Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

735 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2012 2:45 PM by nyla100 RSS
debshappyfeet Rookie 3 posts since
Jan 6, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 22, 2012 10:27 AM

What to eat before race?

I am SO excited about my first 5k on Sat 1/28/12 (also my birthday)

I am wondering what should I eat for dinner Friday night?

Also should I have a light breakfast that morning or not? Race starts at 8:30, it will take about 45 min to drive there. Any suggestions?

• silentstrider Amateur 31 posts since
    Jan 11, 2012
    1. Jan 22, 2012 10:44 AM (in response to debshappyfeet)
    What to eat before race?

Hi Deb,

Depending on what distances I am running for the race, dictates how many days I will "Carb up"  on a 5k you should be ok with just a day or two of extra complex carbs that your body can store for race day. Most people do pasta but really any complex carb will work.  On the morning of the race, I will eat a bowl of Quinoa oatmeal (lots of carbs) and some fruit usually a banana or such.  Good luck on your 5k

Nick

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 57:02 4/10/11

Chicago Run for the Zoo 10k 1:06:51 6/05/11

Chicago Half Marathon 2:33:49 9/11/11

Chicago Hot Chocolate 15k 1:34:20 11/05/11

Chicago Polar Dash 1/2 Marathon 2:21:11 (PR) 1/21/12

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 48:48 (PR) 3/25/12

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Jan 22, 2012 11:14 AM (in response to debshappyfeet)
    What to eat before race?

I always try to combine three different food groups (usually a lean meat or fish with vegtables and pasta or a baked potato).  There are a lot of options, but basically just avoid greasy or spicy foods and anything with a high-fat content the evening before the race.  I know the spaghetti dinners are still popular, but they can be too heavy for some.  I have performed better with lighter versions of lasagna recipes that use ground turkey, chicken or eggplant along with low-fat cottage cheese and reduced fat mozzarella.  (Turkey pepperoni is another option for lasagna layers with a mild marinara sauce). 

The morning of the race, try to eat as early as possible and again choose a small mixture of items (if possible) that are high carb, low fat, low fiber and moderate protein.  (So, getting breakfast in about 2 hours prior to start time). 

Hope this helps and wishing you the best of luck! 

P.S....let me know if you are interested in any alternative recipes...I am happy to share them!

• nyla100 Expert 59 posts since
    Jul 23, 2009
    3. Jan 22, 2012 2:45 PM (in response to debshappyfeet)
    What to eat before race?

Hi Deb. Have you had any morning training runs up to this point? While you've gotten good suggestions above, it's also usually good not to try anything new on race day. For instance, on shorter runs early in the morning, I do better not eating beforehand. However, that changes when I do longer distances. But the key is to discover what works best for you. Just as you don't want to experiment with new shoes or gear race day, you should also be careful about foods and energy aids to help minimize the chance of an upset stomach, etc.

If you do decide to eat something the day of, I'd suggest keeping it light as both silentstrider and jasko123 have mentioned. Oatmeal with fruit, carbs with almond butter, etc.are some good options.

Congrats on training for your first run! Best of luck and happy early birthday!

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

Steve Prefontaine

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points