Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7081 Views 22 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2012 4:54 PM by thjoghild RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • PatriciaDawn Amateur 24 posts since
    Mar 8, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jan 21, 2012 6:48 PM (in response to emiss)
    So frustrated.

I find it helpful to log my food, water, and exercise every day.  You are a runner because you run.  Hang in there and enjoy yourself.  Patricia

• thjoghild Rookie 4 posts since
    Nov 22, 2011
    16. Jan 21, 2012 8:56 PM (in response to emiss)
    So frustrated.

emiss I  TOTALLY understand what you mean.  I started running in October, I run almost every day and have participated in as many events as I can sign up for.   I've noticed small improvements in my time, but my weight hasn't really changed much, and my endurance level is just awful.  I did my first run when I was 40, and I know it'll take a while to build up that endurance at my age, but I get frustrated too.  I've always been overweight but still pretty fit.  One issues that slows me down is pain in my hip, and I'm not sure if it's a muscle or the joint itself.  I often wonder if the real runners at these events look at me and wonder what the hell I'm doing there.  I guess I'll just keep at it and hope my endurance gets better.

• Eidothea Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    17. Jan 22, 2012 4:17 PM (in response to emiss)
    So frustrated.

I know exactly how you feel about running.  I'm new & slower than molasses & struggle w/ not comparing myself to others.  Still working on that.

As far as weight loss, I totally agree w/ the others who stated that you need to keep track of all your calories in order to lose weight.  I've been told that weight loss is 80% what you eat & 20% exercise.  You may be shocked by the amount of calories you consume.  I know I was.  I'd also strongly suggest you measure your food.  It's very easy to underestimate what you're eating.  This is the only way I've ever been able to lose weight.  If you're interested, check out the SparkPeople website.  They have absolutely everything you need to help your weight loss - trackers for exercise & nutrition, free exercise videos, message boards, articles, etc. - & it's free. They also have an app so you can keep track on the go. 

Hope this helps.  Good luck w/ your weight loss & running.

• WMKH Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    18. Jan 22, 2012 8:57 PM (in response to emiss)
    So frustrated.

Ditto my story...my first goal was just to increase health and set to run 1/2 marathon.  Logged over 700 miles and lost only 10 pounds.  Then last January due to an injury I took a few sessions with a personal trainer.  #1 for exercise is to add 2-3 days of weight training and include intervals & hills for better burn on runs.  But the trainer absolutely said 'You can't lose weight unless you know what you are putting into your body.'  I always thought I ate pretty good - lean meats, veggies, fruits but I seriously underestimated portion size when I started measuring I found I ate probably about twice as many calories as I thought.  Kept running/training for 1/2s...dropped about 30 pounds in 6 months.  Weight training will help you burn more calories overall (use more energy to repair and maintain muscle) and help your running.  In a year I went from barely finishing hills to taking 27 minutes off my 1/2 time on a course with over 600 ft of climbs.

Now I worry more about how to maintain and fuel properly to keep my metabolism up- will train for my first full this year and know from not following a proper program last year that you can easily 'bonk' = overtrain or not fuel enough.  I personally use the My Fitness Pal site- it is free.  Also just read, read, read...active.com articles are great and runners sites all address food tips, etc.

Good luck- if you should join MFP- feel free to look me up and add as a friend.  user- what923

• Runner-sgt Amateur 15 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    19. Jan 25, 2012 10:09 AM (in response to emiss)
    So frustrated.

In agreeance with most (if not all) of the above comments, you are a runner. Don't allow anyone to take that title you have earned through hard work and persistence. While running will burn calories and fat, it will also add muscle mass. Simply put, the more you run, the more muscle your body will need to build to keep up with the energy demand you are placing on it. Going from sedentary to 10K you will lose some weight, but you will also gain muscle mass. In runners, this muscle gain isnt usually noticeable the way it is in people who do resistance training or bodybuilding. It isnt sculpted or muscular. It's simply more muscle added to your legs (calves, thighs). So, this may have something to do with your lack of weight loss.

Adding speed work, and just variety in general, to your current running routine will help build and sculpt muscle as well as remove fat deposits from the areas that running won't/hasn't done for you. I personally do not lose anymore weight by continuing my running routine. When I want/need to lose a few pounds I add in a variety of other exercises to my usual runs. Swimming, cycling, track sprints, plyo, circuits, and programs like insanity, or p90X can work really well to add the weight loss factor.

Running alone isn't a weight loss factor, it's a lifestyle. A runner doesnt have to "look like a runner", just run like one. Remember that!

Hope this helps,

Anthony

Anthony D.

