Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1099 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2012 11:42 AM by jmsab23 RSS
Jolene Duckie Rookie 2 posts since
Feb 19, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 24, 2012 6:01 PM

odd sensation in fingers ? ? ?

Several times when I have been running, after the first 15 minutes or so, I start to get a strange feeling in my fingers.  It feels like they are swelling or that the skin is getting tight.  The fingers don't exactly go numb, but is sort of a dull throbbing sort of sensation.  Visually, nothing appears out of the ordinary.  It just feels odd.  I don't tend to clench my fingers while I run.  In fact, several times I have dropped my water bottle because I just lost focus and let go of it.

Has anyone else experienced something like this?  If so, what was the explaination?  Should I be concerned, make adjustments to my running style/posture, or just ignore it?

• Runner-sgt Amateur 15 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    1. Jan 24, 2012 6:22 PM (in response to Jolene Duckie)

It all depends. Have you ever had health issues such as high blood pressure/pre-hypertension? Are you just beginning a routine or have you been running/exercising regularly for a while? Is it only in your fingers or up your arm? I am a running coach and have found that sometimes health issues can cause swelling/pain/fatigue in extremities...but sometimes it could be something as simple as the way you position your arms when running, clothing too tight that its hindering circulation, or clinching/tightening of muscles while running (without knowing that your doing it). If it's cold out during you run it could simply be the cold numbing them. If you feel it could be a health concern I would see your dr ASAP and take care of that before continuing yoru workouts.It's typically best to get a dr's clearance prior to starting a routine/training program. Hope you get to the bottom of it and sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Anthony D.

2006 Valley of Flowers Half Marathon Lompoc, CA: 1:35:15

2007 Inaugural Pismo Beach Half Marathon: 1:31:27

2007 Valley of Gold Half Marathon Tuscon, AZ: 1:40:08

2007 Valley of Flowers Half Marathon Lompoc, CA: 1:28:40

2007 Surf City USA Half Marathon Huntington Beach, CA: 1:31:31

2008 Pier to Peak Run Santa Barbara, CA

2008 Rock-n-Roll San Diego Marathon: 4:03:18

2008 Inaugural Rock-n-Roll San Antonio Marathon: 4:21:45

2009 Guam Ko'Ko Road Race Half Marathon: 1:29:37

2009 Guam PIC Half Marathon: 1:27:53

2010 Guam Ko'Ko' Road Race: 1:32:17

2010 Guam Marathon: 3:36:09

2010 Guam Perimeter Run 50K: 6:08

2011 Guam Two Lovers Point Half Marathon: 1:27:12

2011 XTERRA Guam Off-Road Triathlon Finisher

2011 Guam Summer Sprint Triathlon Series Finisher

2011 Rock-n-Roll San Antonio Marathon: 4:16:06

...and coming this year!!!

2012: "Highest Marathon in the America" Madison Marathon, Montana (July 2012); Air Force Marathon Wright-Pat AFB, OH (Sept 2012); Le Grizz 50K Glacier National Park Montana (Oct 2012); Dirty Dash Billings/Missoula Montana (June/Sept 2012)

"Run til' you cant anymore, then run some more..."

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    3. Jan 29, 2012 3:35 PM (in response to Jolene Duckie)

Jolene,

I certainly agree with the suggestions from the running coach.  I have experienced similiar issues and it is possible to be tensing muscles without being totally aware.  Try wearing weight-lifting (finger-free) or light-weight running gloves to see if this helps.  I know you said you do not have a problem with clinching fingers while running, but the hands, arms, shoulders, back and so on are responding to the intense movement, so that action is sometimes concentrated down into the hands.  The right gloves might assist to stabilize this..I wear them pretty much year around now.  They seem to work physically and mentally!

Hope this helps and best of luck!

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4. Feb 8, 2012 11:42 AM (in response to Jolene Duckie)

Jolene,

I was looking for a thread to ask a very similar question. I have very cold hands. My circulation isn't so great now that I'm in my mid-50s, although my BP is OK. I asked a local running coach last spring if he thought cold hands could affect your running at all, in any way. He said no, as long as you aren't pre-occupied with the fact that your hands are cold or are going to get cold. Just keep them loose, and shake them periodically, he said. Wear light running gloves (I bought a pair and they do help).

One thing I'm noticing now, and it's not only when I'm outdoors running, but when my hands get cold, is one or two fingertips may start to get tingly or even numb. Something like when a body part falls asleep, which leads me to believe it's a curculation thing, again. I don't know if this is what you're feeling, but it's happened to me a couple times while running outdoors (and while shoveling snow). When I look at the fingertip, it actually looks a little yellowish. I wouldn't think it's frostbite, as I wear gloves and it's only about 30-40 degrees. I don't run when it's very cold.

Do you always run with a bottle? Try going without it, and make your thumb and index finger into circles with light pressure, or shake your fingers out every now and then to release the tension. Try to stay away from forming fists with your hands.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points