Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2636 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 26, 2012 1:53 PM by Jasko123 RSS
Guy Grim Pro 61 posts since
Nov 14, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 26, 2012 6:58 AM

Getting Faster with Intervals

Hiya Folks;

I am try to work on "getting faster" with my times and I read this guide http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Run_with_more_muscle.htm?cmp=1747.

This is the recommended plan..

Week 14 x 30-sec. hill sprints w/ 2-min. active recoveries
Week 26 x 30-sec. hill sprints w/ 2-min. active recoveries
Week 38 x 30-sec hill sprints w/ 2-min. active recoveries
Week 4 (Recovery)6 x 30-sec. hill sprints w/ 2-min. active recoveries
Week 56 x 1-min. hill sprints w/ 2-min. active recoveries
Week 68 x 1-min. hill sprints w/ 2-min. active recoveries
Week 710 x 1-min. hill sprints w/ 2-min. active recoveries
Week 8 (Recovery)6 x 1-min. hill sprints w/ 2-min. active recoveries
Week 93 x 3 min. @ 5K race pace w/ 3-min. active recoveries
Week 104 x 3 min. @ 5K race pace w/ 3-min. active recoveries
Week 115 x 3 min. @ 5K race pace w/ 3-min. active recoveries
Week 12 (Recovery)3 x 3 min. @ 5K race pace w/ 3-min. active recoveries

My question is :  Do I run these sprints - while I am running "say" a 3 mile run or is this separate and apart from any other running activity. 

Thanks.. I just ran my week 1 sprints yesterday.  Was actually more fun than I anticipated.

Paul

Training

656 Total Miles Since November 15, 2010 - 35 Miles YTD (1/20/12)

PR

5K - 27:46 (07/24/2011)

20K - 01:59:39 (09/05/2011)

13.1M - 02:08:58 (08/07/2011)

26.2M - TBD in 2012

Recent Races

Orange, CT - 5K Chilly Chili Run - Time of 29:07 - 1/1/2012

TeamGrimmy.com

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Jan 26, 2012 7:48 AM (in response to Guy Grim)

I do my intervals workout as my run for the day.  I always do fairly long warm up and cool down, if in a marathon cycle do a extra long warm up and cooldown.  Good luck watch your calfs this will stress them.

• NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    2. Jan 26, 2012 9:52 AM (in response to Guy Grim)

I do my hill sprints as part of a 3 mile run, just about in the middle.  I agree that a good warm up and cool down are essential for intervals.  I'm not sure what your experience level is so I'll throw in some info that might help, but with a 2:08 half marathon time you're doing well already.  Maybe someone else can benefit as well.

Speed intervals are intended to lift your maximum aerobic performance level.  The idea is to push yourself just into the anarobic region where you're muscles are starting to burn and you're producing more lactic acid than your muscles can get rid of.  By doing this you'll get better at removing the acid and be able to run faster for longer.  Shorter intervals, typically a minute or less, will target your threshold while longer ones at race pace will tend to target your overall endurance speed.  The chart you show will build a higher threshold early on and then use it to improve your overall race pace which is probably just what you're after. 

One thing worth mentioning about sprints and intervals.  Don't do them in the same workout as longer endurance training because they're aiming for different results.  Long runs at endurance pace will improve your mitochondria production in your muscles which is essential for the energy needed on long workouts.  Training at levels that produce lactic acid destroys that new mitochondria growth and is therefore counter productive.  I deliberately do speed work on week days and endurance work on weekends. 

A friend is a professional cycling coach.  He recommends a 2x20 minute interval at 75% effort with a 3 minute recovery for endurance building and for speed work it's 8x30 second high intensity (90 to 100%) effort with 1:30 to recover.  By the last interval you won't be recovering much at all and it's not uncommon for amateurs to only do 5 or 6 intervals so a lower intensity works too.  Any recovery past 3 minutes is too long because your heart rate should be down as much as it's going to be at that point.

Best of luck with your racing this year.

Andy

• Kinver88 Pro 80 posts since
    Oct 2, 2010
    4. Jan 26, 2012 1:32 PM (in response to Guy Grim)

Definitely keep them separate to your longer runs as the idea is to hit these sessions feeling fresh so that you can kick up and maintain the intensity of the session.

Looks like a good plan though. I was down the track yesterday and managed 8km of sprinting in total....it was tough!

Triathlon Rankins - Triathlon Forum

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    5. Jan 26, 2012 1:53 PM (in response to Guy Grim)

Hi Guy,

I agree with the advice to initially focus on speed and endurance in separate sessions.  The good news is that the two will continually merge over time, and you will develop greater skills with controlling or adjusting pace, for example.  I can only offer the obvious and that is:  training for race pace is somewhat unpredictable due to a number of variables, but reducing the recovery time for intervals may assist for the long haul.  Focusing on the LR days improved my performance the most...everyone is different. 

Wishing you all the best!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...