2006 Valley of Flowers Half Marathon Lompoc, CA: 1:35:15

2007 Inaugural Pismo Beach Half Marathon: 1:31:27

2007 Valley of Gold Half Marathon Tuscon, AZ: 1:40:08

2007 Valley of Flowers Half Marathon Lompoc, CA: 1:28:40

2007 Surf City USA Half Marathon Huntington Beach, CA: 1:31:31

2008 Pier to Peak Run Santa Barbara, CA

2008 Rock-n-Roll San Diego Marathon: 4:03:18

2008 Inaugural Rock-n-Roll San Antonio Marathon: 4:21:45

2009 Guam Ko'Ko Road Race Half Marathon: 1:29:37

2009 Guam PIC Half Marathon: 1:27:53

2010 Guam Ko'Ko' Road Race: 1:32:17

2010 Guam Marathon: 3:36:09

2010 Guam Perimeter Run 50K: 6:08

2011 Guam Two Lovers Point Half Marathon: 1:27:12

2011 XTERRA Guam Off-Road Triathlon Finisher

2011 Guam Summer Sprint Triathlon Series Finisher

2011 Rock-n-Roll San Antonio Marathon: 4:16:06

...and coming this year!!!

2012: "Highest Marathon in the America" Madison Marathon, Montana (July 2012); Air Force Marathon Wright-Pat AFB, OH (Sept 2012); Le Grizz 50K Glacier National Park Montana (Oct 2012); Dirty Dash Billings/Missoula Montana (June/Sept 2012)

"Run til' you cant anymore, then run some more..."

Nov 22, 2011
    20. Jan 25, 2012 6:03 PM (in response to Runner-sgt)
    So frustrated.

Yes, it is helpful Anthony.  I like what you said about running is a lifestlye.  I find that I can't get enough.  Even if I have just finished running and am on my way to work, I'll see someone running and think "Dammit, I wish I was running right now!"  I wasn't exactly sedentary before, I was doing weight training before and am not much for siting around, but I quit doing weight training when I started running.  I've decided to start adding in weight training again, so I'll run in the morning and add in some weight training, etc, in the evening.  At any rate, I'm loving this new activity, and don't plan on stopping.  I already have 7 races scheduled between now and the end of March, and at the end of February I'm doing the Tower Climb and Run where I get to run a mile and then do a vertical mile up the Tower of Americas in San Antonio.  Sounds like so much fun! 

Thanks for the input Anthony...I appreciate your words.

Karen

• Runner-sgt Amateur 15 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    21. Jan 27, 2012 4:40 PM (in response to thjoghild)
    So frustrated.

Really? I am originally from San Antonio and have never heard of the Tower climb...wish I had though, sounds like a blast! Maybe I'll make a trip back home to do one next year? Well, enjoy it and keep running! I've been running for nearly 9 years now and don't intend to ever stop. I can't imagine not running...I feel so down after just a couple of weeks without it. I just did the Rock n Roll SA Marathon in Nov, did you do take part in that one? Its a great course!

Anthony D.

2006 Valley of Flowers Half Marathon Lompoc, CA: 1:35:15

2007 Inaugural Pismo Beach Half Marathon: 1:31:27

2007 Valley of Gold Half Marathon Tuscon, AZ: 1:40:08

2007 Valley of Flowers Half Marathon Lompoc, CA: 1:28:40

2007 Surf City USA Half Marathon Huntington Beach, CA: 1:31:31

2008 Pier to Peak Run Santa Barbara, CA

2008 Rock-n-Roll San Diego Marathon: 4:03:18

2008 Inaugural Rock-n-Roll San Antonio Marathon: 4:21:45

2009 Guam Ko'Ko Road Race Half Marathon: 1:29:37

2009 Guam PIC Half Marathon: 1:27:53

2010 Guam Ko'Ko' Road Race: 1:32:17

2010 Guam Marathon: 3:36:09

2010 Guam Perimeter Run 50K: 6:08

2011 Guam Two Lovers Point Half Marathon: 1:27:12

2011 XTERRA Guam Off-Road Triathlon Finisher

2011 Guam Summer Sprint Triathlon Series Finisher

2011 Rock-n-Roll San Antonio Marathon: 4:16:06

...and coming this year!!!

2012: "Highest Marathon in the America" Madison Marathon, Montana (July 2012); Air Force Marathon Wright-Pat AFB, OH (Sept 2012); Le Grizz 50K Glacier National Park Montana (Oct 2012); Dirty Dash Billings/Missoula Montana (June/Sept 2012)

"Run til' you cant anymore, then run some more..."

Nov 22, 2011
    22. Jan 27, 2012 4:54 PM (in response to Runner-sgt)
    So frustrated.

Here is the link to the Tower Climb, it benefits the Cystic Fbirosis Foundation.

http://www.cff.org/Chapters/lonestar/index.cfm?id=19567&event=19567

Since I'm a nurse, and I do hospice, I try to do races that benefit a worthy cause.  Oh hell, who am I kidding?  I do it for the hell of it!  But helping a worthy cause is nice too :-) 

I haven't done any type of marathon yet, I just started doing 5Ks in October but my first goal is going to be a half marathon, then I'll move on to the full.  Tomorrow I'm doing the First Annual (lol...that term always makes me chuckle) Celtic Crawl 5K tomorrow morning and I actually talked 3 on my friends into running with me.  It's going to be a blast!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...