Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1106 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2012 2:15 PM by AJJ5
Larryphoto Rookie 4 posts since
Nov 4, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 23, 2012 1:03 PM

Need advice on strength training

I've been running for about 6 months now and just finished my second 5K.  I'm now working on the 10K!

Since I started running, I have pretty much abandoned any other workout routines and I want to get back into that.  My question is about WHEN I should be mixing in the workouts.

I generally run on Mon, Wed and Fri.  Am I better off doing the weight training on the same days (so that I have a day of true rest in between) or should I be doing the weight training on the non-running days?  Just a little confused on how much to push/rest the body.  Don't want my 42 year old body breaking down on me....

I'd appreciate any thoughts!

Larry

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Jan 23, 2012 1:22 PM (in response to Larryphoto)

Hi Larry,

It sounds like Tuesdays and Thursdays might work for your cross-training days and then you would still have a scheduled rest day over the weekend.  It really depends on your schedule, and what works best for your personal conditioning, so if you prefer to take a break during the week, then just add a weight-lifting day on Saturday or Sunday.

Best of luck on your 10k training and if you have the opportunity to get in some additional 5ks or 8k races in advance of the 10k, that might be of assistance to better prepare. 

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    3. Jan 23, 2012 2:33 PM (in response to Larryphoto)

Others may have different advice Larry, and I think it is certainly okay to do other cross-training on running days, depending on your personal fitness level, time constraints and so on.  I was just encouraging a regular, daily balance of activity that might best meet your needs and training goals based on the Mon. Wed. Friday routine that you mentioned.  I do something every day, but it is important to listen to your body in terms of rest periods. 

The only other thing I can think of is your distance training, so maybe choose one of your three running days to work on that.  If you are racing on a Saturday, I would say push out the miles on the Wednesday prior, for example.  (Tuesday would be better for a Saturday race and Wednesday for a Sunday event), but again the level of intensity depends on your individual circumstances and expectations. 

Hope this helps to clarify and best wishes!

• AJJ5 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 28, 2012
    4. Feb 28, 2012 2:15 PM (in response to Larryphoto)

I would try cross training, possibly with a trainer? I have done this a few times and they really have some good advice to help you stay healthy and in top shape. Acceleration North is currently doing an adult fitness program and you can get 5 sessions with a trainer for $29 total on living social. Cross training is very important to build on strength and this could really help (ive done it).   http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/226/deals/262784-five-adult-ax-fitness-boot-camp-classes

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points