Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

907 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2012 12:57 AM by thighsbgone
thighsbgone Rookie 3 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 30, 2012 3:15 AM

permanent injury advice?

Morning all. 

I did the c25k about 6 years ago and really began to enjoy running.  Then stopped as I had my first wee one.  Now I'm wanting to shed some baby pounds and a bit of wobble on the thighs and want to get back to running.  Problem is, I'm now missing 75% of the cartilige on one side of one knee.  Now, I'm aware that being on the heavy side doesn't help and I am losing weight.  I'm also aware that just by using the knee in the course of general life it's quietly getting more damaged and that one day, hopefully a long way off, it will decide it really doesn't want to work any more.  Question is, do I go back to running, having to start again, and say stuff it, my knee's never gonna be tip top again, get the running in whilst I can whilst knowing that its probably gonna make that far off day a little closer??  Or do I sigh and get on with other stuff that, whilst its never gonna be great for my knee, won't do it quite the damage that I anticipate running (especially whilst carrying the extra poundage) will do?  What would you do?? 

Thanks all

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Jan 30, 2012 3:31 PM (in response to thighsbgone)
    permanent injury advice?

Try re-posting your question in the Med Tent for the best advice.  As you know, swimming and pedaling are usually recommended instead of running, but it is important to talk to your doctors/PT about appropriate treatment and exercise options.  It sounds like you are in a situation of being overly cautious about your knee for the rest of your life, so you many want to seriously evaluate your options regarding running (especially if that places you at greater risk for a knee replacement procedure in the future). 

I know it must be frustrating, but I would defer to expert advice about alternative diet and training plans, while also sharing with them your wish to prepare for possibly resuming running.  Keep the faith and focus on your overall health.  There are many wonderful people out there willing to help formulate the best solutions for your individual circumstances...just search them out and be willing to listen to a variety of suggestions before choosing the path that fits your goals. 

Wishing you all the best and wonderful recovery progress!

• Leadville Fan Pro 176 posts since
    Oct 8, 2009
    2. Feb 1, 2012 9:55 AM (in response to thighsbgone)
    permanent injury advice?

Do what's best for you with your doctor's advise.

I have no acl in either knee and had  a different doc for each knee surgery.  The last ortho said not to do any running, etc and that even with just walking I'd need a knee replacemnet in 15 years. This doctor also has the reputation of being overly cautious.

I listened to him, I started walking, went to eating GF (because there was a reason, not 'cause I wanted to spend more money on food) and finally got off the prednisone after just over a decade of being on that.

I started walking, started walking more, started walking at 15% incline on the t'mill and entered a race w/ my sister who assured me I could just walk it. .  . not with the energy that crowd created!  I started running and have fallen in love.

Four years after running I am 6 years into teh "in 15 years you'll need a knee replacement" and my knees feel stronger. I do stretches to strengthen them. Now I'm focusing on strengthening more core so I can have more stability in my hips and knees and ankles when I run.

That said, i'm not missing cartilige in my knee like you are!

adult running life commenced: March 2009

2012 Rock n Roll USA Marathon 5:28:53 unseasonably hot day, full sunshine, sunburned and dehydrated during race

Omaha Maraton 5:17: __ yeah, new PR! Too bad the brain got in the way and slowed me down! ---recycled glass finisher medals.

2011:

April Fools 5K 32:13.7 age division: 28/71

7th half: Kansas City Hospital Hill 1/2--this thing is tough, but the heat/humidity were tougher: 2:45:43

8th half: Park 2 Park 1/2-New PR 2:21 and change

St. Louis FULL Marathon (my first!!!) Hilly, hilly, course full of turns 5:24

Sullivan Bros. Veterans' 5K 30:10 New 5K PR

2010:

4th half (5/1/10) --ran injured, DUMB move.

Sullivan Bros. Veteran's 5K/10K (11/2010) 1:07:17.7

6th half: Vegas half (12/2010) New PR! woot woot. 02:27:58

St. Patricks 8K (Wash. D.C.) (3/2009)

1st half 3:04 (5/2009)

10K 1:17 (10/31/09) HOT, humid, Kaua'i

3rd half: Vegas 1/2 (2:34:48) (12/2009)

I will live my life; life lived in fear is not living. ~~me

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Feb 1, 2012 11:15 AM (in response to Leadville Fan)
    permanent injury advice?

I am. I have had three operations on my left knee each taking more cartilage out.  My last one was 10 years ago, I too was told told knee replacement in 15 years.  I started running about 5 years ago to do something with my daughter who was/is a gifted runner.  Just like Leadville Fan my knee feels as good as it has in 20 years, I have averaged about 2,000 miles per year the last three years.  Good luck.

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    4. Feb 3, 2012 5:18 PM (in response to thighsbgone)
    permanent injury advice?

FWIW, tbg, If you chose to stretch those legs out a bit and take on some running, look much more closely at learning good, gentle, natural running form than you might ordinarily have been inclined to do.  Barefoot style running is all about using your whole body to keep your gait smooth and shock to your knees and the rest of you to an absolute minimum.  There are some great books available now and much info on the web to point you in the right direction.

Check out the Barefoot Runners Society, Barefoot University, Chi Running and the Pose Method.

Good luck!

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...