Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2075617 Views 11,391 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2014 7:25 AM by shipo RSS Go to original post 1 ... 667 668 669 670 671 ... 760 Previous Next
  • runblissful Amateur 34 posts since
    Sep 17, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,020. Jan 26, 2012 6:54 AM (in response to CapnDonkey)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello Runners,

So yesterday I planned to do my W1D2 run and drove over to my moms to get my dog (I recently moved into an apartment-no animals allowed). I get there and it is her day off so we decide to go check out a new trail area that we just found out about. I was going to do my run, she was going to walk and then we would walk together. So we get there and I knew from the start I wasn't going to run because it was steep switchback mountian climbing. So unprepared (ie:no water, no snacks, and new to the trail) we started hiking up, and up and up...

We didn't summit, we turned around about a mile from the top. It was still a 3 hour hike up and back. Then we went to the club to get in the Hot tub and after a bit a water aerobics class began and I had been wanting to try it out so we did. I slept very good last night to say the least and actually the water aerobics was good for streching and easing my body.

So although I didn't run I did get way more exercise than I expected. I was also trying to figure out how to get my C25K program to start on Wednesday so now that is figured out because now my last Week 1 day will be on Sunday, then I start Week 2 on Wednesday. Problem solved!!

Have a great day.

Kristi

• NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    10,021. Jan 26, 2012 9:30 AM (in response to CapnDonkey)
    200+ Pound Club!

My understanding is that shin splints are usually a result of over working the muscles in your lower legs.  If they aren't ready for the strain of running then splints are a common result.  Cross training will help with this so get on a bike (real or stationary) and/or do specific exercises to strengthen those muscles.  The disclaimer here is that I'm no doctor but by taking this approach from the start as instructed by experienced triathletes I've never had an issue with shin splints.  Personally I prefer the bike for low impact exercise.  If doing some of these things doesn't fix it then consult a professional.  The good news is that by doing these other exercises you will do no wrong and only benefit from them. 

It's an easy trap to fall into by thinking that focusing your efforts on walking and/or running you'll improve and get all your goals for fitness and weight loss.  This is partly because you will get good results and see improvement.  But by all means include a more holistic approach for the best results.  I used to just ride my bike but found when I added the swim and run I improved my bike performance with less training time.  Besides, you'll be working different muscles and allowing the tired ones to recover which is just as important as working out.

The point is that there's plenty of things you can do that will help your overall goals and will only make you better.  Keep at it and never quit, just vary your approach as needed.  You will get results, I guarantee it.

Andy

• VeganRican Expert 40 posts since
    Dec 4, 2011
    10,022. Jan 26, 2012 12:43 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

wide guy...what do you mean by running gently????

HI EVERYONE!!!! Welcome to the Newbies! And HELLO to the OLDIES! Nice to see how busy and active you all are....

I repeated week 3, and tomorrow is w3d3, AGAIN, for me, so next week I'm on to week 4 even though I'm scared to death. So far, so good....

I've lost 19lbs, still injury free, inspite of the few weird pain sensations that come and go at times. I've been icing my shins after runs, JUST IN CASE. Hopefully that's OK. I've been stretching too. I'll let you all know how Monday goes on w4d1...woohoo!!!!!!!!!!

• hudsonstacey43 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 26, 2012
    10,023. Jan 26, 2012 12:59 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi everyone! I am new here and just curious if everybody weigh's 200+ pounds. I know it is really hard, very long journey for us but it is never to late. Keep rocking guys also keep sharing your thoughts on how to lose weight easily.

• CapnDonkey Amateur 22 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    10,024. Jan 26, 2012 1:05 PM (in response to hudsonstacey43)
    200+ Pound Club!

I certainly weigh over 200.  Probably always will, until I am bones.  And they'll be some heavy bones, still!

Also, there is no EASY way to lose weight.  There is a SIMPLE way:  Eat smarter, Exercise more.

And even that's not easy.  Hard work + dedication = results.

Started training 8/27/10 - 357.5 lbs

Lowest weight in 2011 - 308.1 lbs

Post Injury weight on 12/15/11 - 351.4 lbs

Current weight 5/31/12 - 330 lbs

Goal Weight - 12/25/12 - 250.00 lbs

Major Setbacks - Willpower, muscle retention.

• hudsonstacey43 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 26, 2012
    10,025. Jan 26, 2012 1:10 PM (in response to CapnDonkey)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hard though! I tried going to the gym but when I stop for sometime, my weights became doubled.

• FatOldFirstTimer Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 25, 2012
    10,026. Jan 26, 2012 3:06 PM (in response to CapnDonkey)
    200+ Pound Club!

I fought with shin splints when I first got back into running. One of the guys at one of the fitness stores I go to offered some advice on how to solve the issue. I will paste a link to these exercises, because it's easier than writing it all out. The problem is, most likely, your dorsi flexor is not very strong. If you try these easy exercises, and it doesn't help, I would recommend seeking professional advice. I hope this helps though. Good luck.

hhttp://www.livestrong.com/article/337629-ankle-plantar-dorsiflexion-exercises/ttp://

My initial goal is to finish the 2012 Memorial Day 1/2 Marathon.

My further interest is to be more physically fit and to raise good money for worthy charities.

I appreciate any advice that you are willing to give to me.

