in less than ideal conditions.  Winter races have their own set of challenges, don't they?  I'm running a 10k next week that has  a similar type course, but a much smaller field.  Hope you and your muscles enjoy a well-deserved rest.

Mary Kay~Hope the antibiotics do the trick to knock that "bug" out of you, once and for all.  Feel better soon!

Yesterday, got in a nice, easy 3 miles outside on the Interurban bike path.  It was 6 degrees, but sunny and no wind!  I'll take that over 85 degrees and humidity any day!

Have a great week everyone!

Jan 11, 2012

Thanks Debra,

After seeing that you doing almost 10 mile long runs, you are more than read for that 10k.  Is it your first one?

Mary Kay, I too hope that you are feeling better soon.  I think I might have gotten a small tear on one of my tendons on the bottom of my right foot.  Hope to see the doctor tomorrow, cause the pain on the foot is harsh.  I am staying positive though but hope it doesn't sideline me for long, got another race in march.  Hope everyone has a great week and positive runs.

Nick

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009

congrats on your run. I hate being crowded like that especially since it becomes hard to focus with so much nearby chitchat.

hope everybody had good long weekend runs.

i had a good one yesterday. I have been experimenting with what I eat pre-run. I usually eat a bowl of hot ,whole multigrain cereal with raisins and a bananna at 6:00AM or so.

indoor track facility doesn't open untill 9:00  on sundays--------- so I had an extra orange at 8:00. It was by far the easiest I have run that distance indoors on that track.

Stephen

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    42. Jan 24, 2012 3:19 PM (in response to edensacres)

Silentstrider - I hope your foot issue resolves itself.  Did you ice it?

Debra - that's a long taper.  The plan I'm following only has a one week taper, and that's still doing 23 miles in the last week (including the race) instead of the 30 of the previous week. 

Marykay - I hope your congestion goes away soon.  I've been lucky so far this winter, but we don't spend a lot of time around children.

My HM plans may be changing.  I really wanted to do the local race in early March.  My husband really wants to head south and do some camping, hiking, bird watching etc. in Georgia and Florida.  We were supposed to leave right after Christmas, but a family member has been hospitalized with a recurrence of Leukemia and it looks like she won't make it.  She's in hospice now and it is a matter of days, probably.  Our travel plans have been on hold for the past month.  Assuming we leave in early Feb., it is really unlikely that I'll be able to do my race.  Even if we are back in time, after a month of erratic and flat running,  I doubt I'll be able to do the hills.  OTOH, it's possible I'll be able to find a way to run more often than I expect.  So I may do the race.  Since I haven't signed up for it yet, I won't lose anything b y not running -- except that I was really looking forward to it. 

Then I heard about a HM a couple of hours from here, in Allentown.  It's a very different kind of race - big (4000 runners), with live bands, etc.  It's at the end of April.  This way I have one sure race and one possible one to look forward to.  Since they are very different (400 runners v. 4000, rural roads v. city park, etc.) even if I do both, they will both be fun, I think.  The disadvantage of Allentown is we'll have to find a pet friendly motel or campground, but I think it will be okay. 

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    43. Jan 24, 2012 3:53 PM (in response to GinnyinPA)

Just finished 60 nonstop min. YAY! Only 3.71 mi. But it's a start. I may be baaaaccckkk!  Btw, I'd be happy to host someone who wants to run the Flying Pig but needs to be frugal. Just saying.

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

May 8, 2011
    44. Jan 25, 2012 4:40 AM (in response to mkayc)

Silent strider - hope the foot is much improved.

Mary Kay - great job!

Right now, I'm nursing a bruised left 2nd toe after my nephew accidentally stepped on my left foot.  The swelling has subsided but still black and blue and a bit painful.  Been icing and elevating much of the time. No fracture though.   I'm quite worried that this may affect my running on race day on feb 5.  Tough luck, so concerned that I may get a cold (taking max dose of vitamin C, washing hands so often, sleeping early, covering up).  Then, I get stepped on.  Didn't see this coming.

Safe running everyone.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 22 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...