Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

282196 Views 323 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2012 1:26 PM by NzAndy RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22 Previous Next
  • silentstrider Amateur 31 posts since
    Jan 11, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    46. Jan 25, 2012 7:11 PM (in response to edensacres)
    Taking the leap- Training for Spring 1/2 or full?

Ginny and Penny thanks for the well wishes.  I iced it and went to the doctor.  She put me on a dose pack of a cortical steroid to reduce the swelling, apparently I pulled my plantar.  Still on the meds, but I'm able to walk now.  Hope to be running again in a week.

Stephanie- On the course I have cliff bloks (carbs) and half a cliff bar, for when I get hungrier for something other than carbs.  I have to have a protien shake after the race though.  Oh I also run with my own water bottle so I can drink when I need to instead of when I get to a water point.

Hope everyone is having a great running week!!!

Nick

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 57:02 4/10/11

Chicago Run for the Zoo 10k 1:06:51 6/05/11

Chicago Half Marathon 2:33:49 9/11/11

Chicago Hot Chocolate 15k 1:34:20 11/05/11

Chicago Polar Dash 1/2 Marathon 2:21:11 (PR) 1/21/12

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 48:48 (PR) 3/25/12

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010

Nick~ Sunday's race is my second 10k, and will be a study in contrasts!  My first 10k was run in sweltering July 86 degree heat and high humidity -- they also ran out of water!   Tomorrow's weather is calling for low 20's, 10 - 15 mph wind and lig ht snow.  Looking forward to it!

Stephanie~Congratulations on your first 6 mile run!  I do agree about those 3 mile runs being challenging, esp. a few days after a long run.  It is all about building up muscle after tearing it down,  we come back stronger than ever!  Tempo runs were challenging for me in the beginning.   Four months ago when I began speedwork and tempo work, I ditched my ipod, and began listening to my foot falls instead (a suggestion from my runner son).  I can now 'hear' when I'm on pace by listening to my steps.  Also, I do a 1 mile warm up 1.5 - 2 minutes slower than my tempo pace, then ease into the run. 

Run strong, friends!

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    48. Jan 29, 2012 11:12 AM (in response to silentstrider)

Nick, glad you've found some treatment. Feel better soon!

Penny, sorry to hear you're also having troubles. Hope you conquer that.

Debra, 3 mi. in 6 degrees? You are a beast! I have second thoughts once the temp drops  below 20. Can't wait to hear how well your 10k went!

Ginny, so sorry to hear of your family problems. Have heard way to often lately about Leukemia deaths. It seems to have resurfaced as a very potent form of cancer and scares me. I am going to try to run the Philadelphia Marathon this year in November. I may join TNT if I can get my daughter's help. Of course, I'd just be running a HM. That's close?

I am back and it feels so good! There is nothing like a lung injury or something that hinders breathing to put a scare into a person. I kept trying to blame myself for slowing down and all I needed was some antibiotics. You'd think a person would know a body after living in it 60+ years. Anyway, started the Zpack on Saturday. Thursday's run I could actually breathe clearly and what a difference! My run was strong and steady and boy, did it feel good to be back. 4.5 mi. and 70 min. I was so afraid I'd rebound but I've been good. Yesterday we had some Weather. I waited it out but dressed in gym clothes and then tights and long sleeve hoodie just in case. Sun came out but there was quite a breeze. I just knew I'd regret it if I didn't try running outside and even after all the coddling and congestion I was fine. Ran and walked, but mostly ran 5 mi. and 75 min. Anyway, I've had the most wonderful runner's highs the last two days, so much so that I've felt the need to apologize a little for my good attitude. Thank goodness I'm not young and thin or I'd be insufferable. Very happy with life right now and so glad to be back.

Great runs this week, everybody!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• pennymt Expert 47 posts since
    May 8, 2011
    49. Jan 30, 2012 12:28 AM (in response to mkayc)

Thanks Stephanie and Mary Kay for the concern.

My toe is doing okay, just tried not to bear weight on my left foot for a couple of days, icing and elevating whenever possible.  Just did a slow careful  5-mile run to see how it affects my stride and pace.  So far, the toe feels normal.  Just applied  voltaren gel  before and after my run.

Ginny - hoping that things are working out with the current family situation.

Stephanie -  Have fun  training for the HM and keep us updated.  Just follow your training plan but be flexible enough to make some small adjustments when work schedule, family commitments, or something unexpected comes up.  Stay injury free and slowly break in the new pair when it arrives.

Mary Kay - so glad that you are feeling well.

It's a week of carbo loading before the big race day on Sunday.  My favorite part of training for the HM!  Just to remind myself that red velvet cupcakes, doughnuts, and tiramisu are not carbohydrates.   I will definitely have a cupcake or two after feb 5.

