Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5926 Views 26 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2012 6:50 PM by emiss RSS 1 2 Previous Next
hentze1z Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 19, 2012 6:32 PM

why do you run?

just interested on why people run?

• NucleEd Amateur 10 posts since
    Oct 16, 2009
    1. Jan 20, 2012 5:19 AM (in response to hentze1z)
    why do you run?

I was in Kuwait in 03 and Hussein was shooting scuds at us.  I tried to run to a bunker and couldn't breathe.  I made my mind up that I would not die because I was out of shape.  Also, I have a friend in a wheelchair and I think about how much he would just like to walk normally.  I don't want to squander my God given health.

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    2. Jan 20, 2012 6:16 AM (in response to hentze1z)
    why do you run?

I love the feeling of my body in motion.  I especially love the sensation of my bare feet on the ground.  For me the time spent running is special with quiet, focused attention.  I think it's important for me to have time away from phone, computer, media, work and even family.  It's moving meditation time for me.

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

• Kekibird Amateur 8 posts since
    Feb 17, 2011
    3. Jan 20, 2012 8:38 AM (in response to hentze1z)
    why do you run?

I run because I was always told and then began to believe that I couldn't. Grew up with asthma and lots of health/breathing issues and was kept inactive due to all my allergies and illnesses.

Now I'm determined to prove that even with a rough start in life, you can still achieve anything you set out to do!

I'm doing it for me, for my inner child and for my son to see what you can do it you believe in yourself.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    4. Jan 20, 2012 3:02 PM (in response to hentze1z)
    why do you run?

I run for sanity, health, mental strength and the hope of increased grace,

I run for charity, special events and a wish to increase my pace.

I run for those disadvantaged who cannot join in the race.

I run to inspire others, any maybe, put a smile on a child's face.

• 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    5. Jan 20, 2012 3:41 PM (in response to hentze1z)
    Re: why do you run?

I started running 12 years ago to lose weight and control my diabetes but now I continue  to run because of so many other reasons now. I take so much pride in the fact I ran a couple marathons because the heart doctors said I couldn't. I ran a marathon in memory of my late father and mother in law that had me in tears at the finish line. I run because of all the great people I've met and friends I've made. I run because so much good has come into my life because of it. It is so much more than exercise, it is a way of life. It makes me feel like I'm part of something special. I thank God for the gift and to be able to call my self a runner.

• Urbster Legend 760 posts since
    May 27, 2008
    6. Jan 20, 2012 8:17 PM (in response to hentze1z)

I began running because a guy I was interested in ran and I thought that would be a cool thing in common to chat about.  I got addicted to running.  Ran  3 years.  Then my life changed.  I was in a major accident, told by doctors I would no get any better, lost most my vision, brain damage all kinda of crazy stuff no one should ever go through but as soon as I could walk; I walked, as soon as I could run; I ran.   I have defied all the odds (and docs).  When I ran there were times I  felt my life coming back and my vision.  I am still not 100% yet but I know running brought me back to my normal cool self and it still is. 

• wildfreightess Amateur 23 posts since
    Jun 6, 2006
    7. Jan 21, 2012 10:06 AM (in response to hentze1z)
    why do you run?

I run because I grew up thinking that running was only for super-fit, elite people and I could never be one.

I run to stay healthy.

I run because it makes me feel alive and invincible.

I run to relieve stress.

I run to spend time with myself and my music.

I run for the endorphins.

I run to keep my weight down and diabetes at bay.

I run for those who can't.

I run so I can exchange the "runner's nod" from passing runners.

I run because so many other people hate running and think I'm a freak.

Without running, I would be a depressed, heavyset, chain-smoking, alcoholic slob, because that's what I was before I discovered running.

That's why I run!!

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    8. Jan 21, 2012 11:35 AM (in response to wildfreightess)
    why do you run?

Do not be so hard on yourself wildfreightess.  I would certainly fit into some of the categories you describe, but challenges disrupt every runner and our response is truly what defines character.  In my humble opinion, you deserve a great deal of credit for overcoming more instense obstacles through running.  I have failed many times at managing my worst habits, but every step and each mile represents a small victory.  Also, remember that pursuing running and entering races signifies a special blessing for those of us who had to endure other disruptions to cross the finish line. 

Keep the faith!

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    9. Jan 22, 2012 3:26 PM (in response to hentze1z)
    why do you run?

I run to maintain a 50 pound weight loss.

I run because I love the way I feel after  a good run

I run because it gives me a chance to challenge myself

I run because I love the community of runners (both online and in person) of which I have become a part

I run because I was always told I wasn't very athletic - turns out I just hadn't discovered my inner athlete or figured out what my sport was

I run because I can.

I hope to run for a very long time.

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    10. Jan 22, 2012 6:09 PM (in response to hentze1z)

I've been an internally motivated morning runner since 1983, and hope to be running for many more years.

• I like to start the day doing something constructive and healthy for myself.
    • I like the feeling of the breeze in my hair in the early morning as the sun rises and the day begins. 
    • I find it to be the ultimate stress relief, even better than working out in the gym.
    • Running is precious "me time", when I am responsible to nobody but myself. It's the only time of day when I'm not Mom, wife, employee or colleague. I can either put my mind in neutral, or focus, as I wish.
    • I race to challenge myself against the clock (and add a little external motivation).

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• RunBetter Amateur 31 posts since
    Jan 7, 2012
    11. Jan 22, 2012 6:16 PM (in response to hentze1z)
    why do you run?

I run because running is pure. Running can be simplifyed to: what you put in = what you get out. That is what I love about running, it really is a no frills sport....that....and I couldn't aim with a ball if my life depended on it

• jjwaverly_42 Pro 388 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Jan 22, 2012 9:03 PM (in response to RunBetter)
    why do you run?

to express my competitive nature +to have fun+to feel young+to realize potential= to feel alive

--Jimmy

• nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    13. Jan 23, 2012 6:50 PM (in response to hentze1z)
    why do you run?

More than one reason.

1. It turned out to be the best treatment for my chronic lower back pain, discovered purely by accident.  I made a pledge to myself a little over four years ago I was going to change the cycle of pain in my back, or kill myself trying.  Running has kept me alive.

2. Competitive running seems to be something I do well.  For a clutz without any other real athletic ability, it's cool to be able to excel at something athletic.

3.  A few years back, I decided wanted to see what my mid 40 year old body could still do.  I think I found out and am satisfied enough with the results to move on.

4.  I find its good to be goal oriented, and even if I can't control some of the other things in my life (like work) with satisfying goals, I can always set a running goal and go for it.  Not sure this is a good thing-often wonder if I'm just taking the easy way out since while it isn't easy to reach them, I know chances are I'll succeed.

5.  I really think it keeps me sane at this point in my life.

6.  It gets me out of the house and around other people, which I tend not to usually like to do.  So, breaks down my otherwise anti-social tendencies.

7.  I have alot of experience with it and do like to share advice.  I believe I have helped some other people and that is a nice feeling.

• nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    14. Jan 23, 2012 6:55 PM (in response to Urbster)
    why do you run?

@Urbster - good for you.  I tend to agree it is often best to ignore doctors.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points