Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2156 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2012 1:52 PM by Jasko123 RSS
oregonbound22 Rookie 2 posts since
Feb 1, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 1, 2012 4:16 PM

What is your 5k strategy?

There are many different 5k strategies, I read a good article the other day and tried it in a recent race. It worked out really well. The link is below:

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-run-5k-10860665.html?cat=5

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Feb 1, 2012 6:30 PM (in response to oregonbound22)

Thanks!

• deanscox Pro 107 posts since
    Jan 3, 2012
    2. Feb 16, 2012 8:47 AM (in response to oregonbound22)

To survive?

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    3. Feb 16, 2012 1:52 PM (in response to oregonbound22)

Interesting article...I disagree with the plan for the first mile, but it depends on the individual, the overall 5k route, level of fitness and so on.  Personally, I have found that it is difficult to compensate for time lost early on in any race, so I would recommend taking that into consideration.  It may be more beneficial (for some) to go ahead and start out full speed and establish the pace early on, even if the final half mile is a bit slower.  Others are fine with blasting out the final mile, but again (depending on training and adequate preparation) that option might backfire.  For example, if the final leg is totally uphill or a steady incline...the theory of busting forward near the end, or even keeping pace, is somewhat diminished.

Thank you for sharing the information. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points