Run safe everyone!

Aug 2, 2010
    50. Jan 30, 2012 6:33 AM (in response to pennymt)

pennymt~Have a great taper week, and keep up the RICE routine for your toe.  You are going to rock your HM!!!  Soak up all the experiences during your race and enjoy them.  We will be looking forward to reading all about it.  RUN STRONG!

Ginny~I am so sorry to read about your family member's battle with leukemia.  As Stephanie said, the races will always be there.  My younger sister is battling kidney disease and awaiting a transplant.  Sometimes races have to be postponed, but running is what keeps me focused and able to be a better support to her. I will keep your family in my prayers.

Mary Kay~"My run was strong and steady"  Loved reading your post and you are back, girlfriend!

Yesterday's 10k race was great and a PR for me, too!  I woke up to mid-teen temps, overcast skies, 25 mph gusts and snow.  At one point in my life, I would have done an about-face and headed back to bed.  Not today!  The goal for this race was to not go out too fast, to keep an even 11:00 minute pace for the entire course and to hopefully beat my previous 10k time.  I'm happy to report that all three goals were realized, and I have a renewed confidence about tackling the HM in May.  Hopefully, the weather will be a bit milder then, BUT  I live in Wisconsin and it could still be snowing in May!

Have a great week everyone!

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011

Congratulations on the PR Debra!!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• jlo0812 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 29, 2012
    52. Jan 30, 2012 8:43 AM (in response to edensacres)

Congrats on making the plunge!  Looks as if a lot of others will be joining you this spring, including myself.  I just started running this month, after a friend stated she wanted to get a group of people together to do a half marathon in May.  Mind you, I haven't ran a mile since I was obligated to back in high school so the idea of a half marathon was hogwash.  But guess what I do, register for the Go! St. Louis half marathon a month earlier than the one suggested! I'm in a 12 week training program now where we run 3x/week and one cross train day with the longest run so far being the 4 miles we ran yesterday.  No injuries so far, feel a little pain and stiffness that some stretching should help alleviate. 

Has anyone began running with the first goal of running a half and not a 5k? I'd love to hear everyone's experiences!

• alaw73005 Amateur 9 posts since
    Feb 9, 2010
    53. Jan 30, 2012 12:54 PM (in response to edensacres)

jlo0812 - I ran/walked one 5K last May, but am planning on running a HM on April 29th. I'm very nervous, but agreed to do it with a friend (she's much, much younger than me). I currently can only run around 2.5 m without stopping, but have decided that I may have to do a run/walk combo to finish. I do kickboxing 2 days a week and have been running inconsistently. I plan on running 4 days a week and following the Beginner Half Marathon Program on the Cool Running website.

Good luck to all.

• silentstrider Amateur 31 posts since
    Jan 11, 2012
    54. Jan 30, 2012 7:58 PM (in response to alaw73005)

Ginny, sorry to hear about your family member, I wish you and your family the best.

Debra, congrats on the 10k PR!!!

I tried running today just to put wieght on the foot.  Ran 2 miles, way too fast, at about a 5k pace, instead for taking it easy.  Big mistake, the ankle is now a little sore.  Am still going to up the mileage in a day or two but run at my half pace, just to keep my mileage up.  After taking a week off, I feel the need to get back out there.  Hope everyone's runs are going well.

Nick

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 57:02 4/10/11

Chicago Run for the Zoo 10k 1:06:51 6/05/11

Chicago Half Marathon 2:33:49 9/11/11

Chicago Hot Chocolate 15k 1:34:20 11/05/11

Chicago Polar Dash 1/2 Marathon 2:21:11 (PR) 1/21/12

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 48:48 (PR) 3/25/12

• Rennmaus Pro 61 posts since
    Jun 28, 2011
    56. Feb 5, 2012 2:40 PM (in response to edensacres)

Hi everybody,

I hope that those of you who were racing this weekend had as much of a good time as I did! I ran my first 10k ever.... and it has been quite an experience. Although I am already running more than those 6 miles (current my PB is 7.6 miles) I found this 10k quite a challenge. First it was a huge event with thousands of runners and I was constantly running in a big bulk of people. Second, I quite felt the pressure of a big race. And last, this course wasn't as flat as I thought I would be, it had several "hills", so ever so often I was running uphill-downhill. I usually run my long distance runs in the flat. So it felt like quite a challenge and I didn't feel good about my running at all. What cheered me up though - at every mile marker I noticed that I was quite between 10 and 11 minutes per mile, often enough closer to 10. This was great for me. Still, the race felt challenging and at mile 3 I decided to run with music. That helped a bit... Anyway, I am proud to say that I finished the 10k happily with a PB of 1:05:49 :-) This is about 7 minutes faster than in my practice runs! Needless to say I am totally overjoyed.:-)))))  It is also good to have the comparison of a long distance race compared to my lonely long distance runs at the beach... quite a difference! And I have to say, now after my first 10k I have even more respect for those who run half marathons or even marathons... I am still planning to run a half marathon this year, but I also know I will give myself lots of time to get there! I feel that it will make sense to run several 10k's first! Anyway... I am happy!

