Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

620 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 23, 2012 7:30 PM by Julia66
Kymberleeg Rookie 5 posts since
Jan 7, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 8, 2012 11:06 AM

Cycling and running and how to fit everything into a week

I recently decided to sign up to run a 5K obstacle course.  (it is called the Warrior Dash if anyone is interested).  I have signed up for a Boot Camp to focus on the strength portion of the race, and I am doing the Couch to 5K program.  My plan is to do Boot Camp on M/W and run on T/Th.  I am not a runner so the past few days have been a little tough on the body.  Nothing earth shattering...just sore muscles and some fatigue.  Anyway, back to my original question.  I was suppose to go on a group ride this morning (easy 20/25 mile spin), and I bagged because my body was just not feeling it.  I'm wondering if I should have just gone and worked through the fatigue or if I did the right thing to use today as a recovery?  My second question is if y'all think that once I get use to the running program if cycling on Sundays would be a good addition to my routine.  I worked on my cycling a lot last year so I don't want to ignore my bike, but I don't know how I can fit it all into a week.  :-) 

For what its worth, I am not a beginning cyclist and usually ride at least a couple of times a week.  Certainly not hard core but enough that I am comfortable on a bike.  :-) 

• Dobrobuck Pro 151 posts since
    Apr 17, 2011

I use cycling as part of my cross training weather permitting. I think it fits really well with running and helps to keep me loose between runs and uses some different muscles. You might check out a Hal Higdon 5K training program which incorporates all the things your doing including the cycling, weight lifting, ect. I've found since I started running first that the cycling was fairly easy as far as endurance goes. You might find just the opposite since you cycled first, you will get past the soreness and endurance will get better (less fatigue) in no time. Give yourself a chance to adjust and remember rest is as important as part of the training. We're all guilty of going at training too hard sometimes and running is a time involved process. Training programs can be adjusted to fit your needs and some days are better than others just as some races are better than others. Good luck in your 5K and dont give up the cycling its fun and a valuable part of our training. Just as a side note it is also always best to have a  physical before we start our adventures...

4/30/11 IL Marathon 10K 57:43

5/14/11 Kirby Derby 10K 57:49 3rd place in div

7/4/11 Freedom 5K 28:59

Lost 80lbs since 6/17/10 starting wt 280lbs

Joined Second Wind Running Club 9/2011

8/27/11 13.38mi 2:32

9/17/11 13.45mi 2:27

Habitat for Humanity 5K 12/31/11 26:42 PR

4/28/12 IL Marathon 1st 1/2 2:10:38

Cycled 1600 mi summer of 2012

Cycled Hilly Hundred 10/25/12

Upcoming races

April 2013 1st full marathon..

• Julia66 Pro 75 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010

If you enjoy it and have the energy, go for the bike rides. Cycling is great cross-training. Sometimes I think an occasional 20-30-mile bike ride helps me run faster. As Dobrobuck said, it uses different muscles. When I go riding for the first time in many weeks, I find my legs don't feel as strong as I think they should. After all, I've been using them running several days a week, right? Not quite the same way.

FYI, I did a triathlon training course in 2009 before I was a runner. When I started I couldn't run more than a mile without stopping. The six days per week workouts (run, bike, swim and strength) really got me into shape and I was able to complete a sprint triathlon at the end of the 10-week training. 

Completed 2013:

Guadalupe River Run 10K April 2013 (1:01:36) PR!!

Completed 2012:

Turkey Trot 5K Nov 2012

RSS Fun Run 10K May 2012 (1:03:17)

Mermaid Run 10K May 2012 (1:09:37)

Completed 2011:

Turkey Trot 10K Nov 2011 (1:05:20)

Firefly 5K Oct 2011 (49:14) - with DH and DS at son's pace

Rock 'n' Roll Half Oct 2011 (2:32:12)

Run for the Sun 5K Aug 2011 (30:17) PR!!

Coyote Hills 3.5 mi Jan 2011 (38:47)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points