Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

670 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2012 12:31 PM by Porffor RSS
Porffor Amateur 13 posts since
Jan 28, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 29, 2012 4:57 AM

Jogging on the spot

Is this the same / almost the same as running?

We've got a Wii Fit package and wondered as I'm doing C25K with my eldest daughter - who is reluctant to run in all weathers. It's winter in the UK and today is raining and cold. Now.. I'm happy to wrap up - stick a baseball cap on and get down to real running but she is not.

So, for today she's thinking of doing the Wii Island run for 30 mins - I'd do mine in intervals I think. But I'd also like to get proper runs in as per the Schedule - so will do this Tuesday and so forth (I can't do tomorrow).

Thanks.

• silentstrider Amateur 31 posts since
    Jan 11, 2012
    1. Jan 29, 2012 6:57 AM (in response to Porffor)
    Jogging on the spot

Jogging on the spot, will raise your heart rate and has exercise value.  That being said however, there is more exercise value in running outdoors or on a treadmill.  Jogging on the spot, you have no value of distance, or the effort put forth, as to how much you've run or other running nuiances such as hills or dips.  Realisticlly too, your going to burn more energy on a full run, where you are lengthening you stride, as opposed to shifting your wieght from one foot to the other while jogging.  I personally only jog in place when waiting for the light to change while running in Chicago, and thats just to keep my heart rate up.  Hope it helps, run safe. 

Nick

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 57:02 4/10/11

Chicago Run for the Zoo 10k 1:06:51 6/05/11

Chicago Half Marathon 2:33:49 9/11/11

Chicago Hot Chocolate 15k 1:34:20 11/05/11

Chicago Polar Dash 1/2 Marathon 2:21:11 (PR) 1/21/12

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 48:48 (PR) 3/25/12

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    2. Jan 29, 2012 12:03 PM (in response to Porffor)
    Jogging on the spot

Running or jogging in place, if you do it for long enough, will get you an aerobic workout. However, it emphasizes very different leg and lower body muscles, and has a completely different footstrike than an actual run. It is not a substitute for "real" running either on the roads or on a treadmill.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...