Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2860 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2012 3:52 AM by MattyIM
MattyIM Rookie 3 posts since
Jan 18, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 18, 2012 10:16 PM

From a layoff - starting back!

It's been about a year since I was running regularly 3 times a week chalking up 40+ kms total. Had knee surgery and general pathetic laziness saw me couch it since then. had my first run last weekend and thought I could just go out a smash a 10km run. Wow!! what a wake up call. Found I was stuffed and struggling to keep a good rythm. Will do my next run tonight a little more conservative. anyone got any clues about helping me run a bit more smooth. Matty

• DaveReyne Amateur 31 posts since
    Sep 19, 2008
    1. Jan 19, 2012 1:39 AM (in response to MattyIM)
    From a layoff - starting back!

Matty, same thing sort of happened to me. I have always enjoyed running with beat paced music from run2rhythm.I found it particularly coming off a  long time off running. Have a look at

www.run2r.com If you're able to get into the rhythm running with this music you will finds it helps much. try the music by Szondy and Vincent.

Good luck. Dave

• raf66 Expert 49 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    2. Jan 19, 2012 6:26 AM (in response to MattyIM)
    Re: From a layoff - starting back!

I had a simiilar situation a few years ago. In about '07, tore the miniscus in my right knee.  Had surgery and took some time off.  In '08, tore the miniscus in my left knee.  Had surgery and took some more time off.  After those injuries I literally did not run (I biked some but not much) for a few years, save for an occasional 2-3 mile run every 6 months or so.

Started back to regular running in the spring of '11 and was amazed/dissappointed at how difficult it was.  I mean, come on, I had run regularly for 6 + years priior to my knee injuries!  Surely I hadn't lost everything!  Well, I had, sort of.  I started slowly for a few weeks.  I mean SLOWLY.  Two repetitions of alternating between running 3/4 of a mile and walking 3/4 of a mile.  Did that CONSISTENTLY 6 times per week for a few weeks (gradually increasing the distance of running and decreasing the distance of walking) to make sure my knees (and the rest of me) could handle it.  Low and behold everything came back within 2-3 months of consistent running and gradual increases in distance and speed.  Thankfully it came back much faster than it took me to develop it in the first place. 

Slowly work your way back into it and I'll bet you'll surprise yourself at how quickly you get it back.  But don't overdo it or you risk another injury.

Good luck.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    3. Jan 19, 2012 2:21 PM (in response to MattyIM)

Just be patient with yourself Matty.  Sometimes the visions of the mind go a lot further than our bodies are prepared to actually take us.  I know it is difficult to gradually work back into a regular rountine when you feel like doing more, but try to implement moderate running to avoid any further injuries (that would interfer with your goals again).  Also, do not think of yourself as lazy because surgery is highly stressful physcially and emotionally.  If you took additional recovery time, you probably needed it, so do not be too hard on yourself for that or in your efforts for this rebound stage.  You should be proud of yourself for new dedication focused on overcoming challenges.  Consider a walk/jog/run strategy to re-discover your pace and rhythm...it will naturally come back over time.

Wishing you every strength!

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    4. Jan 21, 2012 7:01 AM (in response to Jasko123)

Jasko, I deeply sympathize.  I was in a similar run funk, only mine lasted 24 years! 

I second the recommendations for you to be gentle and a bit cautious in your ramp up.  Stats say that even healthy runners injure themselves at the rate of 50 to 75% a year.  Starting out injured makes you more susceptible to getting hurt unless you're careful.  Enjoy the process and gentle does it!

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...