Britta

Britta

XTERRA Crystal Cove Trail Run 6k - 52:33.5

Redondo Beach Superbowl Run 10k - 01:05:49

Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay 11/18/2012

Aug 2, 2010
    57. Feb 6, 2012 7:18 AM (in response to Rennmaus)

CONGRATULATIONS BRITTA!!!!!  WTG on the PB!  Races can be a challenge with crowds of runners jostling about, unfamiliar courses and dealing with the excitement of the event.  You should be so proud of yourself for dealing with all of the challenges.  You listened to your body and adapted to what you needed to motivate yourself and keep going.  Enjoy the afterglow of a great race!

Stephanie~So sorry to read about the bruised ribs you are dealing with.  ouch!!!!  Take care, and heal fast.

pennymt~Thought of you yesterday, and hope your HM went well!

Nick~How's the foot/ankle doing???? 

Saturday morning I ran my first 10 mile distance!   WoooHooo!!!   I am really happy it all went well, and I could have gone on.  For 3 months I was stuck at 8 miles for my long distance.  Sometimes I am so impatient with my progress, but I have to remember it is all about building a strong base of miles.  Next 2 weekends will be a repeat of the 10 mile distance, but now I know I am capable of it. 

Have a great week everyone!!

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    58. Feb 6, 2012 7:48 AM (in response to pennymt)

Penny - red velvet cupcakes, doughnuts, and tiramisu are not carbohydrates? Wha wha what? I am running so I can eat and now you say what? Cannot compute. There must be a really good reason for such talk. Can't wait for your race report.

Congratulations Debra on your new PR and especially on getting out there!!! You are so fierce!!! "At one point in my life, I would have done an about-face and headed back to bed." That was just last week for me. I don't know how you do it. What a fantastic milestone, also, reaching 10 miles!! I have no idea if I will but hope to be able to say that some day this year. You should be so pleased with your progress. I'm impressed!!

jlo and alaw - Bravo on taking the first step and stick with it. It's a win-win. You can run or run/walk or run and then finish walking. I know it's hard to relax but you'll enjoy the journey a lot more if you don't stress it. That's what I keep telling myself.

Nick - sorry it hasn't been easy. Are you already running inside? If not, maybe a treadmill will be easier for transition.

Stephanie - sooo sorry about the hips. Sounds like what I just went through. After six weeks of PT, I have absolutely no residual pain and I was running the last two weeks of that. You've been progressing really well so this may not be a huge setback and you might see some real benefit to your training from the PT. I have. Maintaining conditioning was a challenge. Maybe they can give you some better suggestions for that than my PT gave me.

Congrats, Britta!!! Sounds like a great experience and so glad you enjoyed it!! That was a really good time, also.

Oh, Debra, what a fantastic

I really struggled during yesterday's run. It was my first push past what I've done so far (5 mi) and with such beautiful weather, there was nothing to blame and no good reason to quit barring a heart attack. Around mile 3.5 Hal Higdon says "Picture yourself being able to run 13.1 miles; visualize success and you will reach it." I'm thinking if it weren't for needing the music to calm myself down I'd throw this damn phone in the bushes. I wish I could visualize mile 4.

Well, after all the whining, I ran the 6 miles I was sure I couldn't do but I have serious doubts about 7 in two weeks. One foot in front of the other. Found myself a functional idiot last night though. The brain just wasn't engaged. Had to cut my date short and then I had trouble sleeping. That is not good. Wondering if I should have had more water or something else or if it's just a normal adjustment. Any thoughts?

Hope you all have great weather and fabulous runs this week!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• ydiez Pro 113 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    59. Feb 6, 2012 11:03 AM (in response to edensacres)

Yesterday I completed my goal and run my first half. I am really happy to say that, after three months I have gone from occasional runner to running a half marathon in 1:36:07 (not exactly world record but a major achievement for me!).

From now on, I plan on keeping my weekly mileage and running some half marathons. If I can I will improve my time, but am not really too concerned about it. If things go well and I am still keeping my training schedule one year from now, I will start thinking of training for a full marathon.

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

I like half marathons! Nine completed so far and on PB shape. One to go!. Then it's marathon time.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...