• Scott the Dad Amateur 10 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10,027. Jan 26, 2012 6:26 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

now that i get email notifications i have somthing to read when it gets slow at work.  I am currently just over 200 lbs.  I finished my C25K on the same day as my first 5k. (Oct 2011)  Ran that in 33:02  I am now setting my sites on a 10k so i can "qualify" for the Walt Disney World Half Marathon in Jan 2013.  I am also looking forward to a 4 mile military obstacle race called the Finn McCool 4 Mile Odyssey.  I run 3 to 4 times a week.  This past Sunday was my longest run to date  a 5 miler.  I have now mapped out my next long run which will be 6 miles  

Keep up the great work everyone!!!!

Scott

Couch to 5K started - August 7, 2011

Couch to 5K completed - 10/22/11

First 5k - October 22, 2011 GBTK Chowder Challenge DONE in 33:02 finished 172 out of 240 runners

• joedadd Pro 122 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10,028. Jan 27, 2012 3:28 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Ran c25k w5d2 this morning and felt very good. Was very tired when I woke up and considered going back to sleep but I probably wouldnt have been able to get back to sleep. I would have been angry at myself for delaying my run another day so I am happy I went. It is a very foggy morning but also quite warm at 43. On to the 20 minute run on Sunday...should be a breeze.

Weight:

12/18/2011 - 280 LBS

10/2/2012 - 248 LBS

Short term goal - 10/31/2012 - 241 LBS

Intermediate Goal - 230 LBS by 12/31/2012

Long term goal - 190 LBS - Sometime in the distant future.

Running: Complete Broad Street Run May 2013

• runblissful Amateur 34 posts since
    Sep 17, 2011
    10,029. Jan 27, 2012 2:51 PM (in response to joedadd)
    200+ Pound Club!

Did my W1D2 run. I always laugh because at one point in the podcast that I listen to he say's that i should be feeling the effort of running but not out of breath or struggling. Hahahaha well I am not struggling but I always breath hard. Even at only 60 sec intervals I still breath heavier, but I can still talk, just don't want to.

On Sunday I will do my next run. It is helping to swim on my off days to keep me in the habit of exercising and also it makes me feel good.

happy running,

Kristi

• Jyuukai Amateur 19 posts since
    Jan 11, 2012
    10,030. Jan 28, 2012 6:36 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Oh wow it's been a little bit of time!

I repeated week 2 this week as my running partner really struggled with it.  After doing the W2 run 5 times though I'd had enough!

So yesterday I loaded up the W3 podcast, got myself ready and.. dominated it!  After so many W2 runs the first 3 minute run was as easy as walking to me!  My breathing was easy, my heart wasn't pounding out of my chest, my legs felt GREAT!

The 90 second runs were not even registering as runs to me   The second 3 minute run was a bit slower because it was mostly uphill but it was easy as well!  I was disapointed when the workout was over!

I had a bad run last week up a hill and winded myself horribly so I wasn't sure I could do W3.  I'm glad I tried it, it was a real confidence booster and I can't wait to do it again monday!

Dec 4, 2011
    10,031. Jan 28, 2012 11:46 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

HELLO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!! Glad to hear everyone is facing their own challenges, and moving forward anyway....

hudsonstacey, I weigh 202lbs, and was 220 when I started. I'm starting week 4 on Monday, but I've also repeated week 1,  3 times, and week 3, 2 times! So, I lost that weight in 60 days, 18lbs. It is hard, but we can do it, and I'm sure in a few months, we won't be 200 plus anymore!

CapnDonkey - I agree, Eat Smart, Exercise More! That's it!!! No secret, just common sense.

FirstTimer - THANKS SO MUCH for posting that link. I'm going to read it after I post here.

Scott, Congrats!!! 5 miles is NOTHING TO SNEEZE AT!!! I can't wait until I can get 2 miles under my belt, without walking!

Joe - Can't wait to feel good at week 5! PHEW!!!! I start week 4 on Monday and I'm SUPER SCARED!!!! LOL

Kristi - You're doing Fantastic!!! KEEP GOING!!!!!!!!!!!

Jyuukal, Congrats! I know exactly how you feel. I couldn't believe it when I finished week 3!!! Now I start week 4, and that's going to blow my mind!

Have a great weekend everyone!!!!!!!!! And keep running!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 4, 2011
    10,032. Jan 28, 2012 11:49 AM (in response to FatOldFirstTimer)
    200+ Pound Club!

OldTIMER, you have an extra "h" in the beginning of your link there..... But when I clicked on it, for some reason, it said file was not found.

So, I'm hoping this is the one you meant: http://www.livestrong.com/article/337629-ankle-plantar-dorsiflexion-exercises/http://

Dec 4, 2011
    10,033. Jan 28, 2012 11:50 AM (in response to VeganRican)
    200+ Pound Club!

HEY!!!! It didn't work when I clicked on MY LINK either...what the heck!!!

So, this is what I did to get it, for those of you that are interested.

Go to Google and just type in "Ankle Plantar/dorsiflexion exercises on Live Strong"  It should come up then....

• HouseKat Amateur 17 posts since
    Dec 4, 2011
    10,034. Jan 28, 2012 11:57 AM (in response to VeganRican)
    200+ Pound Club!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Started C25K December 4th, 2011

Completed: W5D2 (4x)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...